Antique furniture and decorative elements, made in any historical style with high quality and neatness, are highly valued, despite the presence of scuffs and scratches. This and other signs define vintage objects, highlighting for them a special place in the interior.
Nowadays, the search on the flea markets for antique pieces of furniture, their further finishing in various styles has become a real fashion trend. In the 21st, decorators often play with contrasts when working with such furniture, for example: combining upholstery in bright colors with classic furniture silhouettes or comic stripes and black and white newspaper prints. And to create elegance and sophistication in the interior is such a gentle and interesting style as shebby chic. Furniture made in this style bears the imprint of time and history.
Shabby style chic
What is the characteristic style of chebbi chic? It is considered that furniture made in this style should have a certain age and a real story. If new items got into the interior, they must be artificially aged. The original style of furniture does not play a significant role. It should be elegant, high-quality and sophisticated. Here are the main differences between items made in the style of Chebbi chic:
- Light color, pastel colors, ideally - white;
- Light rubbing: rubbed paint in protruding places, through which dark paint appears;
- There may be cracks on the paint itself or in the lacquer coating;
- Finishing elements of flax and cotton delicate shades with floral ornaments. Light stripes are perfect for wallpaper and upholstery;
- Unobtrusive, simple images are transferred to household items, furniture, placed on textiles and frames;
- Pictures on furniture or paintings on the walls can contain idyllic scenes or floral motifs.
Shebbi-chic in the interior
This style reflects the spirit of old England and is at the same time a modern fashionable trend. In the interior it is characterized by bright pastel colors, which are associated with sweets - cream, white, vanilla, creamy, more saturated - pink, turquoise, light blue. He also includes light patterns - strip, cell, large and small roses or other delicate flowers. Do not do here and without trinkets - lace, pillows, napkins, figurines and other items - symbols of the Victorian era. Another difference is the chebbi-chic - many colors that can be placed in a variety of containers - decanters, decorative watering cans, baskets.
One of the options for creating an interior in this style is to visit antique shops or flea markets in search of things that radiate inner warmth and a certain history. But do not forget that such a design can create by yourself. Practically in every house you can find, if not antique, but, nevertheless, memorable things for their owner. Such items may be the old cabinet, chair, porcelain and dishes, hangers, shelves, table lamps, mirrors in frames. It is necessary to put a little effort and patience, and these household items fit perfectly into the interior, featuring incomparable charm of antiquity and luxury. The creation of such a decor is an excellent occasion to restore and renew things that have lost their original appearance and at the same time combine them in one color scheme.
Decoupage is a way of exquisite decoration of objects and surfaces with your own hands. The word is French and means “cut out” in translation. With the help of this technique, art objects were originally created, masters applied up to 100 layers of lacquer on top of the design in order to obtain the desired effect. They even achieved the effect of inlay on the furniture.
With the help of modern tools can achieve excellent results. The advantage of decoupage is that those who do not know how to draw professionally can use drawings on napkins or special cards. With their help, you can create compositions with dishes, vases, furniture, lampshades, etc.
Shabby chic in this technique is very common. The most commonly used techniques are aging, shadow or smoky decoupage, a little less often potal and gilding, but only if all these elements do not interfere with the general perception of the style. Artificial wear and other methods of aging things, though frequent, but not the main signs of style.
Shabby chic: master class
- What needs to be done to turn the interior into a luxurious decoration in the style of shebby chic? First of all, preparatory work should be carried out, that is, they should be cleaned of dirt and old coatings, if there is such a need, then repair them, and then start painting. Before this, the surface must be sanded, cleaned from dust and degreased. Then you should apply a layer of primer and base paint, and re-polish between layers.
- To make the objects rework the necessary surroundings, all the protruding parts, corners and surfaces must be deliberately aged out. This is done easily, you only need to take into account that the color of the abrasion can be both lighter than the main tone and also darker, so the colors of the paint should be 2, from which the main one should be distinguished.
- To begin with, the furniture must be covered in one or 2 layers of paint. After complete drying, you need to rub the protrusions and corners with a simple wax candle, thus creating an invisible shell. Candle remains and irregularities are cleaned with a soft cloth, the main thing is not to smear the wax. Then it is necessary to cover the entire surface of the object with the basic paint, dry it and with light movements of emery paper to erase the paint from the places where the wax was applied. The top layer of paint is erased and the lower shade appears. Strong pressure is not recommended, the paint should not slag pieces. The final step in redesigning the Chebbi Chic style furniture will be to polish the surface with the finest emery paper, and also to give the product durability and toughness, to finish with a finishing varnish.
- Rubbing of this kind can be created not only on wooden, but also on forged painted surfaces, for example - lamps and chandeliers. Nowadays it is very popular to make wrought iron beds from sewing machines into a unique table or sink base in the bathroom.
You should not throw out the old furniture or decor items, because they can be remade with their own hands in the original and current style of chebbi chic. It is only necessary to restore, for example, armchairs or chairs, applying delicate shades to the upholstery fabric, and selecting the appropriate accessories and the decor of the room will resemble the Victorian era!