Some experts call acidophilus the golden mean between milk and sour milk since it took all the best from these products. What is it - acidophilus? Who needs it, what are the contraindications? Can I cook it myself?
The benefits and harm of acidophilus
The representative of the category of fermented milk products, obtained through the fermentation of pasteurized cow's milk - that is acidophilus. In the process, the acidophilus bacillus is necessarily present, which gave the name to the resulting mass, but sometimes it is replaced by other bifidobacteria - for example, kefir fungus. Much less used streptococcus. Pasteurization of milk should occur at a temperature of 33 degrees, and ripening lasts about 10 hours.
- The main difference between acidophilus and pr. Fermented milk drinks, especially kefir, is lower sweetness (despite the fact that sugar can be added to it, like fruit juices), as well as greater viscosity. In terms of density, it looks like sour cream, barely diluted with liquid.
- The key positive property of acidophilus in front of milk is its best absorption by a childish and sensitive organism, especially in case of lactose intolerance, which is fermented. It is noteworthy that with the help of acidophilus sticks not only the already mentioned product is prepared, but also acidophilus milk, acidophilic sour milk and even pasta. They can replace them with similar elements based on other bacteria.
- Like other dairy products, acidophilus restores the intestinal microflora, allows you to get rid of dysbiosis and adjust the functioning of the stomach. The most pronounced abilities of the drink in baby food, because, being added to the curd, yogurt or other fermented milk product, it increases the degree of assimilation of useful trace elements. Of course, with respect to the digestive system, acidophilus manifests itself only when it is regularly consumed: it is enough to include it in your diet 3-4 times a week, so that after 18-20 days you will notice the result.
- Experts call the purification of the skin from acne and other rashes a consequence of debugging the work of the gastrointestinal tract. However, this is not the only effect. Frequent use of acidophilus strengthens the nervous system, reducing the incidence of stress, loss of strength, because it contains vitamins of group B.
- Less pronounced experts call the acidophilus property to strengthen the immune system, prevent the occurrence of pneumonia and meningitis, protect the locomotor system (the drink is extremely useful for the elderly).
The caloric value of 100 g of the drink is only 59 kcal, which makes it an excellent option for diet food. However, you need to follow the fat content - it can increase this figure up to 203 kcal (with fat content of 8%).
Acidophilus itself does not harm the body, and nothing is known about its overdose, but a number of contraindications cannot be ignored.
- It is necessary to carefully use acidophilus to persons with lactose intolerance, it can provoke gastrointestinal disorders, nausea, vomiting. In small quantities, judging by the reviews, acidophilus does not cause such reactions, because, as already mentioned, it works much softer than kefir and milk.
- Like other dairy products, this drink is not recommended for high acidity of gastric juice, peptic ulcer, erosions, gastritis. It is undesirable to use it and patients with acute pancreatitis.
Experts remind you that you can not discount individual intolerance: it can manifest itself not only in the form of dyspeptic disorders, but also redness and a rash on the skin.
How to cook acidophilus at home?
If you want to try to make this product yourself, you will need fresh cow milk of any percentage of fat, as well as acidophilus bacillus or store-ready acidophilus.
- Warm the milk evenly until the temperature reaches 90 degrees, do not allow it to boil - your task is to pasteurize the liquid.
- For 30 minutes It is necessary to maintain the specified temperature, after which remove the container from the stove and cool the milk to 40 degrees.
- Now enter the acidophilus sticks, while for every 200 ml of pasteurized milk you will need 10 g of sticks or ready acidophilus. The fermentation of the future drink - 6 hours.
As soon as a milk clot forms on the surface, the product is ready for use.
Summarizing the above, it can be argued that acidophilus is an excellent substitute for milk and kefir, judging by the feedback from consumers, winning even in taste. His only individual flaw is the meager assortment in the store, but it can be bypassed if you prepare the drink yourself.