Fittonia is not an easy plant for growing indoors. She constantly requires high humidity and warmth. It is best to grow fittonia in a terrarium or bottle garden. However, the works of gardeners derived such varieties of fittonia, which are quite suitable for home conditions.
The appearance of fittonii
Fittonia belongs to the group of decorative leaf plants. Appreciate it for attractive, large green leaves with multi-colored streaks. There are species with red, white, pink veins, etc.
The leaves in length usually reach 5-6 cm.
Types of fittonii
- Fittonia Fershaffelt - large-leaved species has pink streaks. There are varieties of this species with bright red and white veins. But they are difficult to grow at home, unlike the original type of fittonia.
- A dwarf species, even suitable for beginners, - Fittonia silver and silver. The leaves are large, with white (silver) veins. Very unassuming look.
Location in the house fittonii
Choose a room for a plant where it is always warm, as well as high humidity. The best fitto fit the kitchen.
Feel free to put it in the living room, bedroom and nursery. It is necessary to monitor only the temperature regime and periodically put the plant in wet peat or arrange spraying several times a day. Fittonia is demanding to care, it needs good watering, so do not leave it without attention for a long time - it will die.
It is better not to plant a plant on the windowsill, choose a shaded place. You can create and artificial penumbra.
Care for fittonia at home
- Lighting - partial shade, avoid direct sun.
- Temperature moderate, in winter not lower than 17 ° С.
- Air humidity high. Requires frequent spraying of the leaves. It is useful to put a plant pot in wet peat.
- Watering abundant throughout the growing season, in winter - moderate. Water only with warm water!
- Breeds Fittoniyaorekoreneniya creeping stems that divide in the spring when transplanting.
- Transplanted plant annually in spring.
Well, if you decide to start a fittonia at home, then choose simple species for cultivation, such as silver and silver phytonus and Fitthonia Fershaffelt (the original form, not its species). And, of course, do not forget about creating and maintaining favorable conditions for your green pet!