Each housewife in the house has items made of silver, among them may be jewelry, interior items, cutlery. As a rule, some time after the purchase, the metal becomes covered with black bloom and darkens. There are some tricks to return a shining look to silver.
First you need to know - from what does silver turn black? There are several reasons for this:
- Moisture. When exposed to metal with moist air, moist skin, products from it begin to darken rapidly;
- Features of the physiology of the human body. Silverware darkens at different speeds when worn by different people;
- Exposure to chemicals, especially those that include sulfur. Upon contact of sulfur with silver, compounds are formed which are black in color.
How to clean silver at home?
There are a huge number of ways to clean silver at home from black patina. But products made from this metal (unlike gold) tend to oxidize when interacting with certain chemical elements. Due to the fact that the history of silver cleaning has been conducted for a long time, our generation can use proven methods. By the way, these improvised means are much more effective than store supplies.
Starting the procedure for purifying silver, one should remember the main principle: before applying any chemical substance, for example - soda, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, it is necessary to hold the product in soapy water. Suitable instead of soap shampoo or dishwashing detergent. The surface and the grooves of the products can be cleaned with an old soft toothbrush. Then rinse well with clean water.
- Now you can proceed directly to the cleaning of silver with chemicals. The first remedy is ammonia. In the pharmacy, you need to purchase 10 percent ammonia and soak the silver product in it for no more than 15 minutes. This is a very effective method, besides it does not take much time and effort. Then the product just needs to be rinsed with water and dried.
- The next agent is sulfuric acid. From it you need to make a 10 percent solution, by diluting it with water and boil silver in it, and then rinse the product with water.
- Lemon acid. We need to take a glass liter jar, pour 0.7 l into it. water, pour 100 g of citric acid there and put it all into a water bath. Then take a piece of copper wire and throw it there, pre-tip the tip and hook onto the edge of the can so that they can get the product. Boil silver in this solution should be 15-30 minutes, and then rinse with water.
- Coca Cola. Boiling the product in it for 3 minutes well removes a dark film from its surface.
- Salt. You need to take any container and pour 200 ml of water into it and add 1 tsp. salt, mix and put there the product for several hours. To speed up this method of cleaning, silver can be boiled in this solution for 15 minutes, and then rinsed with water.
- Lipstick. You need to take a toothbrush and lipstick and begin to polish the product with it, and then rinse with water.
- Dentifrice. Dip a wet bracelet, chain or cross into tooth powder and rub it with a thick, fluffy cloth.
- Tooth powder can be used in conjunction with ammonia - to mix the components to the consistency of liquid gruel and a piece of cotton applied to the product. After drying, the item should be wiped with a dry cloth.
- Folk remedy - water from under boiled eggs. Boil any number of chicken eggs should be allowed to cool until it becomes warm. Then there should be placed items made of silver. It's amazing, but this method really works!
Cleaning silver with soda
One of the most common ways to clean silver at home is to clean it with soda. To do this, you need only a soap solution, soda solution and a clean, dry cloth. Immediately before the process of cleaning the product, it should be held in a solution of soapy water so that the silver surface is ready for contact with soda (sodium bicarbonate), and then rinse thoroughly.
- It is necessary to prepare soda solution as follows: in 0.5 l of water should be dissolved 2 tbsp. l soda and put it all on fire. When the solution boils, there should be thrown a piece of food foil, and then the product itself. Keep the silver in this solution should be 10-15 seconds, then pull out and rinse well.
- If the product is too dark, you will need to use another method. Dissolve the soda with water to a state of gruel, apply to a soft cloth or fingers and wipe the product. In this case, you need to be extremely careful, because silver can be scratched!
- If several silver items are to be cleaned at once, then the following method can be applied: at the bottom of the pan or any other container, you should put a sheet of food foil, securing it by the edges. Pour there 0.5 liters of hot water, add 2 tbsp. l soda and 1 tbsp. l salt. Put the items on the bottom of the container for a few minutes, then pull out, rinse and wipe dry with a soft cloth.
How can you avoid the darkening of silver products?
After contact of silver with wet or wet skin, it should be wiped with a dry, preferably a flannel cloth.
When doing household chores, such as washing dishes, floors, laundry, etc., rings and bracelets are better to remove, so they remain clean, they will not cause visible damage.
When applying cosmetics (ointments, creams) - jewelry should also be removed, especially if the basis of these funds is sulfur.
It is better to store items made of silver in special boxes, in a dry place, if there is such an opportunity, then it is better to separate from each other.
If your house has products made of this metal that you rarely use, then it is better to wrap them in foil during storage, so they will not oxidize and darken.
If you do not want to spend your time and energy on home cleaning methods, purchase special impregnated napkins or liquids in the jewelry store. One of the advantages of such funds is that they cover the product with some kind of protective film that will help protect it from darkening.
Keep silver properly and try to properly care for products made of this noble metal, then they will long please you with their impeccable look! But if your favorite thing has darkened, use proven homemade recipes to clean it or buy special care products at a jewelry store.