Eggplant, or blue - a useful vegetable in the garden of any summer resident. This is a dietary and medicinal product. At the end of the last century, scientists proved that eggplant prolongs life.Eggplant helps to cope with edema, strengthens the heart, stimulates the gastrointestinal tract, does not form bad cholesterol.
This vegetable is very rich in B vitamins, vitamin C, minerals (potassium, magnesium, iron, etc.), essential amino acids, proteins, carbohydrates, fiber, glucose, etc. Therefore, it is extremely important to eat it. For this we will grow it yourself in a greenhouse.
Preparation for planting eggplant. Growing seedlings
- To get started, buy eggplant seeds and plant seedlings. You can, of course, buy ready-made seedlings, making it easier for yourself.
- Plant seeds at the end of February.. You can use boxes or pots. If you plant seeds in pots, then two seeds at a time. Then one, weaker, remove. Two seeds are planted in order to insure about the non-occurrence of one seed.
- When saplings reach a height of about 15-20 cm and the formation of 5-7 leaves on each, seedlings can be planted in the greenhouse.
Planting seedlings and growing eggplants in the greenhouse
- In the greenhouse, take the eggplant patch next to the tomatoes., with other cultures, this plant gets along badly.
- Seedlings are planted at a distance of half a meter.Dig the holes shallow, but so that they can easily fit the roots of seedlings.
- Even when buying eggplant seeds, pay attention to the properties of the variety. If the variety is tall, then it just needs to be tied up when the plants reach a height of about 30 cm. It is possible before, as long as the plant does not bend.
- In about two weeks, the planted eggplants will completely return to normal.To help them, you need to water them periodically (two or three times a week). Water should be warm, room temperature. Watered eggplant seedlings, usually in the morning.
- Further care for eggplants in the greenhouse is not only in one watering. Earth should be periodically loosened, so that the roots of the plant are saturated with oxygen. But this should be done very carefully, because the roots of eggplant are close enough to the surface. While loosening the soil, make a movement toward the stem of the plant, not from it.
- As soon as buds begin to form, eggplants need to be fed. At this time, increase watering. Top dressing should be once a week. Usually use purchased fertilizer for tomatoes.
- Before feeding water the plants under the root. And after making fertilizer - spud eggplants.
- The period from seedling to harvest eggplant is about 80-135 days.
- Eggplant harvest depends not only on watering and fertilizing. It is also important stem formation.
- When eggplant reaches a height of about 30 cm, it is necessary to arrest the tip.. In this case, leave two or a maximum of three stepsons.
- With further development, on each branch they choose better, pinch from the second leaf and leave a single ovary. Thus, it is possible to achieve formation of from 5 to 10-12 fruits on one plant.
- Each twig is tied up so that it does not accidentally break under the weight of fruits..
- In addition to all the above, you must comply with the care of eggplant in the greenhouserelatively constant temperature. Eggplants do not tolerate sharp fluctuations in temperature, so eggplant outdoors is not the same as in greenhouses.
- Shine also plays an important role in the proper and healthy development of eggplants. Lighting should be sufficient. Choose for the eggplant the brightest, sunny places in the greenhouse. Sometimes it is necessary to tear off large leaves to eggplants that shade the plants with buds, flowers or fruits.
- HarvestingEggplant can begin as early as 36 days after flowering. See for yourself when, to your taste, they have reached the desired size. The fruits are cut with a knife, it is better not to tear them off with your hands, it can damage the plant. Make sure your eggplants do not overripe, in which case poisonous substances accumulate in them.
Eggplant pests and diseases
- Eggplant can hit aphid, spider mite andwhitefly.
- From aphids will help spraying young plants with intense pressure of water. But do not destroy the plants! If the aphid is severely infected, treat the eggplants with insecticides.
- Prevent the emergence of spider mites will help the correct humidity. Usually the insect starts at low humidity. However, humidity above 70% should not be tolerated. Ventilate the greenhouse well during the day in hot weather.
Growing eggplants in the greenhouse will be a pleasant and extremely useful thing for you.