It is a sin not to plant such a useful product as garlic on garden plots. It contains many nutrients. Garlic strengthens the immune system, helps prevent atherosclerosis, cleans blood vessels.
At present, in our conditions, two forms of garlic are common: gunmen and non-gunmen. The first is a winter variety, and the second can be both winter and spring. Winter garlic differs from spring planting time: winter is planted before winter and spring planting in spring. In the arrow of garlic, instead of seeds, small garlic-bulbous bulbs form on the arrow.
When and how to plant winter garlic?
Plant winter garlic should be 25-30 days before the onset of this resistant frost. Usually landing from the end of September to the middle of October. It all depends on the climatic conditions of the area where garlic is decided to grow. Earlier or later planting affects badly on winter garlic, harms the crop. If you planted winter garlic at the right time, then it will be able to endure frosts in winter even to -25 -С.
- Before planting, carefully select planting material. It is desirable that the chives are large. After all, they make good garlic. If you plant fine garlic, then you will not have to wait for a special harvest.
- It is also necessary to process the planting material with a solution of potassium permanganate. To do this, we maintain garlic cloves in a warm solution of potassium permanganate for at least twelve hours. You can also warm them for two hours at a temperature not exceeding 40 ° C.
- Soils are not rich in organic fertilizers. The site should be protected from cold northerly winds. It is better if garlic "relatives" did not grow onion in the selected place for a long time.
- Fertilize should potash and phosphate fertilizers.
- The depth of planting garlic should be approximately as three lengths of a clove (7-8 cm). When shallow planting garlic pushed to the surface and freeze. The distance between the teeth should be about 6-10 cm.
When and how to plant spring garlic?
The superiority of spring (spring) garlic is that it is better stored. The downside is that spring garlic is inferior to winter in yield.
- Plant spring garlic should be planted immediately after the end of cold weather (around mid-April).
- Before planting, garlic can be held for several weeks in the cold or, like winter, treated with a solution of potassium permanganate.
- Soil choose as in the case of winter garlic. It will be good if you pour it with a solution of salt (three tablespoons per bucket of water).
- The planting depth of spring garlic is one to two centimeters. The distance between the teeth is about ten centimeters.
Garlic is a cold-resistant culture. However, it is sun-loving. It grows poorly in a shaded place. Sunlight is especially necessary for garlic during the formation of heads.
- Garlic has not been grown in one place for more than two years. Garlic is planted after cabbage, tomatoes or cucumbers. It is also good to plant garlic between the strawberry rows: it will protect the berries from pests and diseases.
- Garlic is picky about the amount of moisture. When there is a shortage of water, it forms small heads. Therefore, in a drought, it should be watered abundantly. However, heavy rains harm storage of the crop, can lead to the death of the crop.
- It is important to know that about 25 days before harvesting garlic, watering is stopped.
- Garlic is also demanding on soils. Best of all for its cultivation suitable black earth or loam.
- Harvest garlic after lodging leaves. Dry the heads under a canopy. Store in a cool dry room.
Have a good harvest!