Ampiel plants are the most frequent guests on balconies and loggias, as well as inside apartments. Demand and ornamental and blooming options: for example, petunias. Their gramophone flowers, creating a dense cap on a bush, look simple, but attractive. What is the best grade to choose for home growing? And what is the difference between the ampelnoe and cascade petunias?
Ampel Amuta petunia: photos and growing features
The main difference between ampelous petunia and the classic erect one is its stems: they are flexible and long, in most cases hanging down from pots, so the pots with the plant are usually suspended from the ceiling. Some gardeners fix shoots of ampelous petunia on metal grids, allowing them to decorate the walls.
- The length of the shoots of ampelous petunia grown in the middle lane does not exceed 100 cm, in more comfortable conditions the plant is pulled out by 2-2.5 m.
- Most varieties of ampelous petunias are resistant to cold, which makes it possible to grow them not only in warm rooms, but also on glazed loggias, without transferring them to an apartment for the winter.
- The diameter of the flowers and their color in the ampelous and cascade petunias does not differ: this parameter also depends only on the particular variety. The same can be said about the timing of the onset of flowering and even the methods of reproduction: the main part of petunias is grown through sowing, the Japanese varieties can be propagated vegetatively.
Caring for ampel petunia involves constant monitoring of the humidity of the air and soil, as well as temperature. It is these factors that determine the abundance of flowering, but here it is worth noting that it is impossible to get a result that is identical to what is possible in the homeland of this flower.
- Watering should be carried out daily, in hot weather, the frequency increases up to 2 times a day. The procedure should be carried out so that the water goes through the lower holes in the pot: this means that the moisture has passed through all layers of soil, and not just touched the surface. Additionally, weekly pots put in a container with cold water. Watering becomes more rare before the onset of cold weather.
- Since ampelous petunia is grown in a confined space, it must be fed every 7-10 days with the usual complex fertilizer dissolved in water. In this case, it is unacceptable to feed with a dried substrate.
- The temperature of the air in the warm season should not fall below 22 degrees, in the cold - below 7 degrees. Also, throughout the life of the plant, he needs to provide good lighting.
- Ampute petunias are recommended to be seated single-handedly in pots; however, if a group planting is planned, a distance of 15-30 cm should be maintained between bushes, depending on the size of the plants. Giant varieties usually have one by one, and the smaller ones are planted in 2-3 pieces. in pots.
An important point in the care of this plant is the removal of inflorescences and upper shoots. How to pinch ampelnoe petunia correctly?
- Primary pinching is done at the moment when the bush goes into active growth: here the growth point located above the 5th leaf is necessarily removed. Such actions will lead to the formation of lateral shoots, which later appear buds. This practice is repeated monthly, with the shoots taken down can be used for plant reproduction.
- The pinching procedure for a flowering bush is carried out weekly or more often - it depends on how quickly the inflorescences fade. It is necessary to remove them together with seed boxes: this will be the key to subsequent abundant flowering.
- Be sure to check the status of ampelous petunia in wet weather - the likelihood of its shoots decaying is high, which should also be eliminated, preventing the disease from spreading.
Cascade Petunia: the best varieties and gardeners reviews
Today, cascade petunias are spread no worse than other species of this plant: they are valued as a decorative element for walls and high floor flowerpots, or even as ground cover options. For seed planting recommend varieties labeled "F1", the rest is better to propagate by cutting, so as not to face unpleasant "surprises" at the time of flowering bush.
- Among the varieties popular is PurpleWave, with which the breeding of ampelous petunias began. It is noteworthy that its color (like PearlyWave) may differ even within the variety, and sometimes pink blotches are noticed on the white petals, or the violet hue varies in intensity. Representatives of this variety are many-flowered, bushes in height barely reach 15 cm.
- The ampelous petunias of the Tornado variety are also interesting: besides the fact that its shoots are pulled out by 1.5 m, which makes it possible to assign the variety to a group of giant, the bush itself grows by 2 m in width and is always densely covered with large flowers (4-5 cm in diameter) . All representatives of the variety are very strong, hardy, not afraid of rain and cold, although the approach of frost usually becomes a herald of the end of flowering.
But most often there are reviews about the creeping multi-flowered cascade petunia "Gioconda": even the fact that she is an annual, does not reduce the degree of its attractiveness, because this variety is capable of year-round flowering. But while there are some nuances in the care of her.
- Alice: “As it turned out, not all representatives of the Gioconda variety look the same in pots and in the garden. Purple and Violet like the most - they grow quickly, quickly give a lush, dense bush, while the shoots are not too flexible and keep their shape well. Not even it is clear why it was called a cascade - a completely traditional upright shrub. But red and orange - yes, with soft stems, while the inflorescences are uneven, until the middle the bush is almost bare. "
- Tatyana: “I buy and grow red Dzhokonda that year - I like it very much. While the bush is in maturity, it is not too interesting, and it may even seem that the acquisition didn’t justify itself completely. But it is worth it to wait a little to see the rest of the petunias fade , and how delightfully she continues to delight the eye of Gioconda. A pink bloom for a friend is the most ampelous one, because she almost immediately went to lower her stems. Red is more upright and its flowers are much larger. "
- Irina: “I still don’t understand why Dzhokonda was called a cascade - it’s some kind of middle-half: it’s not upright either, because the stems are still soft and break up from the bush, but at the same time it crawls too strangely for the full-bodied amusement plant Dzhokonda The shape of the bush is not at all attractive, and only the size of the flowers, as well as the duration of the flowering period, save the scarlet and salmon. "
At the same time, such names as “Calibrahoa” and “Surfinia” can be encountered: these are the same ampelous (cascade) petunias, however, Calibrahoa is characterized by very small flowers and low bushes, and Surfinia is semi-amber, the bush resembles a ball in shape.
As for the division of the whole group of petunias into separate subspecies, even on the photos of the cascade petunias and the ampelnum exposed by gardeners it can be seen that they are no different between themselves. Someone argues that the cascade is a more rigid, kind of intermediate stage between the ampel and erect version, but this statement is highly controversial.