The stomach is often the most difficult area to determine the exact cause of any discomfort, because a large number of internal organs are concentrated here. Moreover, abdominal pain in the navel can be equally caused by external situational factors and serious internal disorders associated with chronic pathologies.
Physiological causes of abdominal discomfort
In order to make a relatively accurate diagnosis independently, without resorting to the help of a doctor and medical examinations, it is necessary to determine the nature of this unpleasant sensation, the frequency of its occurrence, associated symptoms, and the conditions in which it manifested itself.
- The most common factor in women who like to emphasize their waists is very tight clothing and tightly fastened straps that can buckle into the skin or squeeze internal organs, which, with prolonged discomfort, develops into quite tangible pain. It may persist even after the thing delivering the discomfort is removed. In some cases, this leads to impaired digestion and stool, since a negative effect is exerted on the internal organs: in particular, on the intestines.
- Muscle overstrain - a situation rare, but still having a place to be and arising after increased physical exertion. Most often, the pumping of the press, which can contribute to the abdominal muscles, becomes a provocateur. In women, this happens more often than in men, especially in the absence of body preparation. The pain in this case has a constant, but not harsh nature, aggravated by drawing in the abdomen (for example, by coughing), as well as by bending. It takes 2-3 days.
- There are also purely female reasons: after the 10th day of the menstrual cycle, a woman has a rupture of the follicle, which is sometimes characterized by pain on the left or right side of the navel. The discomfort is short but tangible.
- Disturbances in the nervous system also sometimes lead to similar acute abdominal pain. In general, they resemble the sensations of a large number of needles that dig into internal organs, repeat several times over the course of a day, or even not let go for some time. The prerequisite becomes severe stress, causing vascular and muscle spasms. The problem is not dangerous, it is solved as a timely relaxation, and, with frequent occurrence, a course of sedatives.
Yet situational factors are much less common than those related to various internal disorders - from hernia to inflammatory processes in the digestive tract. Therefore, carefully read the information below.
What diseases are characterized by pain near the navel?
The bulk of the problems here are associated either with the intestines located directly behind the navel and below, or with the appendix, or with the umbilical hernia. In addition, there are worm infestations, dysbacteriosis, food allergies, intestinal obstruction, reflux, celiac disease, mainly characterized by dull, aching pain that occurs systematically for a long time.
- A rather "safe" reason, leading to acute pains in the navel, is intestinal cramps. They look like cramps caused by stress, but more frequent and prolonged, accompanied by chills, pressure drop, and general weakness of the body. If within 10-15 minutes. they do not subside, it is necessary to take a pill of No-Shpy or a similar drug, or just take a horizontal position and relax. This is not a pathology, serious treatment is often not required, but you should reconsider your diet and temporarily remove caffeine and chocolate from it, as well as foods rich in coarse fiber.
- If the pain is accompanied by a seal under the navel, it is likely that the case goes to the umbilical hernia. At the same time, the stomach can protrude forward, under no effort to retract; its tension, which causes discomfort, remains.
- The aggravation of appendicitis is the most terrible diagnosis, which is characterized not only by the cutting pain in the navel, but also on the right, as well as across the entire area of the abdomen. In some cases there is a return and in the anus. Increased pain occurs when moving, trying to lie on the left side; additional symptoms are fever and sweating, vomiting. Before that, for a long time, problems with stool (constipation), weakening of immunity, bloating are noticed.
- Enteritis - an inflammatory process in the small intestine, which is often exacerbated after eating with an abundance of spices, as well as due to fatty foods. The pain diverges around the circumference of the navel, and may be accompanied by nausea, loss of appetite, rumbling of the abdomen and meteorism, diarrhea. Almost the same signs in infectious bowel disease.
It is worth noting that sometimes the pain is accompanied by a feeling of strong pulsation, as if the heart suddenly turned out clearly under the navel: this is typical of people with a lack of weight.
What do pains in the navel area say during pregnancy?
This feminine state needs to be given special attention, since there can be both all of the above points, and those that are associated only with the reproductive system, but no less dangerous. Their early identification can save both the expectant mother and the fetus.
- The physiological reason is an increase in the size of the uterus, its corresponding stretching, as well as displacement of the internal organs, especially the round ligament of the liver, which is the umbilical vein. In such a situation, the pain is not of an acute nature, but can be long, occur several times throughout the 9 months, although it is mainly present in the early stages. There are no other symptoms, there is no need to worry either.
- With poorly developed abdominal muscles (and these are internal, not those that form "cubes"), as the size and weight of the uterus increases, a woman may have a chance of developing an umbilical hernia. Again, in most cases, this process does not pose a danger, although the navel that is turning inside out can be frightening: after birth, everything returns to its place. However, the doctor still seems to be worth it, especially if, in addition to unpleasant sensations, vomiting begins, a pulse jumps, and a seal forms in the navel zone.
- Concerning the possible pathologies of the embryo, doctors say that they are usually not characterized by pain in the center of the abdomen, but it is possible to return to this area, as well as to the lower back, which should cause an emergency call or an independent visit to an obstetrician-gynecologist Your condition.
As for those factors that occur not only in a pregnant woman - in particular, an attack of inflammation of the appendix, it is especially dangerous for the expectant mother, because they can provoke fetal hypoxia, placental abruption, miscarriage, uterine bleeding.
Is it possible to solve the problem yourself?
The first thing that all experts warn about is not to take any action until finding out the exact reasons. Do not try to relieve pain with antispasmodics, a warm or cold heating pad, massage, and other emergency methods that can stop certain processes, worsening your condition and complicating the follow-up examination to the doctor. If the pain is sharp and throbbing, accompanied by nausea and vomiting, fever, weakness, call the ambulance team. If she pursues you day after day, but at the same time is quite tolerant — that is, you do not have to change your work schedule — take time to visit the doctor on your own.
- If you identify problems with the digestive tract that do not require hospitalization, the specialist will prescribe medications and tell you what the diet should be, as well as what procedures should be performed at home or in the hospital. Most of these diseases require mandatory diet, which means the rejection of heavy food (fatty, fried, spicy), confectionery products, as well as products that cause fermentation processes and flatulence.
Summing up, I would like to note that it is impossible to make an accurate diagnosis on your own, even if the majority of symptoms indicate a particular disease. If the discomfort in the abdomen does not haunt you for the first 24 hours, show your doctor a gastroenterologist: the test will not be superfluous, and in the case of a really serious problem, its early detection will do you good and will allow you to recover your health with minimal losses.