Fitness programs include not only classic movements in front of the mirror, but also a block of exercises with a variety of exercise machines. The smallest and most convenient to use absolutely in any room, right up to the home, is a stepper. However, not every woman understands the principle of his work. On which areas he gives the load, who recommended classes with stepper and is it worth buying this equipment?
Stepper: Key Features
The stepper (from the English "step" - step) is a machine, working with which simulates a step up the stairs. The number of tasks that it allows to solve depends on the functional: the simplest models look like 2 pedals, sometimes not even having handles and equipped only with a screen that counts the number of repeats made; more complex and overall able to boast handrails and a computer that sets a workout program and tracks your condition.
- The stepper belongs to the group of cardiovascular machines, since working with it leads to an increase in the heart rate, thereby affecting the functioning of the cardiovascular system. As a result of exercises with a stepper, the overall endurance of the body increases, the respiratory capacity of the lungs develops, and the immune system is strengthened. And, of course, there is a general weight loss: 45 minutes of work with it is equal to a loss of 350-370 kcal, which is equivalent to more than half of the chocolate bar.
- The stepper is used not only for weight loss, but also for recovery of form and endurance after protracted illness and injuries: it does not require taking a fast pace, as a result of which the load varies according to the state of the body and may even be a simple and very slow pedal. Work with a stepper is recommended to persons suffering from arthritis and arthrosis, as well as to those who need to get away from being overweight, but the bulk of physical activity is prohibited.
- There are no serious contraindications to exercises with a stepper: people suffering from diseases of the musculoskeletal system and joints in particular, the program should be selected by a doctor. And, according to medical experts, all the problems from such training can occur only if the exercise technique is not followed.
- It is difficult for an ordinary person to notice the shortcomings of a stepper, but for professional athletes, he will be completely useless: the degree of stress this simulator gives is hardly close to the average, which allows for better health, but it doesn’t definitely improve athletic performance. In addition, actions with him are extremely monotonous and can easily become boring, and therefore the trainings will be quickly abandoned.
The main advantage of this simulator is its size. If it is deprived of handrails and a computer, it can be stored in any corner of the apartment, and for occupations with it only 50 * 70 cm of free space will be required: taking into account not to accidentally touch closely located objects and not constrain your movements. In addition, the tool is quite inexpensive - simple models can be found for as low as 3 thousand rubles.
What muscles work on stepper and how to conduct a workout correctly?
If you are interested in not only general weight loss, but also the load for certain zones, it is important to understand whether this simulator is right for you.
- Absolutely any stepper primarily uses the legs: more precisely, it is the calf and knees, to a lesser extent - the hips and buttocks. The effect in these areas allows to achieve any model of the simulator.
- What muscles work on a mini stepper? Equipped with nothing, respectively, makes only the legs and buttocks work, but one should not think that it is useless: it is easy to use hands with it, if at the same time as leg exercises to perform shoulder sweeps.
- Steppers equipped with expanders instead of handles, put a strain on the shoulder girdle, chest muscles and back.
- Steppers with a pivoting vertical arm also engage the back, but in addition they help strengthen the direct and oblique abdominal muscles and have a more pronounced effect on the internal muscles of the thigh.
- If you need to get the most out of your calves and buttocks, you should turn to the balancing stepper. As its name implies, such a simulator simultaneously with the total load on the legs makes it necessary to constantly keep the center and balance.
In order to feel all the described benefits, even if you are only interested in the opportunity to improve your health and increase your stamina, you need to know a few rules for a successful training with this equipment.
- Before the start of the session, it is necessary to warm up the muscles and stretch out (the last will need to be done after, but only on the loaded areas).
- If you have not previously worked with a stepper, start with 10-15 minutes, otherwise muscles unusual for such actions will make you forget about it for a week. The total duration of the training depends on the schedule and goals, but it makes no sense to exceed the rate of 60 minutes.
- The pace should be constantly changing: be sure to alternate between slow walking and fast walking, taking an interval of 3-5 minutes.
- Make sure the feet are fully on the pedals. Allow the heels to hang down only at the very end, to stretch the calf.
As for clothes and shoes, at home on a stepper you can do anything and even barefoot. In the hall it is better to take care of the presence of light sneakers.
Classes with stepper for weight loss: reviews of consumers and trainers
How useful are such training actually? Countless comments from women and men who have tried this kind of fitness, both in the gym and at home, are mostly positive. Fitness trainers also tend to believe that this is one of the safest exercise options that anyone can use. However, they emphasize that this simulator does not help build muscle mass, but only eliminates body fat, because it does not develop strength.
- Yana: I worked with an instructor in the gym for some time (I went to Pilates and fitness), then I didn’t have enough time and, according to reviews, chose a mini-stepper in addition to the fitball at home. To keep myself in shape, I have enough of this: I do it 4 times a week for 30-35 minutes, often before bedtime, sometimes I add dumbbells. To lose track of time, turn on the show. In this mode, I lost 3.5 kg per month, my legs began to look much more attractive.
- Catherine: As a person who has absolutely no opportunity to go to a fitness club, I spend training at home. Usually it is 3-4 power and 2-3 cardio per week, each 45-50 min.: After leaving the sport I try to keep fit. In cardio I included work with a stepper (I have a balancing one). The only problem with it is pain in the knees, due to the strain on them. But the calf loads instantly, the hips tightened too very quickly.
Training with a stepper for weight loss will not have high performance if everything is limited to them: the load from this simulator is not too strong. Therefore, if you want a very quick shape change, be sure to supplement the stepper with other activities.