How often does it happen that it is necessary to place various important trifles somewhere, pack them so as not to search around the whole house? How often begin the search for a suitable box for a parcel or other gift? And how often can not find what I would like in the store? All these issues and not only can be solved with minimal effort, if you master the technique of cardboard.
Cartonage: what is it?
The name of the technology speaks for itself: cardboard is a way to create a number of products from cardboard, followed by their design with the help of various decorative trifles - cut off and ribbons before embroidery and paper elements. Basically with the help of cardboard they make boxes for small things and sweets, packing boxes, large boxes and even lockers. In addition, the technology of cardboard allows you to create and decorative things: for example, floor vases. And since all the crafts have different functionalities, it should be understood that the basic material is not always simple cardboard, which is used in children's art: it may be more dense versions of it, up to pressed dense pipes, on which linoleum or carpet is wound. Such pipes can be purchased at the hardware store: they are often simply thrown away, so the cost will be quite low.
Additional materials are not only fabric and accessories, which are used for the final design of crafts, but also plain thin paper, occasionally required to fill voids, drawing paper, chipboard. Some products need painting with paints (it is better to take acrylic), fixing the final design with varnish. The latter is more relevant for decorative items - for example, vases, figurines - rather than for caskets and cabinets. And, of course, it is necessary to have working tools: large scissors, rulers, PVA glue or glue gun, threads with a needle, as well as metal clothespins for papers — they fix the sheets or fabric to be combined, which often holds cardboard. In general, absolutely any crafts made of cardboard that require certain actions in addition to simply cutting out individual elements are counted as cardboard, as a result of which the resultant cardboard will not be bookmarks for books, postcards, mat and other flat products.
Cartonage: large storage box
- Beginners who have not worked previously in the technique of cardboard, professionals advise to start with basic things: for example, the usual box for storing things. To create it, you will need thick cardboard (2 mm), regular stationery cardboard or drawing paper, any fabrics that you later plan to wrap around the product, as well as tools - scissors, glue, knife, ruler, and a narrow tape of 20-24 cm in length. It is required for the hinged cover. If you do not want to work out such technology yet, you do not need to prepare the tape. It is also recommended to find a substrate on which thick cardboard will be cut: ideally it should be a special board with millimetric markings on it.
- After you decide on the size of the future box, blanks for it are cut out of thick cardboard: the bottom and 4 walls. Moreover, the 2 walls should be slightly shorter (by the thickness of the cardboard), since during the subsequent assembly of parts they will be pressed from the sides by the remaining pair. For example, if your box is 50 cm wide, 2 walls will have a length of 50 cm, and so on. 2 walls - 49.8 cm. The parts are connected in the traditional way: the walls are put with glue-finished ends on the bottom, the short ones are located between the longer ones. . And so that the fixation turned out to be of the highest quality, it is recommended to fix the inner corners with masking tape.
- The next stage concerns the design, and here quite often there are quite a few problems. Initially, from the drawing paper you need to cut a rectangle, which in length will be equal to the sum of the lengths of all the walls of the box (i.e., its perimeter), and in width - the height of the same box. After that, the places of the folds corresponding to the corners on the cardboard box are outlined on it, and they are duplicated with the back of a scissors, so that the paper paper is easier to hold in the bent state.
- On the fabric chosen for decoration, the blank from the drawing paper is laid out so that there remain free areas of 1.5-2 cm at the edges. Whatman paper is processed with white glue and reapplied to the fabric, which must be carefully smoothed out to expel possible air bubbles and eliminate all irregularities. It is advisable to allow the main part of the material to dry before starting to bend the free edges inwards, also setting them to glue: this will reduce the risk of deformation. While this part is drying, the same steps are repeated for the bottom of the box: a rectangle similar to the parameters is cut out of whatman paper paper, glued in with a cloth, and dried.
- Now it is necessary to start combining the elements: the walls of the box are glued with a paper with whatman paper and a bottom is connected. It is very important to pay attention to the joints and edges, working them with glue with special care. You can use the same PVA glue, but it will be much better to work with a glue gun, or a transparent "Moment".
- Then you need to take care of the interior design, where you will need a drawing paper and a piece of fabric. The steps are the same: first a cardboard rectangle is cut, the dimensions of which are taken from the inside height and the perimeter of the box, then it is pasted over with the selected material, the edges of which are turned on the wrong side and also glued. In the end, it remains only to place this rectangle inside the box, fix it with metal clothespins, and leave the product for 5-6 hours so that it dries completely.
Cardboard workshop: casket
If we consider the algorithms for creating boxes and boxes in the technique of cardboard, you will notice that the process is almost the same everywhere. Those who have mastered a simple box, discussed above, will easily repeat the same steps, allowing to build a neat box, just reducing the size of parts. But, since it does not advance you as a master in cardboard, let some additional tasks appear. For example, a hinged lid, as well as the bottom drawer. For the steps described below, it is assumed that according to the classical technology, the base details for the box have already been made, but in a smaller size.
- So, on the first of the wide walls it is required to cut a hole for the future box: the simplest scheme is shown in the figure - this is a rectangle that has no limit below. On the sides it is better to leave 0.5-1 cm, so that the wall can be fixed qualitatively. In addition, a detail is cut from the same dense cardboard, in the shape of a similar box bottom, but with a smaller perimeter: this will be the inner bottom located above the drawer. All parts are assembled into the frame of the box and fixed with glue, after which the corners inside are duplicated with masking tape.
- From a cardboard of a lower density, a blank for the box is cut, also shown in the figure. It has the form of a rectangle with edges extending from it, and it will be assembled by a simple bending of parts and their subsequent gluing through the allowances provided for this. It is recommended to cut 2 such parts in order to strengthen the walls and the bottom of the box by gluing them into each other.
- A casket is made in the same way as a box for things: a drawing paper, the length corresponding to the outer and inner perimeter, as well as the bottom of the casket, is glued with a cloth, dried and framed the walls of the casket. Do not forget in the details for the walls immediately make a hole for the box - it is covered separately. For the box, a rectangle is cut that corresponds to its front side, it is also covered with a cloth and fixed. The inner walls of the box do not need to make out.
- The lid for the box is made of the same material as its wall: a part is cut that is equal in size to the bottom of the box, and then glued over with a cloth, but without using whatman paper. For this reason, the fabric leaves more: its edges on the wrong side of the lid should close their edges in the center. And so that they do not spoil the appearance of the product, they are covered with a small round or rectangular mirror fixed with a glue gun.
- The last moment is the fastening of the lid with ribbons: they need to be pulled diagonally, choosing the length so that when opening the box the lid leans back a little and does not create a right angle with the upper edge of the walls. Tapes can be glued, but it is better to sew a secret stitch: it will become a more secure fit. If you wish, you can make a box with embroideries, beads, rhinestones, etc.
Cartoning - technology is not complicated and very useful in everyday life. With its help, you can easily build an organizer for important details, find where to put things away, or prepare packaging for a gift to a loved one. All materials used in this case are easy to get, and the design stage allows you to maximize your creative side.