Biochemical blood tests today are the main way to identify the majority of diseases in the early stages, while there is a group of prophylactic checks and a group of highly specialized ones that are recommended when certain disorders are suspected. In particular, a thymol test is assigned to assess the state of the liver. What is it, how to read the result? What can indicate deviations from the norm?
Why spend thymol test?
This analysis is quite narrowly focused, as it first of all allows for a test of the functioning of the liver; in particular, its ability to produce plasma protein. But besides the fact that the thymol test monitors the synthesis function itself, the specialist assesses the ratio of different protein fractions based on the results, which makes it possible not only to identify certain diseases, but also to predict them before the pronounced symptoms appear.
- Blood proteins are divided into several types of albumin and globulins; they take part in the regulation of the acid-base balance of blood, and in the rate of its clotting, and in maintaining its proper volume. In addition, they are transport for some compounds and even drugs: for example, penicillin.
- Thymol test refers to the analyzes that are considered on the sedimentation of proteins in the serum, therefore, belongs to the group of coagulation biochemical studies. In some medical institutions, it may be referred to as "McLagan's sample," by the name of its developer.
- Thymol solution, which gave the main name for this analysis, is added to the blood serum, as a result of which a reaction occurs which, with a positive response, leads to its turbidity. After that, the doctor assesses the degree of turbidity through the photocolometric method, and the result is indicated in units of Maklagan - units.M.
Today, the thymol test is considered to be in some way an obsolete way of testing the synthesizing function of the liver, but is still used in most clinics. Most often, its passage is prescribed when there is suspicion of hepatitis, drug intoxication, lupus erythematosus.
Regulatory indicators and possible deviations
In order for the result to be reliable, the analysis must be taken on an empty stomach, any amount of water is allowed in the morning, but tea or coffee is prohibited. In the case of drug therapy (especially hepatotoxic), it is required to list the list of drugs and the duration of the course to the doctor in order to make allowance for possible distortion due to medication.
- The rate of thymol test in women is less than 5 units M.M., however, it increases physiologically with dysproteinemia, as well as with the use of oral contraceptives. In other cases, most often different from this indicators indicate the presence of certain failures in the liver.
- Doctors say that the increase is not observed during mechanical jaundice: the blood of an adult will give a negative result as long as the inflammatory process in the liver is added to the pathology.
- Physiological abnormalities are also possible with an initially different ratio of alpha and beta globulins. In addition, lipoproteins have an effect. Minor level changes are possible with overweight or underweight.
It is difficult to assess the condition of a person by the thymol test and in the presence of hepatitis, since for type B, the indicators remain within 1-5 units of M.M., which is not considered a deviation, and a positive result is manifested only in hepatitis type A. In addition, it is possible to increase this value after the elimination of the disease, since the regeneration of the liver takes time: in this case, according to the rate of decrease in the units of M. judge the speed of recovery of the body.
What does an increase in thymol blood sample indicate?
Initially, the positive response of the blood serum was interpreted only as a damage to the liver, but today this result is also associated with the functioning of other internal organs: the kidneys, the digestive system. In addition, it may have a relationship substandard education. For this reason, additional tests are often necessary for an accurate diagnosis.
- A deficiency of albumin sometimes provoke renal diseases, as well as high severity burns over a large area (with tissue necrosis) and tight diets.
- The synthesis of proteins can be affected by the genetic factor, as well as the frequent and active consumption of fatty foods.
- A positive result of thymol test occurs with rheumatoid diseases that provoke an increase in the share of globulins, and myeloma.
- Pancreatitis and / or enteritis, accompanied by diarrhea, also violates the ratio of protein fractions.
And yet, the main reason for the increase in thymol test are liver problems: hepatitis of various etiologies (not only viral, but also alcohol, drug, infectious), cirrhosis, fatty atrophy, tumors. But whatever may be a prerequisite for a positive reaction, you should consult a doctor for an accurate diagnosis and treatment.