Previously, the art of decoupage suggested carefully cutting out any images from paper, leather, fabric, and then gluing them on the surface. Today decoupage allows and even welcomes not only neat cutting, but also tearing out an image or cutting it out with jagged pieces. Thus, the echo of modernity appeared in this art. However, the very essence of decoupage has not changed.
Decoupage on the glass will help you diversify boring things: a glass vase, plates and even bottles. To give comfort and zest to your interior, you no longer have to buy expensive glass accessories.. You yourself can do exactly what you need.
Decoupage on the glass on the example of a bottle
- If you have a regular, but beautiful bottle, and you don’t want to throw it away, try to “elevate” it.
- You will need the bottle itself, acrylic paint of the desired color (for the background), a sponge, a paper napkin with a pattern, a brush, PVA glue, a moulin thread (in tone with the paint) and acrylic varnish.
- The bottle must first be degreased. To do this, it must be thoroughly washed with detergent and allowed to dry. After the bottle has become dry, take the paint and gently sponge it onto the surface of the bottle. Just lightly apply the sponge to the bottle to get a slightly puffy texture, and there are no stains left. The paint must be applied to the entire surface, except for the neck. Then give the bottle to dry.
- Now you need to prepare a picture. We take a napkin and cut out from it an area with a pattern. Only it is necessary to cut out so that there is a little space left around the picture itself. Now you need to give the picture a little carelessness. To do this, we tear off the paper along the contour of the drawing itself. The drawing turns out as if torn from a napkin.
- Most napkins consist of three layers. For work, we only need the first one, on which, the actual drawing. Therefore, we separate the pattern layer from the rest and apply it to the bottle. Then we take a soft brush, dunk it in glue and carefully smear the drawing. This should be done very carefully, as the napkins are very delicate and fragile material. Glue should be well absorbed into the napkin and firmly connect it with glass.
- Now we need to wait for the glue to dry out and add some unusual texture to our bottle. For this we need thread floss. They should be in tune with the paint that serves as the background, then it will seem that the patterns appear right out of the bottle. You need to take a few pieces of thread about twenty centimeters and moisten them in water, and then dip them in the PVA glue.
- After all these simple operations, we glue the threads to the bottle. The pattern is entirely your imagination (for example, you can make spirals). In the process, you can correct the pattern with a toothpick. After completing this part of the job, leave the bottle forty minutes apart. Decorate the neck using the same napkin (just tear off, wind around the neck and smear with glue).
- After the glue dries, paint the bottle again. This will help make the color even and hide traces of glue. The final chord in your work will be applying acrylic varnish. After application, leave the varnish to dry for eight hours. That's it, the bottle is ready.
Decoupage on glass: useful tips
- Drawings for decoupage on the glass decided to cut exactly along the contour. However, in fact it is deeply individual and depends on the idea of the author. The edges of the application may be smooth, may have a rim, and may be torn. The main thing is that the chosen option does not violate the composition as a whole, and the rest is your imagination.
- In the process of decoupage due to glue colors may fade. You can cope with this only if you paint in white acrylic paint the wrong side of the napkin. Then the colors will again become contrasting.
See also:DIY Vase Decoupage
With the help of decoupage you can decorate any glass surface. The technique is not clever, but very effective. All you need is the materials necessary for your work and your imagination.