Appliqué on fabric is a technique for creating various ornaments and patterns by sewing fragments of fabric on clothes, bags, etc. There are 2 ways of attaching appliqué details: sewing and gluing. If you make paintings and panels, the picture is pasted on the base, and if they want to decorate clothes, they are sewn by hand or with the help of a sewing machine. One or several colors can be used in the application, as well as different techniques can be combined.
What materials and tools are needed for work?
For applications of varying complexity, the same set of materials is required. Prepare natural as well as synthetic fabrics of different structure. Beautifully combined textured options: fleecy, shiny, smooth. You can use natural and artificial fur, leather and silk. Good looking applications of velvet, velvet, burlap and cloth. The most convenient material is felt, it is best to make paintings, panels, decorate bags and backpacks.
The background or base material should be selected depending on which fabrics you plan to use for decoration. The base should be more dense and harmonize well with the colors. It is recommended to make the basis for the paintings starchy so that the fabric keeps the shape, it is convenient to work with it. Also the starched matter will crumble less. Thick and synthetic fabrics do not need starching. This method of processing is more suitable for natural thin materials such as chintz, satin, burlap, flax.
Very thin fabrics, such as silk and lace, are recommended to be compacted with potato paste or gelatin. The material is immersed in a solution of paste, and then ironed with a hot iron on the wrong side. Gelatin-treated fabrics cannot be ironed, they are recommended to be dried.
- Large and small scissors may also require scissors with curved ends.
- A set of needles of different length and thickness.
- Embroidery hoops.
- English sewing pins.
- Copy paper and tracing paper to transfer the image to the base fabric.
How to make a cloth appliqué: step by step instructions
- The principle of the application is the same, regardless of whether you make it on clothes or decorate some products. Before you begin, you need to select a story. You can come up with a drawing yourself or use ready-made diagrams. The plot should match the style of clothing, and the materials fit well with each other. It is not recommended to make appliques on clothes from very thin fabrics. After you decide on a plot, proceed to the selection of fabrics and other materials. This is a very crucial step, because the wrong combination of color or structure can spoil all the work.
- It is also important to choose the right glue. It is not recommended to use silicone, it can deform fabrics, especially if they are thin and delicate. It is impossible to glue decorative elements on clothes, they will not withstand washing and ironing. It is best to sew applications on a sewing machine, but you can also manually. Children's appliqué fabric will decorate the child's clothes and accessories, with this decor you can make even the simplest thing elegant and beautiful. Also, old clothes can not be thrown away, but used to decorate various items.
- Applications from fabric are subdivided into 2 main types: flat and volume. In order to get the bulk work under the fabric enclose a small amount of cotton wool or foam rubber. Volumetric decoration looks beautiful and original, but it makes washing and cleaning clothes more difficult. Also over time, three-dimensional images may lose their original shape, and they will need to be adjusted.
- To make an application, draw or print sketches of future work. You must first adjust the size of the finished scheme to the size of the product that you want to decorate. As a model for sketches, you can use drawings in newspapers and magazines, postcards and other materials. Most often, the picture has to be increased or decreased, the most convenient way to do this is in special programs on the computer.
- Decor elements should not contain unnecessary and very small details, otherwise the pattern will turn out somewhat blurry, and it will be difficult to sew on it. It is necessary to immediately make a sketch in 2 copies. One of them will serve for the manufacture of patterns, and the other is used to control the correctness of the arrangement of elements on the fabric. Drawing for control can also be transferred to the base with carbon paper.
- Attach the pattern to the pieces of fabric, pin it with pins and circle with chalk. The direction of the threads on the elements of the pattern and on the main fabric should be the same. This is especially important for large parts. Some patterns require an increase in those places where the details go for each other. For example, if you need to connect a skirt and a jacket, you will need to increase the fabric by 3-5 mm to the bottom edge of the jacket. If the application has several identical parts, the cutting work can be accelerated and shortened. Fold the fabric in several layers and cut all the elements at once.
- Finished parts tack to the basis of the classic basting seam. If the fabric is crumbling, do small stitches. The seam is best placed on the edge of the details, retreating 2-3 mm. It is recommended to make oblique stitches, then the threads that are out of the fabric will be easier to grab.
- Sew the decor elements on the sewing machine with a special thick seam or manually with satin stitches, chain or stitch seams. You can process the edges of the entire application with a decorative cord that will decorate your work and emphasize it.
- If a thin fabric such as walking or chiffon is taken as the base, it is recommended to sew an additional layer of material from the inside. It is best to take the exact same fabric from which the product itself is sewn. The sketch should be transferred to the wrong side of the base and tucked into the hoop, securing with pins for sewing. Place the pins on the side where the sewing will be performed.
- Trim the rest of the fabric with sharp scissors and stitch out the appliqué with double stitching or a special “roller” stitch. You can use the seam for embroidery satin. Embroidery, fishnet nets and patterns can be made inside large elements. It also looks beautiful decoration with beads, beads and sequins.
- If you have planned to make a picture with appliqué, it is most convenient to use glue to fix the elements of the picture. The following types of glue are considered the best for such work: PVA, BF-2, and paste paste from potato starch. Rubber and silicone glue is not recommended because they keep the fabric loose and over time some elements may come off. Also these types of glue can deform applications from thin materials. A convenient and interesting method of fastening elements on the base with an iron. To do this, cut out an appliqué from a film or a regular plastic bag and place it on a base. Already all the elements for decoration are put on the film in the right order and smoothed with an iron. It is not necessary to heat the iron much, it all depends on the type of fabric from which the parts are made.
Schemes and sketches for work
Workshop on the implementation of the panel
- Sewing threads of different colors depending on the shades of the decorative elements
- Embroidery Hoops
- Pieces of different fabrics
- The main fabric is white or pastel
- Needle and scissors
- Glue for textiles
- Cut out all the details of the product.
- Start the application from home. Sew the largest rectangle with the seam "Forward Needle".
- Sew the roof loop type seam, threads of the same shade as the part itself.
- Attach the windows and highlight the glass with black silt with any other contrasting threads.
- Garden can be done in different ways. The example uses round elements that look beautiful and original.
- Wash the finished product in cool, soapy water and dry it on a horizontal surface.
- It is necessary to iron the product with steam, without warming up strongly the iron.
- The hoop will act as a frame. Put the panels on them and pull the fabric. On the back side, apply glue to the hoops and glue the fabric. Wait until the work dries.
- Cut the excess pieces of fabric.
Appliques of fabric is easy to do. Now fashion and clothing, decorated in such a way. To make the product look beautiful and neat, use a machine thick stitch to attach decorative elements. The finished drawing can be additionally decorated with beads, sequins, glass beads.