Spray carnation, or branched carnation, or spray-carnation, takes second place after the distribution and cultivation for the purpose of sales. This is possible due to its good yield and high decoration.
Description of carnation spray
Spray carnation is a small tender plant. Stems thin, branched. The leaves are small, linear, blue-green with a waxy coating. Blooms in pink, white, red or variegated colors. The flowering period lasts three to four months.
Growing a carnation spray
- Spice carnation - light-loving plant, but can easily be reconciled with penumbra. Since the plant is very gentle, avoid direct sunlight. Take care of the bush carnation and from drafts, cold and strong winds - the stems can break.
- Land for spray carnations fit garden, well fertilized. It is better if the soil is light and mixed with lime.
- Watering carnation should be moderate. It does not tolerate both a lack and an overabundance of soil moisture.
- Propagate the carnation with seeds. They are planted in early spring in the landing boxes, and then in early May, planted in the open ground at the selected location. You can immediately sow the seeds on the garden plot.
- Weeding the soil from the weeds, as well as loosening the soil, is necessary for proper care of the carnation.
Pests and diseases of carnation bush
The following diseases and pests affect not only the bush carnation, but other types of carnations.
- Fusarium - a fungus that affects the entire upper part of the cloves and roots. Very often, the disease is detected in the period of budding. Fusarium can cause mechanical damage to plants during planting or care, as well as insects that destroy the integrity of the tissues of the carnation. The fungus progresses at higher temperatures (21 ° C - 26 ° C). It is often necessary to loosen the soil, to be careful when leaving, to destroy diseased individuals, diseased seeds. It is also necessary to disinfect the soil on which the diseased plants grew.
- Tracheomycosis - partial or complete wilting of the plant. Should do the same as Fusarium. And also sprinkle the base of the shoots of cloves with a mixture of 1: 1 quicklime and copper sulfate.
- Alternaria - damage to the leaves and stems of adults and young plants. This is a fungal disease of nature. The development of the disease is favored by warm and rainy weather. It is necessary to feed the carnation with phosphate-potassium fertilizers, remove weeds, change the area of crops.
- Septoria is a fungal disease. On the leaves and stems appear yellowish spots with a dark red border. It is necessary to observe crop rotation, cut off and destroy diseased plants, cultivate the ground well in autumn. Cloves sprayed with a 1% solution of Bordeaux mixture.
- Spotting - a fungal nature of the disease. Leaves, stems, seeds are affected. On the parts of the plant a yellowish-green velvety plaque is formed. You should not collect seeds from diseased plants, disinfect infected soil, spray adult plants with a 1% solution of Bordeaux mixture.
- Root rot - also refers to diseases of the fungal nature. Rapidly distributed in rainy weather. Disinfect the contaminated soil and, if possible, propagate the clove with seeds. When propagating by cutting, make cuttings from carnations not more than two years old. Excessive density of carnations should also be avoided.
- Rust is a disease caused by a rust fungus. It affects the green parts of the plant. It is necessary to introduce disease-resistant varieties, destroy diseased individuals and cultivate the soil to a depth of at least twenty centimeters, introduce a little lime into the soil.
See also:How to grow a Turkish carnation?
The use of carnation spray
Spray carnation is grown not so much for flowerbeds, borders, decorating the garden, as for drawing up flower arrangements. In flower shops it is sold both separately and as part of bouquets. A beautiful bush carnation in the composition of wedding bouquets - it gives tenderness to the composition.