Plague in dogs(distemper, Kare disease, plague carnivorous, Crimean disease) - dangerous viral disease, transmitted by airborne, contact or through the digestive tract. Accompanied by general intoxication, fever, skin lesions (eczema), lesions of the gastrointestinal tract, mucous membranes, nervous system, respiratory organs and pneumonia. The virus through the blood enters the lymph, then spreads throughout the body, affecting the entire body.
Plague in dogs is the second after rabies in terms of the severity of treatment and the percentage of deaths. Many animals are susceptible to this virus: foxes, minks, martens, ferrets, wolves. For a person, the plague is safe.
Distemper in dogs: a risk group
More oftenpuppies get sick from 3 to 12 months. But adult dogs can also catch the virus if they were not vaccinated in time, with a weakened immune system, inadequate feeding and kept in poor conditions.
A dog can get infected anywhere: for example, by walking on the grass, or a person can bring an infection to a house on the sole of a shoe. The virus is found in the blood, saliva, exhaled air, and feces of a sick animal. Even if the dog is completely cured, it can infect another animal for 2-3 months. More often the virus is activated in spring.
Discomfort in dogs: symptoms
The incubation period lasts from several days to 2-3 weeks., it depends on the breed of the dog, its maintenance, feeding, and, of course, the treatment itself. The disease can occur for several months and even become chronic. It usually begins with damage to the skin and mucous membranes., this may end, and may develop further. Symptoms may be mild and severe.
The body temperature usually rises, the dog refuses to eat, the animal is depressed, it hides in a quiet, dark place, does not come to the call, reflexes disappear, the skin in the nose cracks and crusts, sometimes vomiting occurs, diarrhea, body rash, conjunctivitis and rhinitis develop. In this case, the dog is losing weight.
At the first sign of illness, it is best to contact a veterinarian immediately.. Only he can make an accurate diagnosis on the basis of laboratory research and pathological-anatomical changes and prescribe the correct treatment.
Disease in dogs: treatment
- The treatment is comprehensive. There is no special medicine against distemper in dogs., The treatment consists in the prevention of bacterial activity and in maintaining the general body tone. But the main - Do not treat the animal folk remedies. Often the owners otpaivayut dog vodka or alcohol, but it will only destroy your pet. But vegetable juices and herbal teas will help remove all toxins from the body and strengthen the immune system. Sick dog can drink infusion of chamomile, valerian, St. John's wort, calendula, lime and carrot juice.
- For the speedy recovery of your pet. need to create favorable conditions, highlight a warm, dry room, preferably darkened. Disinfection of the room is carried out with a solution of creosol, chloramine, lye or formaldehyde.
- Do not forget to care for your dog: remove discharge from the eyes and nose, chapped skin lubricate antiseptic ointment (so that bacteria do not enter the body through cracks), which the veterinarian will advise you. Eyes are usually washed with a weak solution of boric acid so that the eyelids do not stick together, and petroleum jelly will save from cracking the nostrils.
- Pay attention to the nutrition of the dog. Usually, veterinarians prescribe a diet (finely chopped meat, minced meat, cottage cheese, kefir, milk, broth, rice broth with bread crumbs, 1 raw egg - 2 times a week). Portions should be small, and the food is warm and mostly liquid, best soups and porridges.
- Withtreatment without antibiotics is indispensable, to stimulate immunity, cocarboxylase, vitamins of group C and B are used. In any form of plague in dogs, the following solutions are administered to a sick animal: 10% gluconate calcium 2 ml each, 1% dimedrol 1 ml each, 40% urotropine 2 ml each, isotonic sodium chloride 7 ml each , 40% glucose 4 ml each, 5% ascorbic acid 4 ml. The solution is injected intravenously1 once a day for 10 days.
- To reduce the arousal of dogs they are given powders: benzene, phenobarbidol, folic and glutamic acid for 3 weeks.
- But for each dog veterinarian prescribes individual treatment, so in any case, to save the life of the animal and alleviate its suffering, contact a vet clinic or call a doctor at home.
- The effects of distemper in dogsthere may be a loss of smell, vision, hearing, nerve muscular twitching and even a defeat in the psyche of the animal, perhaps insanity.
Distemper in dogs: prevention
The best prevention is the time of vaccination..
The first vaccination is carried out once in 3 months, the second - in half a year, then once a year with the same interval. 10 days before vaccination, give your dog a tablet for worms. Keep your pet out of contact with homeless animals.
After complete recovery, dogs develop lifelong immunity..
Health to your pets!