What happens if you eat a lot of ascorbic acid

Vitamin C is a very important element that participates in biologically important processes, participates in the work of the immune system and the elimination of free radicals. Vitamin can not be synthesized by the body and is able to reach exclusively from the outside - with food and drugs. But, despite all the benefits of ascorbine, it is possible overdose, which has a number of unpleasant consequences.

Ascorbic acid for children: indications for use

What will happen if you eat a lot of ascorbic acid?

Explicit indications for the use of vitamins is hypovitaminosis, hemorrhagic diathesis. In infectious processes, including colds, it is difficult to do without vitamin C, which stimulates the immune response. Ascorbic acid is necessary for the body for its full functioning, hence, we can draw conclusions about the undoubted benefits of this element.

Ascorbic acid helps to strengthen the walls of small vessels, is involved in the formation of collagen. It is an indispensable component in the formation of local immunity, such as the oral cavity.

The daily dose of vitamin C is 30 - 90 mg, depending on age. For adults, the daily rate ranges from 70 to 100 mg. To replenish it, it is enough to eat an average orange a day. Satisfy the daily need for this vitamin can and an average glass of strawberries.

How to take ascorbic acid correctly?

In order to avoid overdose, it is necessary to strictly follow the recommendations of the doctor for taking this drug. Among the most common causes of overdose are the following:

  • The use of large doses of vitamin in the summer-autumn period;
  • Eating foods rich in vitamin, with the simultaneous use of ascorbic acid preparations;
  • Excess therapeutic doses of the drug during treatment.

What will happen if you eat a lot of ascorbic acid?

Foods that are rich in vitamin C include wild rose, citrus fruits, Bulgarian pepper, broccoli, melon, tomatoes, lettuce leaves, potatoes (but during heat treatment, most of the vitamins die), etc. In addition, pharmacies can be used for tableting ascorbic acid, which are so loved by children.

Recently, ascorbine is used to treat colds. It is believed that a loading dose of vitamin in the early stages of the disease will help get rid of clinical symptoms. It is not in vain that this element is included in most “quick-acting” drugs for colds and flu. But using higher doses can provoke an overdose of vitamin.

What happens if you eat a lot of ascorbic acid with or without glucose?

Side effects can be provoked when taking small doses, but clear signs of overdose occur when taking more than 90 mg per day.

Symptoms of overdose are dizziness, nausea, photophobia may occur. Quite often suffers from the digestive tract - digestive upset, the appearance of heartburn. In addition, performance decreases, fatigue occurs and sleep is disturbed.

An overdose of vitamin C can cause allergic reactions, which are manifested by itching and rashes on the skin. In women, menstrual irregularities can be registered. An overdose of vitamin C is very dangerous for pregnant women with diabetes, etc.

Large doses of vitamin C in the body reduces the absorption of vitamin B, copper, selenium. The simultaneous intake of vitamin C and aspirin irritates the gastric mucosa, which can later provoke the development of gastritis and its complications.

Prevention of overdose of ascorbic acid

What will happen if you eat a lot of ascorbic acid?

  • Using pharmaceutical means of vitamin C must strictly adhere to the rules of admission, especially in children and pregnant women. Although this element is water soluble, that is, its excess may be excreted in the urine, symptoms of overdose will still occur.
  • As a preventive measure, vitamin C can be used in late autumn, in winter and in springtime, when its intake with food is difficult. In the summertime, special preference should be given to natural sources of replenishment - fresh vegetables, fruits and berries.
  • In the event of an overdose, you must immediately stop taking vitamin C, and in tablet form, and to exclude products with a high content of this element. Drinking plenty of symptoms will help to get rid of the symptoms, and this should be clean drinking water, neither compotes, nor juices. Get rid of the symptoms will help and a hearty meal, consisting of high-calorie foods.

Vitamin C is undoubtedly an important and useful element for people of any age. But it is important to remember that only the right dose and compliance with safety rules will help him to go ahead: strengthen the immune system and make the body more resistant to the effects of pathogenic environmental factors.

Add a comment