Molasses is the name known to any chef, because it is used in the preparation of many culinary dishes. This is the name of the sweet and thick syrup, which is obtained by saccharifying corn or potato starch or by boiling the juice of vegetables and berries. Molasses is different - starch, fruit, maltose, black, the latter is made from sugar beets. In the Caucasus, there is a separate type of molasses - musales.
The most common molasses in the production of gingerbread, some types of bread, for example, Borodino, Minsk, Karelian. Because it increases the solubility of sucrose, it is very often used for making jam, jam, jam. Some types of this product are used to make ice cream and frozen desserts.
The syrup is a mixture of glucose dissolved in water, dextrins and oligosaccharides, the content of solids in it reaches almost 80 percent. Net molasses is almost colorless and transparent. She has a feature to increase the solubility of sucrose, by delaying its crystallization, which is the main reason for its widespread use in cooking.
Beet molasses or molasses is a waste of sugar beet production and contains sucrose - about 50 percent, as well as some impurities that make it unsuitable for food use. It is used as a raw material in yeast and distillery plants for the production of yeast and alcohol.
Sugar in the syrup consists of equal parts of fructose and glucose.
What are the benefits and harms of molasses?
From the point of view of medicine, the use of molasses is in the content of some important trace elements in it, for example - phosphorus, calcium, potassium, magnesium, sodium and iron. All of them are necessary in order to replenish the energy reserves of the body. The syrup also contains vitamins of group B.
Its main harm, proven by experts, is the individual intolerance of the product and its components. It is not recommended to abuse it to people with high blood sugar levels. By the way, for those who are allergic to natural honey, it can be replaced with molasses, because their appearance and taste are almost identical.
Cooking patokovu at home
Molasses is a sweet liquid syrup that is often used in the manufacture of confectionery products. Its main difference from sugar is that it does not crystallize, and therefore its goodies remain soft and fresh longer. In addition, pastries, which included molasses, has a special taste.
You can buy a product far from everywhere, because it will be easier to cook it at home.
- Water - 150 ml
- Sugar - 350 g
- Citric acid - 2 g
- Edible soda - 1.5 g
- Boil water in a saucepan.
- Then it is necessary to dissolve the sugar and, stirring constantly, bring to a boil.
- Now you should add citric acid, cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Ready syrup to cool a little.
- Mix the baking soda with a small amount of water, put the mixture in the syrup and mix well again.
- After this, the mass will foam strongly, it must be left to infuse for 15 minutes.
- After the mixture stops foaming, molasses is ready for use.
- If foam remains on the surface, then it must simply be removed with a spoon.
- Store the finished molasses must be in the refrigerator in a glass container.
Molasses is dark
This product has such a name because of its color, because it is made from brown or black sugar. Cooking time is approximately 10 minutes.
- Brown or black sugar - 5 tbsp.
- Water - 1-2 st.l.
- Put sugar in a saucepan, add water and cook everything over low heat, stirring regularly until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Then the liquid must be brought to a boil, boil for 3-5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Then the molasses must be left to cool at room temperature.
See also:What is buttermilk in cooking and what can it be replaced with?
What to replace the molasses?
When baking at home, molasses can be replaced with sugar. At the same time, a certain proportion should be observed: 1 kg of molasses is replaced with 0.75 kg of sugar. This product is also replaced with invert syrup.
Treacle at home is not difficult to prepare, and it can be used in the preparation of various baking. In addition, the product is useful because of the vitamins and trace elements that make up its composition. The main thing - to remember that it should be used moderately!