There are some preconceptions about low-cost herbal remedies today, when official medicine offers drugs one to the other, and if there is a low cost, then there are no side effects, or no result. It is the same with Mukaltin - while they can replace a number of cough pills, considerably saving money, the search for something new continues. Or maybe you should look at the old? How to drink "Mukaltin" when coughing, and in what case should it be used?
What cough to take "Mukaltin"?
To understand what cough, Mukaltin can help, and in which case it hurts, you need to understand the composition and principle of the drug. Especially since there is nothing complicated.
- Under the name "Mukaltin" understand the natural extract of medicinal Althea, combined with tartaric acid, calcium stearate and sodium bicarbonate. This composition allows the drug to have a minimum number of side effects and contraindications.
- In the Althea extract, polysaccharides are worthy of attention, as well as plant mucus, which softens the inflamed throat mucus, astringent pectic substances and asparagine. Sodium bicarbonate has the ability to dilute sputum and stimulate its release from the bronchi. Such a composition leads to the fact that "Mukaltin" works not only as an expectorant, but also as reducing inflammation and irritation, soothing and triggering the process of regeneration of the mucous membrane.
All this suggests that the drug should be used only with a "dry", "fighting" cough, not too strong intensity, since it itself increases the frequency and profusion of expectoration. The use of tablets or syrup "Mukaltin" with an active cough will complicate this process and may contribute to the emergence of a gag reflex. For the same reason, "Mukaltin" is not used at bedtime.
Among the indications for use of any form of the drug are:
- bronchial asthma
- pneumonia, pneumoconiosis
- classical and obstructive bronchitis, bronchoadenitis
- tracheitis and tracheobronchitis
- pulmonary emphysema, pulmonary tuberculosis
The main reason for the long-term popularity of this drug before the advent of more expensive drugs was its high efficacy and getting results after just a few tricks, as well as the absence of serious side effects. Cases of overdose "Mukaltin" were not detected either in children or in adults, and all the negative reactions of the body are usually caused only by hypersensitivity to its components or the sensitivity of the digestive system. Among them:
- nausea and vomiting, abnormal stool (on either side), dyspepsia, bloating.
Experts do not put restrictions on the use of tablets or syrup, excluding the impossibility of its use by persons suffering from diabetes, as well as the exacerbation of peptic ulcer and gastritis.
- "Mukaltin" is allowed for use in pregnant women in any trimester, nursing mothers, young children from the age of 1 year. Children under one year of the drug can be prescribed only in the absence of analogues and used under the supervision of the attending physician. The dosage is set individually.
It is important to remember that "Mukaltin" is undesirable to combine with drugs that suppress cough, because they will prevent the stimulation of sputum, which will aggravate the patient's condition.
Features of the drug
The frequency of administration and dosage depends on both the age of the patient and the specific problem that needs to be solved.
- Children from 1 year "Mukaltin" give 1/2 tablet for sucking or grinding and dissolving in 2-3 tablespoons. warm water to get a solution. If possible, babies should be given syrup to ensure maximum absorption. The course duration is 3 days, the extension is carried out in consultation with the attending physician.
- Children from 3 years old "Mukaltin" can be given a single pill, also requiring it to dissolve under the tongue. In the acute period, it is allowed to increase the dosage to 2 tablets at a time. The frequency of taking in children should not exceed 3 times per day, while between doses should be 6 hours, and within 1-1.5 hours after the pill is not allowed to eat and eat. If necessary, you can dissolve the tablet in warm water (up to 200 ml), add a little sugar, if the child refuses because of the classic taste of the drug.
- In adults and children over 12 years of age, a single dosage of Mukaltin is 1-2 tablets, depending on the disease. It is important to remember that when an acute cough provoked by an ARVI or ARD, the drug is allowed to drink only 4-5 days after the onset of coughing attacks, because only then the sputum will accumulate, and it makes sense to start forcing it out of the lungs. Otherwise, the cough will only increase, but it will not lead to anything except irritation of the back wall of the larynx.
- With bronchitis and pneumonia, Mukaltin usually acts as an additional agent, the dosage of which is calculated individually. With the flu - they drink it from the day of "softening" cough, when he not only "tears" his throat, but decreases to the bronchi, becoming deeper.
- In adults, the frequency of taking Mukaltin can be 4 times a day, the drug is always drunk before a meal, the treatment lasts about 14-15 days, but if necessary, it can be extended to 60 days.
- With regard to the use of "Mukaltina" during pregnancy, the doctors do not put it under the ban, but warned that it is unacceptable to use the drug if the first trimester was complicated by the threat of miscarriage, as well as strong toxemia. The maximum daily rate of "Mukaltin" for a pregnant woman is 4 tablets divided into 2 doses (morning and evening).
- An important moment concerns small children up to a year: despite the fact that the instruction is banned, occasionally young mothers are interested in - is it possible to give the baby “Mukaltin” to provoke sputum discharge? Basically, the question is caused by the fact that doctors often prescribe antibiotics, even for newborns, to get rid of the virus, but not a stronger organism, this is too dangerous. In this situation, the use of "Mukaltin" without a doctor's prescription is allowed, but the dosage should not exceed 1 / 4-1 / 3 tablets, diluted in warm water or milk. You should first make sure that the cough is caused by a virus, and not by external conditions: for example, dryness of the air in the room.
Some young parents, anxious about the condition of the child, want to get rid of cough and accumulated sputum as quickly as possible, so Altea syrup is added to the Mukaltin reception. Is there any reason? Due to the fact that these drugs are practically similar in composition and have identical active ingredients, it is not necessary to use together with Mukaltin and Altey for dry cough. Moreover, for a small child, this combination may become undesirable and contribute to the occurrence of side effects from an overdose of the drug.
"Mukaltin" and Althea syrup: what is more effective?
Due to the fact that the composition of the drugs as similar as possible, often the question arises, what means is better to buy to get rid of dry cough. Both products have earned the highest points from consumers and doctors, so making a choice is not easy.
- Experts recommend for young children to use Althea syrup, due to the greater convenience of its use in a child. For adults, the best choice would be the Mukaltin tablets, which act much faster if they are consumed sublingually, which the baby will not do - the chances are high that he will simply choke, forgetting about the tablet.
Equivalence of funds is proved by a lot of positive feedback from young mothers.
- Inna: Daughter (1.5 g) I treat only Mukaltin. When the flu happened, the doctor wrote us a long list of antibiotics, completely ignoring the fact that my girl could not stand them. In the end, I obeyed my friend, bought Mukaltin tablets. Dissolved 1/4 tablet (sensitive child) in warm water (50 ml), given overnight. For 3 days of cough, we almost completely got rid of.
- Kira: I usually give Althea syrup to the baby inside, because it takes a long time to dissolve the tablet every time, and I don’t like the taste of the baby. I use Mukaltin for inhalation: I dissolve a pill in 200 ml of boiling water, cover my son with a towel along with this cup, and he breathes steam for 10-15 minutes. Tickling is already taking place on the 2nd day, and completely coughing even with the flu has been driven off in a week.
- Yuliya: The doctor prescribed the drug when I was diagnosed with bronchitis, and it became clear that there would be a little more pneumonia. Cough tormented so much that I slept in fragments. I started to drink Mukaltin 3 times a day, took a pill under my tongue and did not eat anything for 2 hours to leave the active ingredients on the mucous membrane. At first she drank for the night, and she lost her sleep altogether - she coughed wildly. When it all happened the next night, she called the doctor - it turned out that it was better not to drink it before going to bed. It is interesting that at the same time, the manufacturer advises taking it in the evening too: it is necessary that the correct time is then indicated - at least 2-3 hours before bedtime, otherwise an abundant cough will interfere with this. In general, I managed to cough, but I messed up the inaccuracies in the instructions for a couple of nights.
Doctors are reminded that Mukaltin is not a cough medicine, as some consumers used to call it. Under the same label it offers pharmacists in pharmacies. This drug is focused on sputum pasture, as a result of which the cough itself may even increase, which is not a sign of the lack of effectiveness of the drug. If, however, to take it for the main purpose, a negative opinion about him will not develop.