Croton is a unique plant that stands out among other leaves with its color. It is the unusual shape and color of the leaves that makes it a wonderful decorative ornament for the house. The height of the leaves of croton in nature reaches 3 m, but croton grown at home with proper care, can please the height of the leaves of 1 m. There are several types of croton that grow at home, but no matter what kind of croton you grow, care is the same for everyone.
Croton care at home
- Croton is a rather heat-loving plant, loving light and badly carrying drafts. In the place where you have a croton pot, the temperature should not be below 160C. If the temperature is lower, you will notice this immediately, because it will start dropping the leaves. Low temperatures can cause root rot. Therefore, make sure that the temperature in winter does not fall below and in summer does not rise above 220WITH.
- Although croton is a heat-loving plant, but at too high a temperature, it requires high humidity. Good lighting is also necessary for it, otherwise the leaves of the croton will lose their bright color and will become evenly green. At the same time it should be protected from direct sunlight. And in winter, on the southern window-sill, Croton, on the contrary, will be very comfortable.
- In spring and summer, Croton needs constant abundant watering. The land should not dry out more than 1 cm. If the soil is dry, the flower can get sick. But with watering it is impossible to overdo it so that the aboveground part or the roots of the plant will not rot.
- In the autumn and winter, watering is reduced. If moisture is not enough, Croton will lower the leaves. In this case, you do not need to fill the flower with water, but rather spray it with a spray bottle.
- Water for irrigation use room temperature and pre-settled. If croton is watered with cold water, it can shed its leaves.
- At least once a week, croton leaves are wiped with a damp cloth. To provide the flower with the necessary moisture, place a container with wet stones next to the Croton.
Transplanting, feeding, croton disease
Croton during the growing season needs complex fertilizers. They need to be made after watering once a week. In autumn and winter, Croton should be fertilized once a month.
Young Croton can be transplanted annually in spring. For transplanting take a pot 3 cm more than what is. Prepare fertile soil, poured into a plastic or clay pot with a layer of 3 cm. Replant croton gently, keeping the earth clod. In order not to damage the delicate roots, lay a pot of expanded clay, small clay shards or charcoal on the bottom of the pot. Expanded clay can be used alone. Get a loose special mix for flowers. Such a mixture should consist of peat, sand, leaf soil, humus, turf in equal parts.
For proper croton growth, drainage is necessary., from the volume of the pot it should be ¼ part. An adult flower should not be transplanted too often, every 3 years.Proper care for the Croton at home contributes to its active growth!
The diseases of the croton are mealybug, spider mite and scybite. To get rid of the disease, you need to wash the croton with a soapy sponge and spray it with a special solution. The reasons for the appearance of brown tips on the leaves becomes dry air and dry soil, and the brown rim on the edges of the sheet - too low temperature.
Croton breeding at home
Flower reproduction occurs by cuttings and seeds that are planted in February. After planting the seeds, the pot should be covered with polyethylene.
If you decide to propagate Croton cuttings, it is better to do it in spring. To do this, cut with a sharp knife the woody top stem 15 cm long. Immerse the cut in warm water, wash off the milky juice and dry it slightly. Tie little leaves, it will help reduce evaporation. Plant the stalk into damp ground, cover it with a film and put it in a warm place. The stalk will take root a month later, when roots appear, it can be planted.The best croton breeding method is using cuttings.
When a young Croton grows up, he needs constant feeding. Suitable complex or mineral fertilizers for ornamental plants. Fertilizers are applied after watering.
Croton loves heat, light and moisture, the same care conditions throughout the year, no temperature changes.Sunlight gives the leaves a beautiful color, its lack will be the cause of a simple green color. In winter, direct sunlight is beneficial, and in summer it is necessary to shrink the leaves so as not to provoke burns. Croton should be taught to the sun in the spring gradually, from time to time putting the pot on the window sill, which is well lit. Croton is best placed on the east or west side.
The optimal temperature, which is desirable to maintain throughout the year, will be 220C. For croton, dry air is destructive, therefore constant high humidity is obligatory. To do this, spray Croton every day and do not place it near the batteries. Failure to take care of croton can cause diseases and pests.
Croton is a rather capricious flower. If the care of the flower does not meet all the rules, then he will immediately respond to this by dropping the leaves or changing their beautiful color. Croton requires close attention and proper care at home, but it will be the perfect decoration for any home.