Among the many indoor plants, the ficus, which reached Russia from tropical forests and has several species, is in special demand. It is quite unpretentious, can easily fit into any interior and does not require particularly careful self-care. And, nevertheless, sometimes a number of questions arise for the owners of this evergreen “resident” apartment. Most often they come down to why leaves fall with ficus with a frequency exceeding the established rate.
Why do ficus fall leaves?
Nature disposed of in such a way that after 3 years after the landing, leaves were replaced at the ficus. Therefore, the owners usually do not pay attention to this reincarnation. Also, during climate change and drought, some of the ficus species lose their leaves so that there is no strong need for moisture. During this period, they need to create special conditions, implying low temperatures and sparse watering.
It happens that the plant is still quite young, the conditions fully correspond to the required, and the leaf fall still begins. Moreover, quite impressive. Such an event requires a search for the causes. Because it is better to be safe than forget about the problem.
The most obvious prerequisite for updating the foliage may be pests. Everything is simple here: if, after a thorough examination of the plant, deformations and pigmentation are found, then a disease, fungus, or microorganism struck it. Some pests can be seen even without special tools.
To their appearance usually leads to several factors that also contribute to the discharge of the leaves of the ficus.
- Wrong climate for the plant. Either too high ambient temperatures, or insufficient air humidity. This is often said folding leaves.
- High humidity and low temperature also have a bad effect on the plant. He does not appreciate the sudden change of climate. Moreover, overcooling can lead not only to a general decrease in air temperature, but also to a local one. The latter occurs due to improper watering, contact with cold surfaces (window glass in winter). Not to mention the draft, which is harmful not only to humans, but also to the plant. It even appears from the fan and the air conditioner in the direct direction of the cold air flow.
- Soil condition Excessive moisture or dryness affect leaf fall. The overflow is usually accompanied by the characteristic aroma of rotting.
- Violation of the acid-base balance of the soil in which the plant is planted. The optimum pH value is 6.8. Anything that deviates from this figure by more than 0.2, leads to an increase in toxicity. It leads to a deficiency of a number of nutrients and can even "kill" the plant.
- Excess chemical preparations that are used to treat the plant in order to control pests or to prevent their appearance. Here it is worth remembering that all pesticides, insecticides and similar means should be used only with urgent need and with strict observance of the dosage prescribed in the instructions.
- In addition, the fact that the ficus begins to reset its foliage in response to any changes in the environment cannot be disregarded. For example, on the elementary change of location. Problems are possible not only when moving to another apartment, but also when moving the pot to the next room. Therefore, it is better to pre-select a permanent place for the pot.
- Do not be afraid, if immediately after the purchase of the plant, it will "greet" the owners with a thinning of the crown. The same reaction is characteristic of ficusupri pruning and transplanting. In addition, it negatively relates to the poor lighting characteristic of winter.
- And the last factor in the fall of the leaves of the ficus, which should be mentioned is the possible damage to the burn character at the roots. They arise in most cases with the introduction of fertilizers in dry soil.
Crown thinning and trunk exposure can signal elementary aging of a plant. The fall of the lower part of the foliage of the ficus in the absence of other problems is quite normal.
Ficus sheds leaves. What to do?
In order not to face the acclimatization of the ficus and, as its result, the fall of the leaves, it is necessary to buy it where the environment is as close as possible to that in which it is to live. This will allow the plant to move the move with minimal stress. If all stores have similar conditions, they will have to recreate them at home. For example, purchase additional lamps and a humidifier. Also, it is not recommended to purchase the plant during the cold season. Ficus street and room temperature drops will not appreciate.
The lack of light, from which all ficuses suffer, is compensated by a change in its location, as well as the use of artificial lighting. The plant should receive its share of light exactly 12 hours.
Drafts, as the cause of leaf elimination, are also eliminated by transferring ficus to another place. It should not be located near doors and vents, as well as in the path of the air flow of the air conditioner or fan.
With a dry air copes humidifier. If such a unit at the moment you can not afford, you can daily spray the plant from the spray. It is necessary to carry out the procedure up to 3 times per day.
Causes of crown thinning, associated with violations of the chemical composition of the soil and the disease of the plant itself, are eliminated by transplanting and treating with appropriate chemical preparations. These are mainly Fitoverma insecticides. It is worth knowing that the ficus does not appreciate frequent change of soil. Therefore, the replacement of depleted soil is made by pouring a new into the tub.
See also:Unpretentious indoor plants
How to treat ficus benjamina?
Since most often questions about the loss of foliage arise from the owners of the ficus Benjamin, it is necessary to thoroughly consider the conditions that need to be created for him to minimize the likelihood of such problems.
- Pay special attention to air temperature. It depends on what phase the plant is in. If it has a growth period, then the temperature corridor is 18-24 ° C, and at rest the ficus should grow at 13-15 ° C.
- Be sure to adjust the watering schedule. Water should not be too hot or icy. The optimum temperature does not exceed 37 ° C. In addition, watering increases in the warm season. In the summer you also need to spray the plant. Especially if it is constantly in the light.
- As for lighting, direct sunlight is categorically contraindicated. Shading can cause leaf fall. Therefore, a sufficient amount of diffused light is considered optimal. In winter - being in the window zone.
- The land for the ficus is also selected in a special way. It should consist of sand, sod, leaves and garden soil. Natural fertilizers are used only during growth. The frequency of their introduction is usually 1 p. in a decade.
Despite the fact that the ficus is an unpretentious plant, some of its specimens require special treatment. It is in compliance with the rules of care. In particular, the ficus of Benjamin is particularly demanding. Therefore, if there was a question about the purchase of this type, you should immediately prepare for the many nuances. In return, he will delight you with an attractive appearance and good growth.