Delphinium - one of the most popular plants in the suburban areas. This flower always looks great in any garden, on lawns, in mixed flower beds, as a background plant in floristic compositions.
Delphinium perennial: features
The delphinium or, as it is otherwise called, the wagger is a tall perennial plant up to 3 m in height. The leaves of the delphinium are slightly pubescent, palmate-divided, deeply dissected into pointed lobes. The flowers of the plant are simple, non-edible, usually blue or purple, gathered in inflorescences consisting of 5 sepals. The upper one is crowned with a spur - a hollow long process that serves to nectar. Such a structure of the flowers of the delphinium attracts bees.
The plant blooms at the end of the 1st month of summer and blooms throughout July. (there are late-flowering varieties that bloom in late July). The undiscovered buds of the delphinium resemble the dolphin’s body in their form, which is why the plant was called so.
The fruit of the flower is a leaflet. Most delphiniums have a cyst root system.
- Delphiniums, like roses, need good care. Growing these flowers is especially good on loose fertilized loamy soil. If you have on a plot of land with high acidity, it must necessarily lime. When caring for a plant, it is necessary to apply organic fertilizers to the soil annually during flowering - this contributes to an increase in the size of the inflorescences.
- Pick a place for growing delphinium in partial shade, in view of the burning of flowers in the sun. The plant needs moderate watering, since it is drought resistant. But the dampness is contraindicated to him: the process of damping begins from it, and the flowers fall ill.
- In the spring, leave large shoots of 5 shoots, and let them be removed for cutting. If you have a wild-growing species of delphinium, then it doesn’t need transplanting for about 8 years.
- Our seed companies usually take 3 years for the shelf life of perennial seeds. After reading the expiration date on the bag, you can imagine the year of the potential harvest and calculate how much they have already stored. Seeds are stored much better in well-sealed aluminum foil bags. The best quality seeds are collected in their own garden or from friends and stored in glass jars in the refrigerator or on the balcony.
- It is important to sow the seeds correctly.It is better to do this at the end of March - April, but it is also possible in May. Prepare drawers, fill them with nutritive soil with peat and sand, level and spill well. Scatter the seeds evenly or sow in rows. Planting density directly affects their germination, optimal - sowing 2 seeds per 1 sq. Km. cm. Then pour a ground about 3 mm thick through a fine sieve from above. With deeper sowing, germination is delayed for a long time or does not occur at all. Open seeds in the light also germinate very badly. Spill the soil again from the small screen sieve. Cover everything with a newspaper, burlap or a piece of nonwoven material and place it in a room with a temperature of about 12 degrees. Shoots should appear on the 8th day. If they did not appear 3 weeks after sowing, this means that the seeds turned out to be unsuitable or you made a mistake with the difficult sowing technology.
See also:How to grow a delphinium from seed?
Growing delphinium is difficult, but on the other hand, this plant will truly decorate your green area in the garden or at home. Flowerbed with delphinium look luxurious! For the cultivation of plants need patience and special knowledge. In this case, you will definitely be able to grow a magnificent flower!