A lot of people at least once in their life felt twitching of the muscles of the left eyelid. Such a phenomenon makes one wonder whether involuntary muscle contraction does not indicate the development of certain diseases. To answer this question, you need to find out why the left eye is twitching and find out how to deal with it.
Most people who occasionally feel twitching of their eyes are indifferent to this symptom and are slow to seek medical help, since they do not observe a deterioration in their general well-being. This condition is called "hyperkinesis", or "nervous tick", and does not always pass without a trace for the body.
Eyelid twitches in the left eye: causes
If a person feels involuntary quick cuts of the upper eyelid for several minutes or even several hours - this is not a cause for concern. After all, such nervous twitching often happens in people who are in good health. But the duration of hyperkinesis for more than a day is a signal that the functioning of the nervous system is impaired.
If a nervous tic lasts a long time ago and even those around you notice that your friend’s left eye is twitching, the reasons may be so.
Disruption of the central nervous system:
- physical or psychoemotional stress;
- constant fatigue and lack of sleep;
- violation of the mineral and water balance in the body;
- magnesium deficiency - a substance that provides the interaction of nervous and muscular tissue;
- increased need for magnesium during childbirth, sporting events, nervous overstrain;
- exposure to alcohol and caffeine;
- violation of cerebral circulation;
- Parkinson's disease;
- Bell's palsy;
- increased intracranial pressure;
- genetically determined disorders of the central nervous system;
- neoplasms in the brain.
- transferred infectious and viral diseases;
- chronic diseases of the organs of excretion.
- daily long-lasting visual loads;
- infection of the eyeball;
- dry cornea;
- allergic reaction;
- side effects of medication;
- contact with irritants;
- myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism.
Both left and right optic nerve are capable of causing spontaneous muscle contractions with equal success. But, as a rule, both eyes do not make uncontrolled movements at the same time. Most often twitches the upper eyelid of the left eye. The causes of this phenomenon do not differ from those due to which the lower eyelid of the left eye is twitching. You should not be frivolous: if you do not eliminate serious causes in time, they gradually aggravate the pathological process that has begun.
How to get rid of a nervous tic?
In order not to suffer from involuntary muscle activity, first of all it is necessary to change the lifestyle:
- start taking a complex of vitamins with a high content of magnesium, calcium and glycine;
- add seeds, nuts, buckwheat and oat groats, beans and spinach to the diet;
- give up bad habits and frequent consumption of coffee, strong tea;
- establish the correct mode of work and rest;
- periodically relieve emotional tension with pleasant music and easy communication;
- gently massage the eyelids;
- reduce the time spent at a computer, tablet or smartphone;
- when working at a computer, eliminate dryness of the cornea with the help of special drops;
- timely treat infectious diseases and take homeopathic medicines that strengthen the immune system.
If a person takes into account the listed recommendations, but his left eye is twitching for more than 1-2 days, the reasons remain a mystery, and he cannot decide what to do, time to consult an ophthalmologist. The doctor will check whether such a symptom is caused by an infection (it must be immediately eliminated with the help of antibacterial therapy) or by refraction - a violation of the refraction of the rays in the optical system of vision, requiring correction by appropriately selected lenses. Even if the patient does not feel visual discomfort, perhaps he still has slight refraction, which leads to fatigue of the eye muscles.
In addition to the ophthalmologist, be sure to visit a neurologist. A specialist of this profile can detect severe neurological diseases, nerve damage, the formation of tumors in the brain and prescribe the necessary drug or surgical treatment.
You will also need the help of a nephrologist to rule out kidney disease. If diabetes or allergy is detected, hyperkinesis will be eliminated during the treatment of the underlying disease.
Those who feel involuntary muscle contractions need to be more attentive to their health, to know why this is happening. And if the left eye is twitching for several days, the person should consult the doctors and undergo the necessary examinations in order not to miss the onset of serious diseases.