The mucus in the nasopharynx is normally produced constantly: it moisturizes the mucous membrane and prevents the penetration of pathogenic microflora into the respiratory tract. But an excess of mucus leads not only to physical discomfort, but also a threat to health. Why does mucus accumulate in the nasopharynx, how to get rid of its excess and what causes excessive mucus?
Breath! Do not breath
- It is not enough to eliminate the symptoms, it is necessary to search for the cause and fight it. If the causes of mucus in the nasopharynx lie in diseases of the upper respiratory tract, then the patient is prescribed medications, including from the group of antibiotics. In severe cases, even surgery may be required. The question of its expediency is decided by the doctor.
- In order to reduce the amount of mucus produced, the patient should follow a diet. First of all, reduce to a minimum the amount of milk and dairy products. Enrich the same diet should be products containing vitamins E and C.
- The amount of consumed fluid (water) should be about two liters per day.
- Respiratory gymnastics become a useful measure.
- It is necessary to minimize contact with household chemicals, irritating the nasopharyngeal mucosa, and tobacco smoke.
- Rinse with salt solution will help to clear the nasopharynx. Such a solution can be prepared independently at home (1 tablespoon liter of salt per 0.5 liter of warm water).
- An effective measure is considered to be inhalation; 1 drop of eucalyptus oil can be added to saline solution.
- Hot inhalations are made with mint, nettle, potatoes. The main thing is that the components do not have allergies;
- It will help ease breathing and remove mucus from the garlic: the dried stem is set on fire, extinguish the fire so that the stem continues to smoke (does not burn). Smoke is inhaled whenever possible by the nose. Garlic contains a large amount of phytoncides that effectively fight the common cold and nasal congestion.
- Peach oil is instilled into both nostrils up to 6 times a day, one drop each.
- Humid indoor air contributes to the dilution and removal of mucus, and dry, on the contrary, aggravates the situation, the mucus accumulates in the nasopharynx.
- The leaves of aloe (the plant must be mature, from three years old) are crushed and floral honey is added. The mixture is taken in a teaspoon three times a day;
- To rinse, brew a tablespoon of marigold flowers (calendula) with a glass of boiling water, leave for an hour and rinse with filtered infusion nasopharynx.
Medical tips complete the list:
- Irrigation of the mucous membrane with special preparations with anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effect;
- Abundant warm drink;
- Receiving drugs to liquefy sputum and its discharge;
- Back and chest massage to help get rid of sputum;
Causes of mucus
If mucus flows through the back of the nasopharynx, the treatment, first of all, should be aimed at eliminating the causes. They can be very different:
- Spicy, salty foods, spices cause irritation of the oral mucosa and nasopharynx. The response may well be increased mucus secretion;
- Tobacco smoke causes the same effect: the body tries to stop toxins, prevent them from entering the lungs and trapping it in the nasopharynx with mucus;
- Allergies often cause irritation and discharge of mucus. Allergens irritate the mucous membrane, the body takes all possible measures to get rid of them;
- The cause of mucus can be a violation of the gastrointestinal tract, so if the ENT doctor is powerless, it is worth going to a gastroenterologist for a test;
- The growths of the mucous membrane - polyps - make it difficult to nasal breathing, cause the separation of mucus and runoff on the back wall;
- The most common cause of mucus is a disease of the upper respiratory tract.
The mucus produced by the body in excess, not only causes discomfort, but also causes unpleasant smell from the mouth, a violation of the flow of oxygen to the organs and tissues, and snoring. In order to get rid of an unpleasant symptom, it is necessary to treat the cause. If self-medication for 4-5 days does not help, you should seek help from a specialist.