It is not customary to talk about some health problems out loud, sometimes a person is embarrassed to even report them to a doctor. One such delicate issue is mucus in the feces. In an adult, such inclusions are always present in the stool. But if their number increased, and the more blood appeared, then false shame should be discarded and went to the clinic.
Mucus in the feces in an adult - the norm or the reason for a medical examination?
Today, every second inhabitant of the planet suffers from problems with the digestive tract. Up to 50% of the adult population suffers from stomach pain, distention and constipation. Very often, mucus is also found in the feces. Usually, sick people have no idea what causes its appearance, which specialist to go to and how to overcome this ailment.
A limited amount of mucus in the intestines is always there. It consists of dead skin cells and leukocytes, which are removed from the intestines naturally. This is quite normal. The complete absence of mucus is fraught with constipation. But if there are yellow or white lumps of mucus (including blood) in the feces, then this is a signal of illness. Ignoring such symptoms, hoping that everything will go away by itself, is very dangerous, since an increased amount of mucus can speak of serious ailments.
When to worry about nothing?
Quite banal (and not life and health threatening) causes may also contribute to the appearance of mucus. For example, this happens when changing the diet. If the menu contains a large number of products such as cottage cheese, bananas or watermelons, then copious mucus is guaranteed. It can be noticed even on toilet paper. The same effect gives the use of oatmeal.
If a person has a respiratory condition, bronchitis or he has a bad cold, then white, brown or yellow mucus may be noticed in the feces. Its presence in the feces is explained very simply: a person swallows mucous secretions from the nose or they end up in the intestine, because they flow down the nasopharynx into the esophagus. It is not dangerous, the mucus will leave the body during bowel movements and will disappear after recovery.
Mucus as a symptom of dangerous pathologies
Hyperproduction of mucus is sometimes not accompanied by other symptoms, and in some cases other manifestations of the disease join it. Consider all the diseases that can provoke the phenomenon of mucus in the feces in an adult. The reasons for its occurrence may be as follows:
- flu, ARVI. At the same time, there are no disturbing phenomena on the part of the digestive organs or stool disorders;
- dysbacteriosis. Violation of the intestinal microflora, contrary to the widespread stereotype, is observed not only in children, but also in adults. It can be associated with long-term use of antibacterial agents, hormonal drugs, or improper nutrition. Bad habits (smoking, drinking) and nervous stress are capable of causing dysbacteriosis. At the same time in the feces constantly found mucus, as well as undigested food fragments. The patient also complains of lack of appetite, headache, skin rash, decreased performance and exposure to colds;
- polyps and hemorrhoids. In these diseases, yellow mucus is found in the feces of an adult, and it completes the act of defecation. Excessive mucus secretion is the way in which the body tries to prevent injury to the mucous membrane. In addition to mucus, bright red blood can appear in the faeces;
- intestinal infections. There is indigestion: profuse and frequent diarrhea;
- irritable bowel syndrome and Crohn's disease. Chronic inflammation makes itself felt not only by the presence of mucus and blood, but also by constant painful sensations in the stomach;
- colitis. Phlegm has the appearance of thick films or tapes;
- enteritis. The stool becomes liquid (watery) with a small volume of mucus, which is tightly mixed with feces;
- tumors. With the development of malignant neoplasms in the colon, blood and mucus are found in the feces of an adult. The characteristic symptoms of cancer are also weakness, rapid unjustified weight loss and severe fatigue.
The admixture of mucus to fecal masses is a sure sign of an organic or functional lesion of the intestine, especially of the colon. White mucus in the feces of an adult (in the form of films or flakes enveloping the feces) indicates a lesion of the distal (lower) part of the intestine. If the mucus is mixed with feces, it "hints" that problems have appeared in the overlying parts of the intestine. However, it may acquire a yellow tint.
Why does mucus appear without feces?
Mucus can be released from the anus, not only during bowel movements. Some diseases can provoke its independent appearance. This happens in such cases:
- infection of climbs;
- long locks;
- intestinal obstruction.
What methods are used in the treatment?
The goal of treatment will not be to clear the stool from mucus, but to defeat the disease that caused this symptom. Gastroenterologist will prescribe therapy. To delay with visiting the doctor should not be in order not to aggravate the problem.
Before going to the hospital, you can increase your fluid intake and go on a diet: eliminate heavy, fatty, spicy and salty foods, canned foods. It is also recommended to give up alcohol, coffee and smoking.
If an intestinal infection is detected, the patient will be prescribed nitrofuran drugs (Furazolidone, Enterofuril). Dysentery and other intestinal infections are treated with antibiotics. For the treatment of viral intestinal lesions are shown Regidron, Viferon. When irritated intestines prescribed diet and antispasmodics. Vermox, Niridazole and Chlorosil are suitable for the treatment of helminthic invasion. If the reason lies in cancer, then specific treatment will be prescribed: chemotherapy, radiation therapy or surgery.
What examination is prescribed to the patient?
The diagnosis will be made on the basis of patient complaints, as well as laboratory and instrumental methods of examination. First, the patient will have to pass an analysis of feces. This will help determine the type of pathogen, as well as identify the strain of the disease and establish its sensitivity to different antibiotics.
In some cases, for accurate diagnostics (without which correct treatment is impossible), an abdominal ultrasound, X-ray, and biopsy of the intestinal section are done. A colonoscopy may be indicated.
If in the feces for a long time (more than 3 days) mucus or blood is found, then hurry to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist. If you are uncomfortable talking about such a symptom, think about the fact that health is the greatest jewel that a person has. Going to a health facility sooner or later will still have to, but the success of treatment after late treatment may be much more modest. In addition, the doctor often has to treat such diseases - you are not a rare case! And so that the intestines do not give you problems, eat properly, observe hygiene, do not overcool and do not be nervous over trifles.