Fluorosis - white spots on the teeth, which can appear for various reasons. This disease can occur as a result of an increased concentration of fluoride in the body, as well as for many other reasons. It is important to know the reasons to choose the right direction of treatment.
Why did the teeth appear white spots?
It is worth noting that white spots can appear on the teeth at any age. Often, such a defect affects children's teeth, but it can happen to any adult. Typically, the spots on the teeth are acquired, but they are congenital.
- The most common cause is fluorosis. There are endemic and occupational fluorosis.Endemic appears in people living in certain places. Namely, in places where the amount of fluoride and its compounds in drinking water exceeds the norm. Professional is found in people who work in enterprises where there is a high content of fluoride compounds in the air. But, of course, occupational fluorosis is the most common, as there are many areas in our country where the air content of fluoride is exceeded. These are Moscow, Leningrad, Tver, Tambov, Ryazan and other regions. Here, every day, people inhale an excess concentration of fluoride.
- White spots on the enamel may appear due to caries. Caries is not only dark. It begins to appear at the stage of a chalk spot, which is a demineralized enamel site, where part of the minerals of the outer layer has been destroyed. Such enamel no longer shines with natural brilliance, so it visually looks like a matte white spot.
- Also, spots on teeth may appear as a result of enamel hypoplasia. This is a violation of the structure of enamel, which occurs on baby teeth, usually on the front.There are several reasons for the appearance of white spots in children, but they are all associated with the prenatal period. Such a problem can be formed on the teeth of children, whose mothers suffered a strong toxicosis during pregnancy, or had a viral illness, as well as when the mother has chronic diseases of the digestive system.
White spots appeared on the teeth: what to do?
- First you need to accurately identify the cause. Only a dentist can make an accurate diagnosis, so do not be lazy and make a visit to the doctor. If it turns out that you have a stain of carious origin, you should immediately treat the tooth before the caries has destroyed it. All this - the task of an experienced specialist.
- To avoid the appearance of fluorosis on the teeth, you should follow some recommendations. Carefully watch what you drink water, clean it. If possible, buy a filter that would reduce the fluoride content in the water. Refuse the use of rinses and toothpastes with fluoride. Very important in this matter and nutrition. Dairy products, fresh vegetables and fruits must be present in your diet. In winter, take a complex of vitamins, fish oil. It does not hurt to be a bit like a tanning bed, in moderation.
- In the early stages of fluorosis, when white spots are formed on the enamel, teeth whitening is carried out with remineralization therapy, in which the enamel is saturated with fluorine, phosphorus and calcium compounds. Elements penetrate deep into the tooth, saturating and strengthening it. The process of remineralization is carried out using application or electrophoresis. For this procedure, apply solutions of sodium fluoride and calcium gluconate, which alternate in shifts.
- Sometimes a dentist may prescribe a drug "Remodent". It consists of a set of elements that are obtained from animal bones and are excellent for the process of remineralization of enamel. Before you begin the procedure, the teeth should be thoroughly cleaned from plaque, dried, and then put cotton swabs dipped in medical solution. After the end of the application can not eat for two hours. To complete a full course, you should apply 15-20 applications. However, keep in mind that fluorosis can be treated only at the initial stages, and if the spots are already deep enough and noticeable, they can only be removed with the help of aesthetic restoration.
- In the event that the spots appeared as a result of hypoplasia, which happens in babies, it is necessary to adhere to a special diet. It should be given to the child foods high in calcium. The main task is to keep the tooth healthy until it changes to the root one, since the permanent ones usually appear healthy. To do this, the doctor may offer to apply a protective coating on the tooth enamel.
If the white stains on the teeth appeared for some other reason, for example due to improper eating, impaired oral hygiene, then you can use such tips:
- Use bleaching pastes, but just in case it is better to buy pastes without fluorine content.
- A good tool for the teeth - whitening strips. But such strips affect only the top layer of enamel, therefore it is rather not a treatment, but a cosmetic measure.
- Try to brush your teeth not twice a day, but after each meal. It is not as difficult as it seems. You just need to always carry a toothbrush and toothpaste in your purse.
- Effective isbrushing teeth with soda. This is a proven old way to clean and whiten teeth. To do this, take 1 tsp. soda, stir with five drops of water and brush your teeth with such a mixture.
- Sometimes rinsing the teeth with a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide, which can be prepared at home, helps in the fight against white spots. You can buy a special solution for rinsing in a pharmacy, but note that it must necessarily be with a whitening effect.
White spots on the teeth, of course, the thing is not very pleasant, but reparable. If time to take action and identify the exact cause, then you can say goodbye to white spots on the teeth forever.