Dolichos is also called curly lilac or hyacinth bean. Due to its unusual appearance, the plant becomes an indispensable "accessory" for ennobling fences, fences, gazebos, verandas and balconies. This plant belongs to the family of legumes, and in its genus has about 50 species. Dolikhos is similar to an unusual liana, which can reach up to 4 m in height. Such a winding lilac, you can easily grow in your summer cottage, knowing the basic tips and principles of care.
Curly lilac dolichos came to us from hot Africa, where, due to hothouse conditions, it is considered a perennial. In our country, no one was able to achieve long-term growth from the plant, so dolichos will delight you with its appearance for only a year. The stem of the plant will twist around its supports counterclockwise, creating something like a hedge. The leaves of the climbing lilac are rather large, heart-shaped, and their color varies from rich lilac to green.
Flowers dolichos small in size, form long inflorescences in the leaf sinuses. Such lush inflorescences look very organic, spectacular and interesting thanks to the many flowers on one brush. The fragrance of the flowers is incredible, and the colors are very different - from pink to purple. There are also species with a two-tone color. Interestingly, the duration of the life of one flower is only 3 days, but this does not spoil the appearance of dolichos for another 25 days.
Decorative properties have not only flowers and leaves of curly lilac, but also its fruits, which look like beans, which are painted in bright burgundy color. In addition to the saturated color, the fruits of dolichos have a pleasant glossy shine and an interesting curved shape. Inside these hyacinth beans you can find seeds that are eaten in India and Africa. The fact is that the fruits of the plant have a large amount of protein, rich in vitamins and minerals. To taste, dolichos beans look like ordinary beans.
Dolichos: features of care and cultivation from seeds
Growing curly lilac is easy enough if you follow the rules and features of care. - Before planting, dolichos seeds are recommended to be treated - to scratch with a nail file or a knife, thereby slightly violating the integrity of the waterproof seed coat to increase their germination.
- Treated seeds are poured with water at room temperature and left for several hours. Some gardeners soak dolichos seeds in warm potato juice, then put them on shallow moss, cover them with a napkin, press them, put them in a tight bag and put them in a warm place. After 3 days from the seeds will appear the roots, which can be easily rooted in the usual way in a suitable substrate.
- In the tank, where you will plant the seeds (for this purpose, suitable and peat pots), pour the nutrient substrate, add a little chalk.
- Put the pot with the future dolichos in the room, the temperature of which will be maintained at least 22 degrees.
- It is necessary to water the seeds 1-2 times a week. When the bushes grow up, they can be placed on a balcony or a veranda (this can be done not earlier than May-month).
When the ground finally warms up, you can plant dolichos bushes in open ground. Choose a place quite sunny with loose, slightly acidic and fertile soil. The distance of the plants from each other should be no less than 25 cm. A support is installed next to each dolichos bush, to which it will be tied up as it grows.
And when dolichos feels great in the open field, you can proceed directly to the stages of caring for him.
- During active growth, this vine requires additional feeding once every 2 weeks. Superphosphate, potash, nitrogen and complex supplements are suitable as fertilizers.
- The plant needs regular and abundant watering, which will be especially relevant in severe drought and heat.
- Dolikhos is fairly resistant to diseases and pests, which makes it even more attractive to gardeners. True, on the leaves of curly lilac with a lack of potassium, you can see yellow specks. Do not worry, because this problem is easily solved with the help of appropriate fertilizers. Sometimes dolichos can strike powdery mildew, fungus, aphid, knot nematodes and caterpillars. With all these pests you can easily cope by spraying plants of special chemicals sold in shops for gardeners.
Dolikhos: photos of plants
Hyacinth beans dolichos - very beautiful vine, which can easily decorate your garden plot. It is ideal for landscaping walls, gazebos, fences, partitions, verandas and other buildings. If you plant a curly lilac together with bright colors and vines of contrasting shades, you will get a luxurious garden where you will want to spend the maximum time!