Aquarium gives the house coziness and comfort, brightening up loneliness. Doctors advise keeping aquarium fish in the house, as they help relieve stress and fatigue. As you know, the conditions of maintenance of fish and the features of care for them differ depending on the type of aquarium inhabitants. Let's see how to properly contain barbs and what makes these representatives of the Karpov family special.
Barbs fishes and their types
Of all the types of fish the most convenient for the care and maintenance are barbs. They are unassuming in food and do not require constant monitoring. In nature, there are nine species of barbs, differing in color and shape:
- Five band;
The size of the barbus can vary in length and averages 4-6 cm. The shape of the head and body, as well as the color depends on the type and sex of the fish. The body is an elongated oval with a rounded head. Bright diverse color attracts with its shades.
Barbusy: maintenance and care
Despite the good adaptability to the new habitat conditions, for barbs it is better to create an environment that is close to the natural one. To maintain even a dozen fish you need an aquarium with a volume of at least 70-80 liters. Such a large space is necessary for creating comfortable conditions, since the barbs are much more mobile than their counterparts from the Karpov family.
It is better to choose coarse gravel or sand of a large fraction as the underlying surface. At the time of spawning, it is necessary to clean the litter and instead put a net through which the eggs can pass.
Of all the variety, three types of barbs are the most popular:
How to care for the bar Denisoni?
Barbus Denison is quite an expensive type of fish, as it is very rare in nature. The only habitat of Denison in its natural environment is South India. In this country, they prohibit fishing for barbs and breed them only on special farms. If you decide to acquire these rare representatives of barbs, then you must provide them with the following conditions:
- Baron Denison is best kept in aquariums with a large volume of water and the presence of an aerator;
- due to the rather large size of the barb (11 cm) and high mobility, it is better to choose a capacity of at least 200 liters, which will allow the fish to feel comfortable;
- it is advisable to plant the bottom with vegetation with large leaves, since Denisoni is often not averse to eat delicate leaves;
- Baron Denison's content is associated with a constant change of water, since the slightest oxygen starvation leads to his death or disease.
Due to its cheerful character, the fish love to frolic in the current, so you can create an artificial whirlpool using a filter. The game is a favorite style of spending time in Denison barbs.
What you need to know about Barbus Sumatransky?
Sumatran barbus is found most often, and its habitat is quite wide. The homeland of the Sumatran individual is Southeast Asia, areas of Thailand and Malaysia. On the territory of Russia Sumatran barbus was introduced in the middle of the 20th century. In appearance, this individual resembles a clown fish with its bright golden color. Throughout the torso are dark stripes that give the fish an elegant austere appearance.
Unlike most of the representatives of the Karpov family, the barbat Sumatransky does not have a mustache. On average, the size of the fish is no more than 4 cm, although in nature there are specimens that are more impressive: reaching a length of 7 cm.
Features of maintenance and care:
- like other individuals, the Sumatran barbus lives in flocks, so you need to buy at least 5-6 fish at once, since their small number can lead to constant clashes both among themselves and with other inhabitants of the aquarium;
- Only active, brightly colored fish, but not with very long fins, should be brought into the barbs;
- despite the fact that barbs are not predators, they like to eat other people's fins and fry, so during spawning it is better to plant other individuals in a separate aquarium;
- Sumatransky barbus must be kept in clean water, and the level of hardness should be minimal, since they do not tolerate solid water;
- the temperature in the aquarium should be at least 25 degrees;
- water in the aquarium should be changed at least once a week.
You should not put fish together with large voluminous fins together, as barbs love to suck on their tips. If the aquarium to the barbs add some bold fish, then they will become more calm and cautious. At the time of laying the caviar barbusses it is better to relocate, since they will eat all the litter.
The process of breeding barbs is quite troublesome, so it is worth preparing for it carefully. It is necessary to take into account that it is better to choose the most active fish for breeding, since this will allow breeding healthy offspring. The age must be at least 10 months, while the female may be slightly older than the male.
At the time of the fertilization process, which lasts no more than a day, you need to transplant barbs in a separate aquarium. After laying the roe, the couple is removed from the aquarium to save offspring. A week later, fry are born, which can be hooked to adult individuals a month later.
Common diseases of barbs
The most common type of disease among the barbs is a fin disease, leading to low mobility of the fish and, as a rule, to its death. Fin disease is associated with an infection that falls through small sores and cuts, which begin to rot and spoil the water in the aquarium. When identifying the first signs of the disease, immediately remove the affected fish and rinse the aquarium to reduce the likelihood of the others remaining sick. Even if the barb is recovering, he can become a peddler of infection, so you should not immediately let in the aquarium externally recovered fish.
The most common cause of all types of diseases of barbs is poorly processed dishes for feeding fish. In order to avoid the appearance of diseases such as white-skinned, gill rot and rubella, you should constantly disinfect the instrument.
Any inhabitant of the aquarium requires proper maintenance and care, so you need to control the process of feeding the fish and the temperature of the water. Compliance with all recommendations for the care of barbs will allow you to create your own little corner of wildlife in the house and enjoy the contemplation of the underwater world.