In another, violet is called Saintpaulia. In Saintpaulia the most charming and varied colors of flowers. That is why among your friends you will find more than one passionate lover of violets. It can be said with confidence that virtually any person knows what a violet looks like. From this we can conclude that violet is the most popular of the decorative flowering houseplants.
Appearance of violet
These plants are miniature. And no violet is a copy of another. Uzambarsky violets are extremely diverse and variegated in color. Their color may be white, and all shades of pink and blue shades.
Violets are miniature, semi-miniature, microminiature, ampelous and standard. Rosettes for large varieties - from 40 to 60 cm, for standard ones - 20 cm and more, for miniature ones - up to 15 cm, for microminiature ones - up to 6 cm, for semi-miniature ones - up to 20 cm.
Also there is a separation of violets by color:monophonic, multicolor (chintz), chimera, fantasy, border. In violet-chimeras (a special kind of multi-flowered Saintpaulia) from the center of the petal to the end are strips of bright color. Violets-fantasy are distinguished by the fact that there is a pattern in the form of dots, specks, peas, streaks and splashes on the main background. There may be more than one edging on the petals of the limbaceous violets. The white border is called "Geneva." The width of the border, as well as the second border is very influenced by the temperature when laying the buds. In the heat, the border may disappear altogether, and appear when it gets cold.
Violets are divided by flower shape on violet (pansies), star-color and the so-called form "wasp". The first form, when the two lower petals are larger than the upper. These are classic violets. They can grow wild. The second all five petals are the same size. Star-flowers can be terry (if there are several complementary petals) and semi-double (if there are one or two additional petals). The shape of the flower "wasp" - very fashionable and popular lately. In a flower, the petals of the upper lip appear smaller than the petals of the lower lip due to the fact that they are folded.
Violets are divided into female and male individuals.
If there is a stain at the base of the leaf, then it is a female flower. If there is no stain - male.
Leaves senpoly has light green, dark green, up to almost black. There are also variegated. The diversity is due to the presence of white, pink, yellowish inclusions on the surface of the sheet, as well as in the form of a border.
The surface of the leaves can be smooth or rough, as well as quilted.
The edges of the leaves can be both smooth and wavy, toothed, corrugated.
The location of the violet in the house
Violets are very thermophilic plants. Therefore, choose the warmest rooms for them from your home. It is not recommended to grow saintpaulias on the south windows.
- Lighting. Avoid direct sunlight on Saintpaulia. They are suitable diffused light. However, variegated forms need more sunlight than usual.
- Temperature. The minimum temperature is 20 ° C. The most favorable temperature is 22 ° C -25 ° C. Adult can withstand temperatures of 18 ° C, but not small violets. From this it follows that the children can not be kept on the windowsill, as there is quite cool in the morning.
- Air humidity should be moderately high. Violets love spraying. Only you need to do this around them. It is also useful to put violets on pallets with wet expanded clay or moss.
- Watering 2-3 times a week. It is advisable to pour soft water and through the pan. The remaining water in the pan is drained after about twenty minutes. This is done so that the roots do not rot. Land before watering should dry out a bit.
- Breeds cuttings. Everyone knows that it is necessary to tear off a leaf from a violet and put it in water, and it will take root.
- Transplanted once a year in spring.
Pests and diseases of violets
Violets are susceptible to such pests as cyclamen mite and leaf aphid. Violets can develop diseases like gray rot and powdery mildew. For information on how to save your pet from these misfortunes, read the article Primrose or Primula in your home.
Growing colorful violets is not at all difficult. Therefore, do not be afraid to start, and perhaps you will join the ranks of passionate lovers of these flowers.