Watermelon loves to feast on many, and it is not surprising, because it is so juicy and sweet that it is difficult to break away from it. The largest berry appears on sale in the second half of the summer, but when buying it is impossible to be completely sure that the watermelon was grown in environmental conditions and when it was fed, harmful fertilizers were not used. The ideal solution to this problem would beindependentwatermelon growing , and this is quite achievable, despite the fact that for a long time everyone with a grin looked at growing watermelons in the middle lane. In recent years, resistant varieties of watermelons to colder weather have been developed, and conditions have been developed for growing watermelons in the middle lane.
Watermelon most of all likes to be in conditions of ideal illumination, warmth and humidity. And if you look really, then the middle zone of Russia is not quite suitable for growing watermelons, but still, if you try, you can collect ripe and large watermelons from your garden. Watermelon - one of those berries that are not greedy for the harvest, if they provide the necessary conditions. Usually cultivated watermelons in greenhouses, less often in open ground.
Growing watermelon seedlings
If summer is hot, you can not worry about your watermelons, they will taste very tasty without much effort, but if the sun does not make you happy in the summer, this is not a reason to despair, not ripe watermelons can be pickled. Salty watermelons, by the way, are a very unusual delicacy that can be put on a festive table.
- Which watermelon seeds are best for outdoor sowing? It would be more correct to stop on more hardy and early ripening varieties of watermelon, which are suitable for the middle runway. These criteria are met varieties - Sugar Sugar, Siberian Ogni, Spark, Olginsky.Few places can be left for a more large-fruited variety, for example, Astrakhan.
- If summer is hot, the watermelons will ripen pretty quickly and the fruits will be large.
- Before sowing the seeds should be pre-prepared. Already in early April, you can begin to engage in seeds, to do this, wrap the seeds in a cloth, put it on a saucer and cover it with a warm pale pink manganese solution. Wrap the saucer in a plastic bag and, leaving air in it, tie it up. Place the seeds in a saucer in a warm place with a temperature of 20-25 degrees. Once a day, the solution should be replaced with fresh and ventilated bag. Already at the beginning of the third day, the seeds are sown and can be planted in the ground, which should be watered abundantly in advance. Immerse the seeds in the ground for 1 cm.
- It is best to plant seedlings of watermelons in peat cups, so then they are most easily transplanted into the ground without damaging the root system.
- The ideal temperature for growing watermelon seedlings - 18-20 degrees, and the optimal location in the sunniest place. Do not allow the land to dry out in the seedlings, but it is even more dangerous to fill in the seedlings, as watermelons can suffer from root rot. Feed the watermelons should be only after the first leaflets are outlined. Well suited for feeding watermelons Agricola.
Now the question arises, when can you sow watermelon seedlings in open ground? It is important to focus on the weather conditions of your area and long-term weather forecast. If the spring is stably warm, then you can already begin seeding in early May. To avoid the unpleasant effects of cold weather, the seedlings should be covered with a film. Immediately before planting in the ground with a spray, spray the seedlings with a biostimulator, and a week before planting, harden the seedlings by placing them on a balcony or on an open window, increasing the time the seedlings stay in the cold every day.
How to grow watermelons in the open field in the middle lane?
- You can grow watermelon seedlings in the same way as growing cucumber with trellis. The only thing you should do is to make the trellis (reinforcement) for watermelons more durable, because watermelons weigh a lot more. Put the cups of seedlings in warm water, so they are better limp. Now start making wells at a distance of 70 cm from each other, mineral fertilizer should be added to each well - 1 tbsp. l., wood ash - 1 cup and humus - 1 l.
- In the mixture that is in the well, pour a lot of water and immerse a glass of seedlings in this gruel, while its edges should be a few centimeters above the well. This is an important point - do not plant the seedling root system too deep. Then sprinkle the seedlings with dry earth.
- When the watermelon seedlings grow and begin to crawl to the ground, you can start the garter. Only one stalk should be left, and those that are pinch off at the sides, while there should be no more than 4-5 leaves on the seedlings, but do not break them out completely. The crown of the main stem is pinned when 4-5 small fruits are fastened on it. At that moment, when the diameter of the watermelons will reach 10-15 cm, it should be lowered into the net and the fruit should be attached to the trellis with strong rope or twine. The important point is to pick up the grid so that the watermelon does not hang out in it and the grid tightly wraps around it. Otherwise, the fetus may simply break under its weight.
- Watermelon belongs to the light and heat-loving culture, so ideally it needs a 25-30-degree temperature during the day and 18-degree at night. Watermelon can also easily cope with drought, but it reacts negatively to the increased humidity of the diseases, which can cause fungal diseases. Suitable humidity for watermelons - 60-70%.
Not everyone succeeds in growing a ripe watermelon in the middle lane, as much depends on weather conditions and external factors that make it difficult to protect watermelons.But if summer is favorable for watermelons, then you will be able to feel yourself in the role of a real sorceress and collect a good watermelon harvest.