Unfortunately, we do not always have time to keep up with the fashion, and many of our favorite things are left out of our attention when buying the next pullover or dress. If you want to not part with your favorite clothes and give her a second life, making your old things fashionable with your own hands will help you update your wardrobe and save money.
Converted things haute couture: design ideas
Do you consider yourself an icon of style and constantly follow the latest fashion? Then this article is for you. Dear girls, carefully review your wardrobe. Surely you will find two or three things that you don’t want to part with, but because of wear you don’t wear them when they come out.
If you want to do clothing alteration, you need not only to learn ideas and tips from designers, but also to master the skills of cutting and sewing. Believe, you can give a second life to almost any thing. By the way, it concerns not only clothes. You can redo accessories, hats, etc.
Before we proceed to the very process of converting favorite things into fashionable and modern clothes, let's get acquainted with some aspects, or rather, with the advice of well-known designers and craftsmen hand-made:
- From old jeans you can make an original clutch, handbag, vest or cute shorts.
- If you need to eliminate scuffs or holes on clothes, then you can use embroidery, ornaments, fabric inserts or patches for decoration.
- You can make an original and unique blouse out of an old shirt. To do this, you need to make only a few cuts with scissors and stitch the side seams.
- You can decorate old clothes with buttons, sequins, beads, embroidery, rhinestones, zippers, pins, etc.
- You can make an original pattern on the back of a T-shirt or jacket from ordinary pins. To do this, use a stencil and attach pins of the same size along its contour.
- Old things can be painted with colorful paints. For drawing a graphic image it is best to use stencils or special templates.
- Old jeans, shorts or skirts can be decorated with lace inserts or laces.
- Alterations of old things with their own hands will look more original and newer if you follow all the suture elements exactly and pick up the threads of the same color.
- For variety, you can make a zigzag line.
- From the old men's shirt you can make an exquisite cocktail dress.
- If you want to make a designer thing, try to convert old jeans into exclusive pants with leather inserts. To do this, you will have to work a little to sew the edges and sew a new fabric.
- In the process of rework, do not forget to constantly try on the thing.
To make old clothes look really stylish, try not to use too much material for decoration. It is desirable that it be homogeneous. If you use lace, you can harmoniously combine them with small pearl beads. Remember that a woman is primarily remembered for her chic and sophisticated outfit. A little black dress can also attract a lot of attention.
Master customizing old stuff
This term in the modern world is called the decoration of clothes or objects that allow you to stand out in the mass and emphasize their individuality. Some skilled workers have mastered this method of reworking old clothes and receive income from it. If you want to remake the old coat in a new stylish thing, then this master class will help you. For alteration, you can use a sheepskin coat, coat, old coat or other outerwear. Let's start?
- old coat;
- measuring tape;
- a piece of chalk;
- ribbon finish for the decor;
- hidden buttons;
- We spread the coat on a horizontal surface, remove the buttons and cut the gate.
- Sew the remaining loops and collar cut manually using the secret seam technique.
- From the back we measure the desired length of the coat and draw a line with crayons.
- Exactly cut off the excess length of the old coat.
- From the bottom cut of the coat we measure the height of the simulated Basque. On average, this value should be 27.5 cm.
- Next, the lower section model in the form of a tuxedo. We mark the corresponding lines in a semicircular shape with the help of chalk.
- Excess tissue is cut off along the intended line. Do not forget to leave allowances for lowercase seams.
- Bottom detail, that is, the edge of the Basque, first we outline, and then sew machine stitch.
- Along the vertical sections of the coat where there were eyelets, we outline the chosen band, and then we stitch it on a typewriter.
- We put down the bottom edge of the coat, the basque and the upper part, stitch, then remove the basting seam.
- Iron steamed and smoothed all made seams.
- At the top we sew hidden buttons.
Second breath for an old dress
As has been said many times, the alteration of clothes from old to stylish with their own hands is a very complicated, laborious and laborious process. In order to make a really beautiful piece of clothing, you need to have some skills in cutting and sewing. If you yourself are afraid to take on this business, entrust the alteration to professionals.
From your imagination depends on what thing will turn out as a result of transformation. By the way, you can give a second life to shoes, for example, sandals. It is enough to attach some decorated element - and no one will know the old sandals. Every woman’s wardrobe is not complete without a dress. Let's try to give a second life to an old vintage dress.
- the dress;
- chalk or special marker;
- measuring tape;
- sewing machine;
- We take an old dress, remove buttons from it and lay it out on a horizontal surface.
- To begin, remove the extra length. We do the fitting and cut off the fabric. The edge is immediately overlaid or plotted.
- From the back, in our case it will be the front side, because after reworking the buttons will decorate the back, we make two cuts.
- This will be tucks, emphasizing the waist line.
- Next, shorten the sleeves.
- We carry out basting seams on all cuts, and then we stitch on a typewriter.
- Be sure to use threads of the same color so that the suture elements are invisible.
- On the attachment points of old buttons we sew new ones. You can choose any buttons in shape and color, the main thing is that they should be in harmony with the print of your dress.
- Check all seams, steamed and smoothed them with iron.
- Here is a dress you should get. If desired, a wide elastic band can be sewn to the waistline or a belt with an original bow can be modeled from the remnants of the fabric.
From old worn items, you can simulate a new item for your wardrobe. Do not forget before starting work stock up with all the necessary tools and take measurements. If you are planning to shorten the model, be sure to consider the seam allowances. Additional decorative elements can serve as graphic drawings.
By the way, for beginner masters, there are many simple workshops. For example, from the old long T-shirt you can simulate the original top. Any cuts need to chop and stitch on a typewriter. If you know how to make manual hidden seams, then the machine may not be useful to you at all. Pay special attention to clothing on the lining - it should not be collected or stand for the edges of the product. I wish you success!