Annual flowers are called that because their growing season is one year. This is either from warm tropical countries, or the flowers of our latitudes with a small life cycle.
Annual flowers are very successful for growing in the country, because they serve as a decorative ornament. Annual flowers can be planted every year as opposed to perennial. Over the years, perennial plants may die, and you may not have a replacement for them. Then annual plants will always come to the rescue.
All annual flowers are planted in the spring or finished seedlings or seeds immediately in open ground. In the fall, they give seeds that are harvested and sowed for the next year.
Curly annual flowers
Curly annual flowers are good to use in the country for gardening fences, arbors, house walls, etc.
Among them deserve special attention: nasturtium, ipomoea, decorative beans, sweet peas.
- Nasturtium-ornamental annual plant. Stems can reach 3 m. The flowers are large, fragrant, irregular in shape. Coloring is orange, yellow, red, less often cream. It blooms from late June until autumn. Seeds ripen at the end of July.
- Ipomey-flowers correct, single, funnel-shaped, white, pink, violet, lilac, blue flowers. They open early in the morning and close late in the evening. The flowering period is from June to September.
- Decorative haricot is a decorative annual plant up to 5 m long. The flowers are white, bright red or two-colored (red with white). The flowering period - from June to autumn. In decorative bean, not only flowers are expressive, but also large pods collected in clusters.
- Sweet peas - flowers usually lilac, irregular, smell nice and strong.
Non-rising annual flowers
There are many flowers among this group, but first of all it is tagetes, calendula, kosmeya, escholzia, mattiola, sunflower, lavender, petunia, fragrant tobacco, zinnia and others.
- Tagetes, or marigolds - low annual plants. For more information about tagging, see the article How to grow marigolds.
- Calendula is a very popular ornamental annual. The flowers are bright orange. It is a medicinal plant.
- Kosmeya is an ornamental annual plant. Inflorescences - in the form of large flowers, daisies, different colors: red, pink or white.
- Eschsoltsiya - an ornamental herb. The leaves are deeply dissected. The flowers are red or orange.
- Mattiola blooms with small white, mauve, lilac or yellow flowers. Mattiola has a very strong pleasant smell, by the evening it gets stronger and spreads around.
- Sunflower - an annual ornamental and agricultural plant. It can reach a height of several meters. Single flower large size, with rich yellow petals. In cloudy weather closes. The flower follows the movement of the sun.
- Lavater - flowers large, solitary or gathered in inflorescences. The color of the petals can be yellow, pink, magenta.
- Petunia - is widely used for gardening and decorating not only summer cottages, but also balconies, and city streets and squares. A fairly common plant among annual flowers. Petunia flowers are variously colored (in more detail - in the article Secrets of growing petunias).
- Zinnia - has many different varieties with flowers of various colors. All of them are low (up to 1m) and unpretentious in care.
- Sweet tobacco is a low annual plant (20-30 cm). It blooms from mid-summer to October. The flowers are white, red, crimson flowers, star-shaped. It smells nice and strong.
Each aforementioned species of annual plants has its own peculiarities in the care. In this article it is impossible to cover them. Here you can only choose which annual flowers you can plant in your summer cottage: some in flowerbeds, for decorating borders and paths, others for hedges, wall decorations for houses, gazebos, etc.