Even a person who does not have a summer cottage area can start planting some crops that are easily grown at home. Garlic is also included in this category. It can be grown both in open ground and on a windowsill in a house or apartment.
Garlic: care features
The head of garlic contains an incredible amount of valuable chemical elements. In addition, of interest are flat leaves, also edible and bearing a lot of good. Everyone is used to the fact that this vegetable has a sharp taste, but few know that the types of garlic 2 are sweet and spicy. The first one is completely devoid of pain, but it grows only in the southern regions. The 2nd is common in the northern areas. In addition, the cultivation conditions of the garlic can affect the taste.
The subspecies of this plant are also 2 — one of them gives an arrow, and does not possess this property. The first has an increased resistance to frost and because of this is called winter. Disembarking takes place in the fall, after which the culture experiences winter under the snow, and in the new season it gives a full-fledged large head. The second option is called spring. It is sent for landing in the spring, and it is able to be stored longer. But the crop of such a culture is not too high. Of course, each of the subspecies needs special care.
But regardless of which variety was chosen for planting, it is worth knowing the basic principles of working with culture. In particular, he does not like the high moisture content of the substrate, especially if it is caused by spring washing with melt water. Winter varieties soak it, and the spring will not land on time.
It is better to create beds according to the method of Mitlider, with wide aisles. The soil needs light, loamy, saturated with fertilizers. The place is preferably sunny. But the most important thing that is required to keep in memory, growing garlic, is the inadmissibility of its planting where there was onion. Soil renewal will take 4 years here. The same, by the way, concerns the beds from under the potatoes.
How to plant garlic?
- The most suitable beds for garlic are those previously occupied by beets, cucumbers, cabbage, or any legumes. Such a substrate is usually qualitatively fertilized with organic matter, and also eliminates the possibility of disease. If the soil is depleted, it will be necessary to additionally introduce either a complex fertilizer or a composition of superphosphate with potassium chloride in a 4: 1 ratio. Increase productivity, helps ordinary manure, added to the ground in the fall. Per 1 sq.m. It takes about 5 kg. But the exact numbers depend on the poverty of the soil.
- Whatever subtype is chosen - spring or winter - the selection of heads is the same. The main factors are its shape, weight and number of teeth. All diseases that have hints of dryness or laxity are rejected. Gardeners warn of plants that have undergone the stem nematode.
- You can plant garlic and seeds, which are taken from the arrowed species. But then the waiting period for the harvest is extended to 2 years, since at first only a small head with 1 tooth will appear. And only in the second year it will be possible to get a full-fledged culture.
- Seeding depth, width of rows and spacing vary depending on the subspecies that should be grown. Common to both is the need to carefully level the ground, and also to mulch the bed after disembarkation. For this purpose, in most cases, humus is taken, and slightly less often - peat. Their number per 1 square. m. equal to a bucket of 10 liters.
Growing winter garlic
Gardeners who prefer garlic gardening prefer more often: at least from an economic point of view, it is most beneficial. After all, its yield is higher, but for its useful properties with a spring subspecies it is identical. Such a culture should be prepared for landing as early as September, closer to its last decade. But often the deadlines are delayed even to the first of November.
The cloves are detached from the selected heads exactly at the time of landing, and not the week before. Summer residents recommend to take the most extreme segments: they produce the most high-quality crop. The soil is needed loamy, optimally introducing ash and humus into it, which previously had time to perepret. The bed is drawn in long narrow rows that are spaced 25 cm apart. The teeth are recessed by 8 cm.
Before the frosts hit, the root system should have time to develop, but without pecking sprouts on the surface. In Siberia and the Urals, the natural cover will be snow, under which the culture perezimuet. Where winters are snowless, a dry shelter is needed. After mulching, a special treatment is not required in the spring. Perhaps, only to break off the arrows, so that all forces do not go into them. If it was decided to neglect mulching, it is necessary not only to get rid of weeds in a timely manner, but also occasionally loosen the soil, and also water more often. The more moisture (moderately!), The larger the head will end up. True, its shelf life will be small.
Harvest of winter garlic is carried out after the yellowing of the leaves. As soon as they begin to dry out, you can remove the heads from the ground, dry them for 1-2 weeks and send for storage. The most acceptable type for this is a braid interlace. The easiest - laying in wooden boxes.
Spring garlic: planting and care technology
For the spring subspecies, the technology of planting and care is not too different from that used for winter garlic. However, it is worth special attention.
- The dates of planting spring garlic in the middle lane usually fall on the end of the 2nd decade of April or the beginning of the 3rd. The beds are created on the same Mitlayder, aisle, as well as for the winter subspecies, will be 25 cm.
- The differences are in depth. Spring does not require much burial, it will be enough 2-3 cm from the surface. Otherwise, the harvest will have to wait longer. And between the teeth it is worth determining a distance of 7 cm.
- Selection of spring garlic teeth is advised to be made according to their size, and planted, focusing on this moment. Those. The first row is filled with the smallest ones, the second row is filled with medium ones, the third row is filled with large segments. At the same time, they need to be deepened not by indentation, but by the initial excavation of a vertical trench into which the clove will be lowered. This technique prevents the possible compaction of the soil and does not put pressure on the root system, delaying its development.
- As soon as the first shoots begin to appear, the substrate is loosened, but only the upper 1-2 cm are affected. Then the soil should be mulched, having first fertilized it with either infusion of mullein or infusion of urea. Per 1 sq.m. This fertilizer needs 3 liters. Re-feeding in 1.5 weeks.
- The first 2 months must loosen the soil and diligently moisten it: drying out the soil will not only prevent the heads from developing, but will also adversely affect the taste properties of garlic. It will become dry and bitter.
- Harvesting of the spring subspecies is done at the end of August, the bulbs are dried, deprived of tops, and subsequently stored either in a warm or cold way. The second one provides for a temperature of 3 degrees, the first one allows it to be raised to 18 degrees.
Growing garlic at home
In the absence of the dacha, garlic can be grown on the windowsill. This will require not so much: a long deep tank, fertile land, a pair of strong heads that need to be disassembled. A spring subspecies is usually taken for this purpose, especially since it is stored longer. Yes, and the harvest will appear earlier.
See also:What pokrmlivat garlic?
If there are no extra boxes, you can plant a crop with other plants. Additionally, he will work their antiseptic. The teeth are laid shallowly, but they can adjoin each other quite tightly. Seedlings must be in the sun. After 3 weeks there will be long leaves that can be used as food. Full heads at home appear less frequently.
If you familiarize yourself with the key nuances of growing garlic, then working with any of its subspecies will not be difficult. The main thing is to pay attention to watering, proper deepening and marking of rows, and also have time to deprive the shooter winter varieties. Garlic can be grown even at home. But in this embodiment, more on greens than to get a full head.