Incredible beauty floral carpets of all shades of purple, most often found in rock gardens - this is obriet. Or, otherwise, windbag. A rather capricious plant, submissive to the hand of an experienced gardener, has been held in high esteem for many years, during which more than 40 of its species have been bred. The peculiarities of its cultivation must be known to everyone who decided to decorate his plot with this culture.
Aubrieta flowers: photos and features of the plant
The windbag belongs to the cruciferous family and is a perennial culture, which allows once to attend to the issue of its planting and in the future only to maintain the condition of the bush. Although a bush in the literal sense, it is difficult to call Obriet: it expands so strongly in breadth and so actively spreads along the ground that it is more like a floral carpet. From afar for the abundance of inflorescences of its green and not visible. However, there are varieties with tall stems that are cut for bouquets.
Although purple shades of varying degrees of intensity are considered the classic shade of colors, varieties are found in red, pink and even white. Small buds made up of 4 petals can be neat and compact. And they can come across semi-double and terry variations of them, more like fluffy balls, gathered with tassels. Due to their beauty, inconspicuous oblong leaves with a short fuzz are lost. Flowering begins in late spring and lasts 45-50 days. The next wave is marked closer to the fall.
The main advantage of obriety is its ability to grow on stony terrain. This makes it ideal for rock gardens, cracks between stonework, paths. Despite the requirements for care, the windbag is taking root in almost any conditions. In addition, in contrast to a number of other flowers, a haircut for the winter does not lose foliage and does not even fade, quietly enduring strong frosts. Therefore, the garden and in the cold season will look presentable. However, in the absence of snow in the winter, it is recommended to cover the plant with spruce branches.
Aubrieta: growing from seed
- Reproduction of obriety through sowing is the most convenient and affordable. It is produced in the fall and immediately in open ground, even in areas with a changeable climate and early frosts. Some gardeners sow shaver in May, but this does not affect anything: it will still not be possible to see flowering bushes this summer.
- Another important point is that the sowing of windbag should be carried out on the garden, so that young and thin shoots do not mix with weeds and die at the early stage of their growth. For this reason, until the seeds are lowered into the substrate, all the roots of weeds should be removed from the ground and carefully loosened (depth - 12 cm). In order to further the absence of weeds, they sow shaven on hills or in crevices between the stones: artificial walls, sides, etc.
- Watering of young shoots is done very carefully, it is best to do this by spraying the soil, so as not to inadvertently damage barely sprouted shoots.
- In sowing at home, some gardeners use the following scheme: first, they lower the seeds into vermiculite (an element of the earth mixture, which allows loosening the substrate), keep it there for up to 2 months. The initial 2-3 weeks of this period, it is desirable to maintain a temperature of 18-20 degrees, covering the seeds with polyethylene. And only after the 8th week, they make a landing in the ground.
- The area where Aubrieta will grow will be chosen so that the sun's rays constantly fall on it. The slightest partial shade will lead to the fact that the bush will not bloom, remaining evergreen, and the leaves turn pale. On such zones the windbag does not grow in breadth, but begins to stretch in length.
- The substrate for the sowing of windbag chosen infertile, necessarily easy. Excess sand obriet perceive calmly, which can not be said about clay soil. Be sure to enter ash or lime into the ground to reduce acidity. It is desirable to maintain the pH level in the range of 6-7.5, shifts are allowed only in the direction of alkali. Additionally, it is necessary to feed the plant with peat, and at the time of flowering complex mineral fertilizer is introduced.
Aubrieta: landing and care
The young plant at the initial stage requires abundant watering, if planted not in southern latitudes. After it will be enough rains and rare but careful watering on arid hot days. It is indifferent to moisture, therefore the soil is actively drained. Excess water is fraught with a decrease in the activity of flowering and the appearance of green leaves. But to carry out mulching after sowing will have up to 3 times, using the river sand. Layer - no more than 5 cm, added mostly closer to the roots. This will contribute to the active growth of the bush.
An important nuance in the care of obriyeto - its pruning. After spring flowering, gardeners recommend removing all the stems to the very root, so as not to overgrow. In exchange for the destroyed shoots, new ones will begin to grow, which will be the next wave of flowering in the fall. The only thing that it will be less abundant and lush, greens will begin to prevail over buds. Therefore, in autumn, windbag is more often used as a background for the remaining objects of rock garden. And in order to preserve the attractiveness of the bush during the entire period, dried flowers and shoots should be removed. In the fall, pruning is not done, dead leaves are destroyed in the spring.
Pests on the windbag almost never attack. The only insect that can be found on the shaver is aphid. Dried shoots, shrinking leaves are considered to be its sign. To fight through insecticides is required carefully and only in extreme cases. It is better to carry out prevention - to actively feed the land when sowing, as well as to mulch it later. Permissible to spray bushes infusion of nettle.
Of the diseases, powdery mildew can strike the enriet, as a result of which the plant is under a white patina. Treatment - colloidal sulfur dissolved in water. If the damage is extensive, the bush should be destroyed so that the disease is not transmitted to healthy specimens.
Aubrieta perennial: reproduction by cutting
Another one of the method of propagation of windbag is considered to be grafting. It is produced much more often than the usual sowing of seeds. Acquired cuttings will bloom in the current year, which is not the case with newly sown seedlings. The same method is valuable for the usual reproduction of the bushes, and at the same time it is necessary to select shoots from the non-flowering parts of the obriya. They will take root in the greenhouse, placed in a sand-peat mixture. Planting in the open ground cuttings of windbag is carried out in August, at a distance of 10-15 cm. If it is expected early and cold autumn, you can allow the seedlings to winter in a warm house or greenhouse until April.
Another one reason why cutting in the case of obrieta is in great demand is the decrease in resistance to cold and disease in adult bushes. The older he is, the higher the risk of his death in the new season. Therefore, gardeners recommend cutting each year, thus propagating valuable varieties. But to divide the bushes, as is done with other plants, is not worth it: Aubrieta does not tolerate such a method of reproduction, and as a result there is a high chance to spoil the flower.
Aubrieta deltoid: plant characteristics
The deltoid Obriet became the ancestor of many hybrid varieties. She actively appears in the suburban areas of the middle zone. These are bushes 15 cm high with dark green leaves, as if sprinkled with ashes, having a light down on the outside and sparse teeth on the edge. Flowers are mostly lilac, up to 1 cm in diameter, flower stalks are 17 cm in height. Deltoid windmill blooms in early May, its blooming lasts no more than 35 days. Some varieties have a purple-blue tint.
A number of hybrid varieties of the deltoid obriyeta are distinguished by their height — 20 cm and a change in the color spectrum: pale purple petals having a bright orange center. A "Cascadered", though not aly in the direct sense, is close to this shade. Its height is only 10 cm, flowering lasts until June inclusive.
Growing up on your plot, you will have to abide by many rules and conditions. For example, do not feed it with manure or fertilizer containing nitrogen. This will reduce the ability of the plant to resist frost. Remember about its requirements for the sun and dislike for moisture, and the beautiful framing of the walls, paths and rock gardens in your garden will become a reality.