Celery is an interesting plant. It has an original smell and taste, is rich in vitamins and trace elements. This plant is often used in cooking for the preparation of healthy dishes. But its cultivation is quite a problematic occupation, so it is rarely found in garden plots.
Growing Celery Root: Basic Rules
It is recommended to grow the root celery by seedlings, as it has the longest growing season. In this regard, its seeds are planted in the 1st or 2nd decade of February. To do this, mix peat, turf ground, humus and sand (6: 2: 2: 1). In the soil you need to add 20 g of urea and 200 ml of furnace ash.
Flush the prepared land with plenty of water. Wait until it is absorbed, then you can spill the seeds (they do not need to dig in). After that close the box with the seeds sown in polyethylene and store at room temperature.
Until the first sprouts grow, it is necessary to periodically spray the seeds with a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Water for irrigation needs to be taken only settled. Growing seedlings, remember that she needs a double pick. In this case, each time you need to shorten the main root by a third.
For the entire time of growing seedlings, it is necessary to pour the soil with Trichodermin 1 time. He will help future plants to confront various diseases. When shoots appeared, it is necessary to lower the temperature to 14 degrees for a couple of days. After the first few of these leaves appear, the seedlings must be thinned so that the distance between them is at least 5 cm, or transplant the root celery into pots.
By mid-August, organic matter leaves the leaves and accumulates in the roots. For large celery roots, do not cut the leaves during the summer. A few weeks before harvesting, tear off the side leaves and shoots, and also partially rake the ground.
Caring for celery is loosening between the rows, weeding and regular watering. Make sure that the crust does not form on the soil, otherwise the plant may get sick. A good aid in the care of celery is mulching the soil. It will help get rid of regular weeding, loosening between rows and will not allow the crust to form on the soil. Celery does not need hilling, otherwise it can provoke the formation of lateral roots and disfigurement of root crops. Watering the plant is moderate: the soil should be wet, but not wet.
Celery celery: cultivation
- To grow petiolate celery, select a plot with fertile soil, well ventilated and lighted. Consider that it requires good watering (per 1 square meter you will need 60 liters of water).
- Planting celery seedlings It begins in early March, and is transferred to the open ground in the first decade of May. The seedlings are planted in specially prepared trenches, leaving 20 cm between the plants. After planting the seedling beds, cover with polyethylene or sacking. About a week later, when he is well taken, the shelter can be removed.
- After 10 - 15 days, the bed with celery must be fertilized. For feeding, use urea, chicken manure or mullein (0.5 liters of fertilizer for 1 bucket of water). When the petioles grow 30 cm in length, they are bleached. To do this, weak side shoots are removed, and the rest are wrapped in paper, leaving only leaves in the sun.
- Before harvest, stalked celery is spuded twice. For 2 weeks before harvest, the stalks are tied at the top and wrapped in paper. Before frosts they are removed.
- Cereal celery harvest begins in September or October. The plant is carefully dug out of the ground along with its roots. It is also necessary to care for this kind of culture as for the root.
Celery: useful properties
Celery is a storehouse of unique nutrients for the body, and with a low calorie content. This allows it to be used during diets. Celery is useful in the form of freshly squeezed juice, it is added to salads, soups, served with meat, etc. This plant reduces cholesterol, slows the aging of the body.
Especially celery is good for men. The root and stem contain phytoandrogens - substances that stimulate testosterone production. For greater effect, the root and stems should be eaten for at least 1-1.5 months every day.
Celery is especially useful in fasting. Due to the high content of amino acids, tyrosine, it is a good meat substitute. Its essential oils stimulate digestion, pancreatic enzyme production.
This plant is rich in calcium - 100 g contains 1000 ml of calcium (daily rate for an adult). Celery helps wash salts, cleans the kidneys. A decoction of its leaves soothes the nerves and eliminates insomnia.
Celery is a healthy and tasty vegetable that any gardener can grow on his plot. You can use it for cooking a variety of dishes, as an ingredient for salad. Celery juice is especially valuable. It has healing properties and original taste.