Polymer clay opens up inexhaustible possibilities for creating accessories and souvenirs. In particular, dolls made of polymer clay with their own hands - this is a real work akin to painting or architecture. At the same time making a beauty out of this material or another toy is not as difficult as it may seem at first glance.
Features of the manufacture of polymer clay pupae
Polymer clay can make a lot of toys. This material looks great in small sculptures, baby dolls or plump babies. On the eve of the new year, you can make a whole set of Christmas tree toys. But the top creativity is the ability to make a doll from polymer clay with their own hands. Before you begin, decide which design suits you best:
- motionless (that is, there will be no joints on the body);
- hinge (at the end of the forearm, elbows, knees, special spherical thickenings are made that will scroll when entering the adjacent joints);
- combined (only visible parts of the doll are made of clay, and all closed parts of the body are made of cloth).
The next stage is the determination of the parameters of the pupa: sex, height, appearance and clothing.
Experts recommend starting with combined girls of small stature. In this case, do not forget that the clothes should be made of thick fabric, so that the fabric body is not visible.
Required materials and accessories
There are several ways to make polymer clay with your own hands. The master class of the doll, however, requires you to knead a strong mass that does not beat and does not crack. To do this, stearic acid is added to the dough in the same proportion as starch. In addition to clay in the process of creating a pupa, you will need:
- plastic or metal sticks (stacks) for working with clay;
- wire (it is better to take an average thickness, so as not to increase the weight of the finished product);
- glue (good for this purpose is suitable "moment");
- sandpaper of various abrasivity;
- paper, simple pencil;
- cotton wool or synthetic winterizer;
- cotton fabric (linen, knitwear);
- thread, needle, scissors, pliers;
- acrylic paint (for drawing faces);
- silk thread or hair from a wig.
Stages of making dolls
The process of making a doll can be divided into 3 stages:
- Sculpting visible body parts.
- Cutting and sewing the torso.
- Face creation.
At the same time, it is better to leave work with the face for last, as it is better to attach hair and draw makeup when the head is attached to the body. Therefore, we tear off a piece of dough for the head in advance, roll it into a ball, make a hole in the back of the head for future hair and put it off.
How to make visible elements of the combined doll?
Before clay is prepared, it is necessary to warm up before modeling to room temperature in natural conditions - this way it will be easier to work with, and the finished product will not hide any unpleasant surprises (creases, cracks).
- Using a pair of pliers, we bite off 2 pieces of wire 2.5 times the length of the arm of the intended doll.
- Bend the wire in half and twist a little, leaving a small loop at one end so that the workpiece can be conveniently dried.
- We apply clay on the billet, at the same time forming puppet brushes. Stack do 8 fingers and nails on them.
- The first, big finger must be done separately and attached to the brush.
- In the same way, we perform doll legs (only with a stack we make slots for all fingers at once).
- We dry our arms and legs, then remove the excess wire with pliers.
- Sandpaper polish ready-made parts of the body.
Cutting and sewing the torso
In the process of drying the workpieces of the extremities, you can begin to sew the trunk.
- Cut out the details on paper, transfer them to the fabric.
- We sew soft elements and fill it with padding polyester or cotton (sawdust can also be used).
- Inside the body insert the legs and arms, well taped the junction.
- Give the glue to harden well.
Getting to the most crucial stage - the creation of a person, most importantly, be patient and do not expect that the first time you get a perfect appearance.
- If there is a blank of glass eyes, then we insert them into our prepared ball just above the middle. If not, we roll small balls and attach them in place of the eyes with the help of a stack, forming a smooth bulge.
- We roll up small sausages of clay and attach them just above the eyes - this is the eyelids.
- In the same way, we make a spout, using a stick to grind out its shape.
- In place of the mouth we make a cut, the edges of which are bent outward - these are the sponges of our doll.
- With the help of a toothpick, we make holes in the nose, imitating the nostrils.
- We tear 2 cakes from dough and fasten them in place of the ears. The side that is closer to the face is smoothed and the back side is convex.
How to make doll hair?
Making igrushkiz polymer clay with your own hands requires mastering not only the technique of working with the material for modeling. Practical jewelry hair and thread attachment skills are needed to create a doll hairstyle.
- silk thread, mohair or a strand of artificial hair;
- Moment glue;
- thread, glue;
- crochet hook (the smallest).
- We knit a chain of air loops from threads so that the length covers the volume of the pupa's head.
- Next, we knit the second row, interlacing several threads or hairs.
- We continue to knit until we get the desired density of hair.
- In a circle we coat the wig with glue and put it on the doll's head.
- Having tied up the bundle of threads, we grease it with glue and insert it into the hole in the back of the head - this is the bulk of the hair of our craft.
In order for your doll to look as natural as possible, it is enough to have brush No. 10 and 2 colors for coloring - black and pink, if you used glass blanks for your eyes. Otherwise, we need more paint for the iris. And the pink should be well diluted with water to get a solid shade.
- We cover the face with several layers of skin color.
- Undiluted pink paint direct sponges.
- Slightly diluted pink let the cheeks, to get a natural blush.
- Black bring eyelids, draws eyelashes.
- Draw the desired tone iris.
- Concentrated black paint directing the pupil.
Polymer clay baby doll
DIY polymer dolls are an expensive and elegant interior decoration. But above all, it is an interesting and exciting hobby, which can master the skills at any age. The main thing is to have enough patience, perseverance and good taste.