In summer and autumn, as in no other season, I want to delight my taste with peaches and apricots. Especially, if they grow on your site. But not uncommon is the defeat of the fruit or other diseases of fruit trees. Let's take a look at what kind of pests, diseases and apricot peaches can have and how to deal with them.
- Monilioz(gray rot of the fruit) - a disease of the fungal nature. Fruit, flowers and shoots are affected. The disease is provoked by rainy cool weather during apricot flowering. Fruits infect insects by doing damage to them.Prevention and control measures:harvesting diseased fruits and leaves, spraying apricot buds and flowers with a 1% solution of Bordeaux mixture.
- Verticillosis (verticillary wilt) is a disease of the fungal nature. Separate branches wither, the whole tree may perish. This usually happens in the middle of summer. The leaves on the affected parts of the apricot turn yellow and crumble.Prevention and control measures:destruction of diseased trees and disinfection, cultivation of the land on which infected apricots grew. Do not allow the overmoistening of the soil, do not be zealous with nitrogen fertilizing. When transplanting, avoid cutting the roots. Do not plant strawberries, potatoes, tomatoes, tobacco next to apricots.
- Peach leaf curl- specific disease. In the spring on young leaves appear yellow-green bloated spots, which, gradually expanding, lead to twisting and deformity of the leaves. The leaves become large, on them appear greenish-yellow spots, which lead their growth to the twisting of the leaves. In early August, the affected leaves fall. Peach shoots no longer grow, they become thicker, turn yellow. Prevention and control measures: collection and burning of leaves after leaf fall, processing in the spring before flowering with Bordeaux liquid, destruction of diseased leaves and shoots during the growing season.
Common diseases of peach and apricot
- Klesterosporiosis(perforated spotting) - a disease of the fungal nature. Leaves, generative buds and fruits are affected. On the leaves are formed round spots of raspberry-purple color. In some varieties, these spots fall out, in some, pits remain in their place. Affected fruits crack. The affected kidneys are shiny, often flooded with gum, they will not be able to blossom. Shoots and buds affected by this disease pose a risk of infection for healthy apricots and peaches, especially in rainy weather in the fall and spring.Prevention and control measures: treatment Bordeaux liquid spring buds and autumn of the whole tree.
- Cytosporosis - disease of fungal nature. Leaves begin to fade at the tips of the shoots, spots appear on the bark. The affected branches begin to dry. The whole tree may perish.Prevention and control measures: timely removal of affected leaves and branches. Do not leave them - burn! Treatment of plants with insecticides.
Peach and Apricot Pests
Common pests of peach and apricot are aphid shieldovkapeach and apricot moleand some others. Try them to use biological control measures, to resort to chemical in extreme cases.
You can prevent the spread of harmful insects by complying with all the conditions of peach or apricot care. Compliance with all the recommendations for their cultivation will help you prevent your fruit trees from developing the above diseases.
"Aware - it means armed" - as the saying goes. Now that you know the diseases of your favorite fruits and the measures to prevent and combat them, they will not be scary.
Read about the benefits of peach and apricot oils in articlesAbricot Oil: Application and Properties and Peach Oil: Useful Properties.