People who have cats at home often experience an animal symptom like vomiting. Most often this is a reflex release of the contents of the stomach or intestines through the nose or mouth. There are many reasons that cause cat vomiting. As a rule, they are divided into 2 types: painful and natural. If the 2nd is considered quite normal, then the 1st is associated with any disease or poisoning and is a cause for concern.
Cat vomiting: main reasons
- Causes vomiting cat a lot. This may be the usual overeating or too fast a meal. Some pets sometimes have hungry vomiting, which usually occurs in the morning (it occurs in cats that eat 2 times a day).
- There is a cleansing vomit that helps an animal remove lumps of wool and undigested food from the stomach. Pregnant cats suffer vomiting on the 3rd week of term. It is associated with stretching of the walls of the uterus and hormonal changes.
- If you took a pet with you on a trip by car, it can get sick, which sometimes leads to an unpleasant symptom. An animal often vomits after eating grass or getting hair and hair into food.
- In addition, the gag reflex can be caused by chronic diseases, increased intracranial pressure, irritation of certain areas of the body, intestinal obstruction, increased pressure in the stomach and duodenum, etc.
- Vomiting, which lasts long enough and is not associated with meals, should alert you. In this case, it is recommended to contact your veterinarian to find out the reason and prescribe proper treatment.
What to do and how to help your pet?
Many owners ask a logical question - what to do when a cat vomits? If this is a one-time condition and the body temperature is not elevated, do not worry. You can simply put your pet on a starvation diet, lasting up to 24 hours, removing food and water, because the food can additionally provoke irritation of the stomach.
It is desirable for the first 2 - 3 days to observe a sparing diet, giving rice broth, medical feed and lean boiled chicken meat. You can gradually move to the usual menu by adding a new product every day.
A good remedy for vomiting is considered to be a decoction of flax seed and chamomile, which is given 3–4 times a day, 1–4 tbsp. (depending on the size of the kosha). In addition, you can, with repeated and severe vomiting, prick intramuscularly Zerukal or No-Shpu at the rate of 0.1 ml per 1 kg of animal weight. Some experts advise to give sorbents, similar to Enterosgel and Atoksila.
Vomiting, which occurs constantly, the general sluggish and apathetic condition of the cat, refusal to eat should alert you. Do not self-medicate, take the animal to the vet.
In the hospital, a specialist will ask you a series of questions that concern your pet's habits, diet and lifestyle, and then prescribe the necessary tests. After analyzes, the picture should clear up, and the doctor will select the treatment.
However, each owner should be aware of the elementary prevention:
- It is necessary to feed the cat properly, healthy and balanced food. If you give the animal food from the table, it may have problems with the liver, kidneys, stomach and intestines.
- Never feed your pet before a long trip.
- Do not neglect the annual vaccination against all kinds of infections.
- Every six months, do the prevention of worms.
- Carry out an annual inspection in a vet clinic.
- Brush your cat regularly. If necessary, you need to give him a special paste for removing wool, which contribute to its dissolution and removal from the digestive tract.
- Make sure that the cat does not have access to threads and needles, Christmas tinsel, indoor plants, trash, garden, household chemicals, etc.
- Pet toys must be solid, durable and free of toxic materials.
Causes of vomiting blood
If you notice that your cat is tearing with blood, this may indicate a trauma to the digestive tract. Such damage may be caused by an ulcer, tumor, foreign body, etc. Damage can occur on any part of the digestive tract. Prolonged vomiting of blood can reduce the vitality of the body, lead to dehydration and cause death. Noticing this symptom in your pet, immediately contact a veterinarian.
Why can a cat vomit white foam?
Sometimes, after the main vomiting in cats, vomiting of white foam continues. This can mean the onset of an infectious disease, be the result of consuming stale food, or indicate a clogged stomach with hair. In this case, it is better to turn to the vet sooner, before giving it to the pet product or activated charcoal.
Yellow cat vomiting is due to bile in the stomach. This not normal. This condition may be a sign of gallbladder or liver disease. It also appears with repeated vomiting on an empty stomach.
Cat vomiting is a condition that may indicate the presence of various diseases. At the slightest signs of poisoning and general malaise, immediately contact a vet clinic and do not self-medicate. Follow the health of your pets, feed them correctly and do not forget to comb them. The latter is important for preventing the symptom of cleansing vomiting.