Probably, every person in the house can find an unnecessary glass container from drinks drunk once. Many of us received as a gift beautiful bottles of unusual shapes, which then it was a pity to throw out. Mastering the art of decoupage will help you with the help of simple napkins and several other components to create a real work of art from a faceless waste bottle. Thus you can decorate the interior and give the bottles a second life.
Direct and reverse bottle decoupage (“file” sticking of a napkin)
For work, you will need a bottle in which at least two sides will be smooth without ribbing, napkins with different patterns of the same subject, half of the file, undiluted PVA glue, paper tape, eggshell, acrylic paint (white and other colors, depends on the napkin pattern) , brush and foam sponge.
- Before proceeding to work directly, the bottle must be prepared. To do this, your chosen container must be cleaned of labels and excise stamps. It is easy to do this if you first hold the bottle in water (preferably hot). It is good to wash off the glue with white spirit or another solvent. Then, the surface must be degreased. Alcohol-containing glass cleaner is well suited for this. When the surface is ready, you can proceed.
- Since we are going to do reverse decoupage, it makes sense to create windows on both sides so that the design can be seen through them. Take a napkin and try on a drawing. Pick one that will be clearly visible through the window. Then, we need to paste the selected pattern. Glue will be the so-called file method. To do this, we need a half of the file (that is, one of its parts). Decoupage we do the reverse, so the picture on the file have so that the front part was directed to us.
- Now pour the water so that the napkin soaks completely and even floated a little. It is necessary to straighten all the folds and irregularities. Try to do this carefully, because napkins are very fragile material. Then we remove the excess water, as if hanging the file on the edge of the table so that it hangs down.
- The surface of the bottle, on which we will glue the pattern, is coated with neat PVA glue. Now gently attach the file with a napkin and smooth out any irregularities. The napkin must be allowed to dry. In the meantime, we have to seal the window with paper tape in which the drawing should later be visible. It is necessary to make it in order not to stain the window with paint.
- Now that the napkin is dry, paint the entire surface of the bottle with white acrylic paint. At first it is necessary to make it with a brush, then with a foam sponge to give some relief. Give the white paint to dry. At this time we mix color paint. Its color depends on which picture you choose. Colors of paint and drawing should either be in the same color range, or be very different.
- Do what you like, what you have in mind - feel free to experiment. When you were able to create a suitable color, cover the bottle with it. Put the first layer with a brush, the second foam sponge, again, to give relief.
- In some parts of the bottle you can paint in a darker shade. On the side surfaces, you can stick other drawings similar to the main ones on the subject. With these pictures, everything is much simpler. You can glue them with glue and a brush. Above these drawings, you can impose egg craquelure. For this we need pieces of egg shells. They need to be glued with a large amount of PVA glue.
- Apply glue first, then press down the shells in random order. Then the shell needs to be painted with paint to match the main background of the bottle and add a bit of darker stains. Paint the lid of the bottle and rim with dark paint. That's all! You got a great piece of art instead of an unnecessary bottle.
Decoupage bottles as a gift
- This way you can decorate not only empty bottles, but also filled ones.. For example, if you want to present them as a gift. The procedure is the same. First, remove the labels, then degrease the surface.
- After preparing the bottle, we glue up its neck with paper tape to prevent the paint from getting there. Now on the entire surface of the bottle we apply white spray paint.
- Then, you need to prepare napkins. We will glue only the third layer on which the desired pattern is located. Drawings need to be neatly cut. You can glue them to the bottle with PVA glue. It is necessary to let the glued napkins dry. If the napkins are a little torn, tint them with acrylic paints.
- On the back of the bottle you can lay out the pattern with the help of thread. To do this, soak the threads in water, and then in the PVA glue. Threads need to take a length of about fifteen to twenty centimeters. Apply the pattern gently with a toothpick. Patterns should be allowed to dry.
- You can make decorative points with a putty and a medical syringe. When all this is dry, the bottle must be coated with acrylic varnish. This should be done in several layers, giving each layer to dry. After the last coat of varnish has dried, your gift bottle will be ready.
Ideas for decoupage can be a great many! You can use a variety of patterns from napkins, different colors of paint, create new textures and each time get an unusual peculiar result. Decoupage can bring a lot of new things to your usual things. And your loved ones will be pleased to receive as a gift something unusual.
For more on how to originally decorate the bottles with the help of scrap materials, read the article Decorating bottles with your own hands.