Here is the long-awaited child! Of course, a tiny baby needs attention and care. There are many questions: how to feed a child, how to bathe a newborn, what diapers to use to care for his delicate skin? Currently, the choice of disposable diapers is large and varied.
However, you need to choose only high-quality products from environmentally friendly components. As you know, you have to pay for quality, and not every young family can afford expensive disposable diapers. An alternative to pampers is gauze diapers for newborns. How to make and apply them, we will tell today.
How to sew gauze diapers for newborns: general aspects
You can independently make a diaper of gauze - it takes a little time and money. There are several methods of folding the diaper, which do not require the skills of a seamstress. The main advantage of such diapers is quick drying after washing. They are well pressed against the body of the baby outerwear. After wetting, such a diaper is washed, dried and ironed.
For the manufacture of the diaper is better to use a soft gauze fabric. It absorbs moisture well and does not harm the skin of the child. If you take a rare gauze, then it will sit down, which will make the diaper short-lived.
Usually diapers are made from square gauze blanks. The side of the square depends on the width of the gauze, for example, it may be 75 cm or 90 cm. Consider three ways of folding the diapers.
The first way:
- A square of 2-3 layers of gauze fold in half (Figure A).
- The resulting rectangle is folded in half (Figure B), forming a square with a fold line to the right (Figure C).
- Expand the lower left corner of the upper square, forming a triangle (Figure D).
- We turn the blank up from us, we fold the left upper square 2 times in half, forming a dense strip in the middle (Figures E, F).
- We have a child's booty on a compacted strip, wrap the bottom between the legs, and bend the triangular edges on the stomach.
The second way:
- We take a rectangular piece of gauze fabric measuring 90x180 cm.
- Fold in half, making it square with a side of 90 cm.
- Having bent a square diagonally, we get a triangle.
- We plant the child in the center of the triangle; we wrap the lower corner between the legs, the upper corner - on the stomach, and there we fold the side corners.
The third way:
- We take gauze with a size of 60 × 100 cm, we fold along the long side to obtain a rectangle of 60 × 20 cm.
- Next, place the resulting rectangle under the baby, one end wrapped on the stomach, the other - on the back. Simple, easy and fast.
Advantages of gauze diapers:
- little weight;
- repeated use after washing;
- easy to wash;
- low price;
- not allergens;
- dry quickly.
Disadvantages of gauze diapers:
- need to be replaced immediately after use;
- get wet;
- uncomfortable with long walks.
Gauze diapers are washed by hand or in a typewriter. To do this, use baby soap or powder. For disinfection, diapers can be boiled or ironed at high temperatures.
Reusable diapers do-it-yourself: master class
The first months of your baby's life flew by, it was time to put aside gauze diapers and start teaching the child to the potty. Intermediate in this period can be reusable diapers, sewn independently. Such diapers will protect your furniture and carpets from getting wet, and the child will learn to feel the urge to use the toilet.
- any moisture resistant fabric - 50x50 cm;
- mesh, cotton fabric or canvas on the inside of the product - 50 × 50 cm;
- pattern of the right size;
- adhesive tape (length - 24 cm, width - 4 cm);
- gum for linen 0.7 cm, length 50 cm;
- Moistureproof fabric bend in half. We fix with the help of pins the pattern, transfer it to the fabric. Cut and transfer symmetrically to the second half.
- We do the same manipulations with the mesh fabric.
- On the outer front side of the waterproof fabric sew 20 cm Velcro.
- From the inside on the second part of the moisture-proof fabric make the scenes. In it we fill up an elastic band, which ends we sew.
- Overcast the back of the parts of the mesh.
- We fold both parts with the front sides in the middle and sew, without stitching the top of the back.
- Sewing gum in the field of the alleged priests and legs.
- Turning the product and sheathe the front side.
- We sew two Velcro in size 2x4 cm on the inner side of the back half (according to the pattern).
- Insert absorbent liners, which are strips of 6-8 cm wide, sewn from a moisture-absorbing material.
- Reusable diaper ready.
What do experienced moms advise?
Let's read the reviews of moms about gauze diapers for newborns:
- Marina, Perm: “When taking care of my little boy, I used multi-layer gauze and reusable velcro and strap diapers. Gauze was easy to wash and dry quickly, and it didn’t cause me any trouble or expense. Most importantly, my child’s skin did not know any diaper rash.
- Svetlana, Vladivostok: “I used gauze diapers for up to 2 months of a child, later I replaced them with disposable diapers. Another friend of the doctor told me that the baby should know wet pants, because this is an important psychological moment that will help to accustom the child to the pot”.
Currently, there are many hygiene products that provide baby comfort, and each mother will select what she considers most appropriate. Good luck to you!