Gippeastrum is considered to be one of the most beautiful plants of the Amaryllis family. Proper care at home is able to ensure the flowering of this plant 3 times a year. Hippeastrum itself came to us from the warm tropics, which is why it is grown only at home. He, like other bulb flowers, can be grown specifically for the holiday or an important date. Hippeastrum flowers are very beautiful and look spectacular, and with proper care at home, the growth of the plant itself can reach 120 cm. And the number of hippeastrum varieties is large, so you can choose it according to your taste, color and size.
Hippeastrum. Basic rules of care
- A well-lit window located on the south, west or east side will suit the flower.
- The optimal temperature for normal growth of hippeastrum is from 18 to 220WITH.
- During the active growth of leaves and flowering it needs to be watered very well, while avoiding overmoistening.
- During its active growth, it is imperative to feed the hippeastrum. It is enough to do this once a week with a fertilizer complex designed specifically for flowering plants. It is impossible to feed the flower with organic fertilizers, otherwise it may cause the bulb to rot.
- From mid-March, the temperature in the room where the hippeastrum is located must be at least +180WITH. Also during this period it is necessary to increase the amount of watering.
- On the hippeastrum at the time of the appearance of the first leaves, or slightly earlier, the flower stem is formed. Since the end of March, the first flowering of the plant occurs. In May, it is advisable to move the hippeastrum to a cool place, preferably to a balcony. This will provide the flower with the necessary resting state. To the bulb gippeastrum was able to increase the volume, cut the leaves should not be.
- During the rest period, it is also necessary to lower the temperature and keep it in the range of 10 to 120C. Be sure to reduce the amount of watering, but the roots of the bulbs should not dry out. During periods of rest (per year they are usually 3 — each within two months), the hippeastrum cannot be fed.
- With a lack of light and high temperature, the hippeastrum begins to stretch strongly, so it is better to move it to a well-lit place and reduce the temperature by a couple of degrees.
Reproduction of gippeastrum at home
- The reproduction of hippeastrum occurs by seeds or daughter bulbs.If preference was given to seeds, they should be fresh. Seed propagation is quite complicated, since gippeastrum will begin to bloom only 5 years after the seeds rise, and the signs of belonging to a variety with this method of reproduction are not preserved in gippeastrum.
- A flower can only be repotted when the hippeastrum is at rest. The pot should have normal proportions and a height slightly larger than the diameter of the pot. For transplantation, it is necessary to prepare a mixture of leaf soil, sand and turf soil in a ratio of 1 to 1 and to 2. From the wall of the pot to the edge of the bulb the distance should be no more than 3 cm. Too spacious pot will prevent abundant flowering of hippeastrum.
Hippeastrum bloom at home
- Hippeastrum has a powerful hollow peduncle. It is on it gradually bloom from 2 to 6 flowers. Flat, belt-like leaves begin to appear during flowering. For this reason, a long period of time in the pot is only a flower with large and bright flowers with a diameter of 10 to 30 cm.
- Flowers of hybrid hippeastrum are quite varied in coloring. They are red, orange, pink, cream or white. The color may be uniform or similar to a multicolored pattern in the form of lines, strokes or specks.
- Inflorescences home gippeastrumov are simple or terry.
- From November to February, the flower is usually expelled.For New Year's holidays, you can give a flowering hippeastrum, and for a lover of floriculture, the best gift will be a hippeastrum bulb, from which he can receive a flowering plant for the March holidays.
Home care tips for hippeastrum
- To gippeastrum bloomed, you must follow the rules of care for him at home. Before you plant a bulb, you need to lower it into the water for 5 hours. The water temperature should be slightly above room temperature. In the water should be the roots and bottom of the bulb. Once the hippeastrum has faded, do not discard the bulb. With proper care, the plant is able to rejoice in flowering for several years.
- Cut the stalks after flowering, and let the leaves develop to the end.For this you need to water, fertilize and care for hippeastrum until next fall. It is very good to fertilize a flower with a non-concentrated solution of mullein with mineral salts or liquid fertilizer for flowers.
- In the summer it is better to put it on the terrace or balcony. If possible, pots with hippeastrum can prikopat in partial shade in the garden.
- From the end of August you should gradually reduce the feeding and watering, and in October, completely stop them. In October, Hippeastrum should be moved to a cool dark place. The temperature should be between +8 and 100C. The leaves are pruned as soon as they turn yellow and wither.
- From late November to early January, the hippeastrum should be transplanted into fresh ground. Before planting, the bulb must be inspected, if necessary, remove unviable, dry and rotten roots. After 7-9 weeks gippeastrum again will please with unusual colors. During growth, the flower must be fed 2 times with a special fertilizer for indoor plants.
Often one bulb of hippeastrum is able to give not one, but 2 or 3 peduncles. When buying a flower, remember that the larger the bulb, the more it will release flower stalks. Bulbs choose hard to the touch, without damage and signs of disease. If you do not plan to plant the bulbs immediately, store them in a cool dark place, the temperature should be within + 8-10 ° C. Observing all the rules of flower care, you can enjoy the flowering of hippeastrum for a long time.
Read about other features of hippeastrum in the article Hippeastrum: description, cultivation, planting and care, and how Hippeastrum differs from amaryllis you learn from the article Hippeastrum and Amaryllis.
Especially for womeninahomeoffice.com.ru- Yuliya