Not many people know about such a variety of onion as Exhibichen, bred in Holland. Its distinguishing feature is the sweetish taste and large size, while the culture is one-year and difficult to care for. However, an experienced summer resident can be advised to try growing on the EXIBISHEN onion, which will be helped by the knowledge of the most important nuances of cultivation.
Onion Bulletin: Key Features
This Dutch selection is a moody instance. With all its attractive sides, sizes and taste, the onion is kept long. At best, it will be possible to keep it for 3-4 months, if the temperature is kept within 4 degrees. In addition, it will be possible to grow this variety only through seeds. But already this season you can enjoy incredibly sweet onions.
It is desirable to select beds for this onion such that the soil was well arched with manure. But not in a particular season, but at least 2 years before. If, prior to landing, we enrich the substrate with manure, this will entail the formation of loose heads. The zone itself, where Exibichen will be grown, is selected with minimal shade and neutral acidity. Land should be loosened, and therefore heavy clay areas are not for the Dutch selective. Ideal sandy options. And, of course, water should not stagnate in the soil. However, this bow loves moisture, so in order to preserve it, it is impossible to do without mulching.
When to sow an Exhibhen?
If all the recommendations below are followed exactly, the growing season of the Exibichen onion will not last longer than 80 days. At the same time, of all the varieties of onions with similar parameters, only Exichen ripens so quickly: the rest of the growing season is delayed. Thus, sowing is carried out closer to the last days of February. For the middle band, of course, this period is the beginning of work with seedlings. And in the southern areas, you can immediately send onions in open ground. There are no concrete numbers here: you only need to follow the temperature of the soil - it should not be below 10 degrees. The seedlings are planted in May.
Growing Onion Exichen from Seeds: Rules
- The seed growing algorithm that passes the seedling stage is suitable only for those zones where the spring is early and warm. Then in February, the seeds begin to be harvested, and closer to April, they are planted in open ground. The preparatory step is quite interesting and unusual. Because of the very small size of the seed, their primary selection and subsequent actions require toilet paper. As well as paste, any flat wide surface and seeds.
- The kleyster is prepared in advance and consists of water, a small amount of starch and AVA fertilizer. It is not characteristic of leaching from the soil, and its main task is a long-term effect on the root system. The result is the absence of the need to feed the onions further. A small pot or a ladle is taken as a container. It is initially poured 0.5 st. water, starch is poured in a volume of 1 tsp. The mixture is heated over low heat, carefully mixed. Lumps need to dissolve, and the paste itself - to become viscous, like sour cream. When it cools down, it needs to pour a little fertilizer.
- Now, on a flat tabletop strip of toilet paper are laid out: each is 1/3 of the width of the roll. But, in fact, the orientation goes to the initial width of the bed and the number of rows on it. And once the planting will be carried out together with the paper strip, the seeds must be attached to it, keeping a minimum distance of 5-7 cm between them. This will prevent the need for thinning of the seedlings.
- How to fix? This requires a paste. A toothpick or similar tool is applied to toilet paper over the entire length of the toilet paper while keeping the specified distance. A seed is buried in each droplet. Once all of them are placed on paper strips, it is time for the paste to dry. Often spent on it no more than a day. The final step is to create rolls of these tapes and lower them into a free plastic bag. Until the day of disembarkation they will be stored in it.
- Of course, you can simply sift the rows at the cottage in April, and then deal with thickened shoots, but at least for reasons of comfort it is easier to take care of the seeds in advance. Then in the middle of spring it will be enough just to distribute the ribbons and sprinkle them with earth.
How to grow onions from a seedling?
When disembarking a Dutch selekta for seedlings, one has to work hard, which is compensated by a rich harvest. Only with such a scheme is it possible to obtain the largest and heaviest heads and to save each seed. Difficulties begin with the preparatory stage. Here, all the onion seeds purchased are dipped in warm water and lie half a day in it. The most convenient way to soak them for the night. Then they are necessarily wrapped in a damp cloth, where they are stored for 4-5 hours. And after that they undergo a disinfection procedure.
For onion seed seeds, the disinfectant solution is the same as for many others: potassium permanganate in a volume of 1 g is dissolved in 1 liter of water. Her color will be deep pink. Here the seeds will lie for at least 8 hours, while the water temperature should be kept at 40 degrees. In the meantime, decontamination occurs, preparing the substrate for seedlings. Its components are the mullein, which has had time to perepret, humus and turf. The ratio is 1: 9: 10.
The boxes selected for seedlings are filled with soil mixture. They are buried by 1.5 cm seeds, which are important to sift quite thickly. Glass is fixed on top or, in the absence of it, a thin film is taken. Remove the container with seedlings in a deprived of light, but a warm place for 1.5 weeks. Such a period is predicted by experienced gardeners before germination. During the entire period, it is necessary to check the humidity and wash condensate from the glass.
When shoots make their way, the improvised lid is removed, and the box is transferred to a more lighted area. Until the very day of planting in open ground will have only to irrigate, for which the water must always be warm. In the period of gaining strength seedlings is 20-22 degrees. While waiting for the leaves - not less than 10 degrees at night and 17 degrees during the day. In addition, be sure to air the seedlings and gradually carry them to the balcony. These procedures begin 2 weeks before disembarking on the site. Pinching begins from 3 sheets.
Care of a plant in an open ground
There are only 4 key nuances in the cultivation of Exibichen at the site: loosening, preventing pest attacks, weeding and watering. But before you attend to them, you need to properly plant onions. The size of the beds is created arbitrarily, but the parameters of the wells under the seedlings are fixed: a scheme of 20 * 30 cm is used. If seeds are planted in open ground, but not saplings, furrows are drawn with sufficient depth. They will be laid out previously harvested tape.
Since the protection against pests was mentioned, the advice of experienced gardeners cannot be cited: they recommend placing a carrot bed near the Exhibition. 2 of these cultures will perfectly cope with all the parasites who can cause them damage. And if you want more and facilitate the process of eliminating weeds, and even less to worry about watering, you can mulch the garden with onions. For this purpose, any suitable material for this process is suitable: from paper to straw.
When planting, the seedlings are not buried; the upper part of the bulb is only crimped with fingers, remaining slightly on the surface. In addition, before this, the wells or grooves (depending on the method of disembarkation) are carefully shed with water. Leave the seeds and seedlings should be in the dirt. Then it is precisely on this white part of the head peeping from the ground that the loosening and easy dropping will be carried out. In June, be sure to spill the Dutch selective infusion of mullein.
Autumn harvesting is done with the use of forks and does not cause any difficulties: due to the peculiarities of the variety Eksibishen, it does not deepen its bulbs, but leaves them almost on the surface. This facilitates their removal from the soil. Before drying and storing the feather cut is not required.
There are no special tricks in the cultivation of onion Exhibishen. In many ways, the technology of working with it is similar to that proposed for the leek, and only the nuances of disembarking are slightly different. It is important for you to remember the basic rules of cultivation of this culture, and you can safely buy seeds.