It is quite difficult for a person to perform his usual physical work and even move if his legs are swollen. The cause of this condition in men can be far from harmless. Puffiness of the lower limbs often appears in diseases of vital organs and systems. Faced with this phenomenon, urgently take the necessary measures.
Among the representatives of the stronger sex, leg swelling is less common than among women, but this symptom cannot be considered an exclusively female problem. Since men rarely wear uncomfortable shoes, an increase in the size of the feet, ankles and calves may indicate not only excessive load, but also serious disturbances in the body that require medical intervention.
What are the legs protesting against?
Lower extremity swelling may occur due to lifestyle errors, side effects of certain medications, and allergies. The most common causes of swelling of the legs in men are:
- walking or running for a long time;
- long standing or sitting, especially with his legs crossed, which is fraught with constricted veins;
- taking drugs to increase potency, antidepressants, beta-blockers and hormonal drugs;
- abundance of salt and protein in products for daily use;
- frequent treatment with droppers (the kidneys do not cope with the processing of the incoming fluid);
- allergic reaction, most often to insect bites;
- lack of protein in the body;
- passion for alcoholic beverages;
- excess weight.
If after elimination of these factors the problem does not disappear, then the answer to the question of why the legs of the man become swollen lies in the development of certain diseases. An experienced doctor should explain what to do, because such a swelling may be a symptom:
- thrombosis (one limb grows in size);
- varicose veins;
- infectious or traumatic thrombophlebitis;
- pathologies of the heart (swelling in heart failure starts from the knee and progresses along the thigh, the skin turns blue);
- damage to the ankle or foot (the condition of the soft tissue worsens around the site of injury or fracture);
- diseases of the organs of excretion;
- abnormal liver function;
- lung disease (accompanied by shortness of breath and cough);
- malfunctions of the endocrine system (pits appear on the legs, hands and tongue also swell).
To make sure that one of these ailments is present, the doctor will refer the patient to:
- laboratory tests of blood and urine (to determine the inflammatory process and test kidney function);
- Ultrasound examination of the lower extremities (for suspected thrombosis or chronic venous insufficiency);
- echocardiogram (to monitor the work of the heart);
- computed tomography of the pelvic organs (after injury);
- lymphoscintigraphy (allows you to trace the lymphatic drainage in the swollen area of the body).
How to return the lost ease?
After identifying the reason why a man has swollen legs, he should begin a course of treatment for the underlying disease. But, of course, I don’t want to continue living with the heavily limbs until the end of therapy. To remove the swelling of the ankles, feet and calves, experts prescribe:
- nonsteroid creams or ointments - Diclofenac, Indomethacin, Nimesulide.
- diuretics (for disorders of water metabolism and the accumulation of fluid in the body) - Furosemide, Lasix, Diakarb.
- physical therapy and massage to develop muscles to improve the flow of fluid from soft tissues.
At home, feet can be massaged as follows:
- With pressure, knead the limbs from top to bottom and in the opposite direction.
- Repeat steps 10 minutes, 3 times a day.
- After the puffiness has passed, for prophylaxis, do a massage for 5-6 minutes once a day.
Also, doctors advise:
- wear compression socks, stockings and stockings;
- use orthopedic insoles.
The behavior of the patient in everyday life should change - you need:
- consume no more than 1.5 mg of salt per day;
- eat more protein foods;
- drink at least 1.5 liters and not more than 2 liters of water;
- avoid excessive physical exertion.
Infusions, baths and lotions prepared on the basis of natural remedies sometimes help to get rid of puffiness no worse than synthetic drugs - especially if we are talking about swelling of the soft tissues of the legs due to reasons not related to diseases.
- Connect 30-35 g of mint and birch leaves, add the same amount of chamomile flowers.
- 100 g of herbal mixture pour 1 liter of boiling water.
- After one hour, dilute the liquid with water to 38 ° C.
- Dip your feet in this infusion for 10 minutes.
- In 1 liter of water, place 100 g of juniper berries, 100 g of sea salt, 1 tbsp. l dry mustard powder and 2 tsp. baking soda.
- Stir the solution and add some hot water.
- Hold your feet in the treatment fluid for 15 minutes before bedtime.
- Make a decoction of bearberry, knotweed, nettle, horsetail and hawthorn.
- The tool can be prepared from one or more herbs.
- Place the hot broth in the bowl.
- Fill another bowl with cold water and sea salt.
- Keep feet for 2-3 minutes in each bath alternately.
- Put 100 g of flax seeds in a one-liter container filled with hot water.
- Add juice of 1 lemon and 2-3 tbsp. l lime or buckwheat honey.
- Within 2 months, drink at ½ tbsp. at lunch time.
Birch bud compress
- Wrap birch buds in cheesecloth.
- Moisten the bundle with a hot decoction of chamomile.
- Apply the compress to the swollen area and secure with an elastic bandage.
- To warm your sore feet, wear warm pants and socks.
- Remove the gauze when you feel it cool.
- Grate 2-3 raw potatoes on a fine grater.
- Wrap the resulting mass in cheesecloth.
- Keep the compress on the swelling for an hour.
In addition, traditional healers are convinced that excess water and toxins will quickly leave the body, if you include in the menu:
- watermelon, melon and cucumber juice;
- black or green tea with milk;
- mint and lemon balm teas;
- dogrose decoction;
- water with lemon juice;
- cranberries, viburnum, radish, carrots.
Swelling of the legs is easy to hide under the pants, so many men are not in a hurry to deal with the problem, considering it to be purely aesthetic. No need to put up with the inconvenience: "dimensions" often increase due to a serious violation of the rules of a healthy lifestyle or the development of dangerous diseases. Read the recommendations of the doctors, start taking care of yourself, think of the natural treasures - and the unpleasant symptom will disappear without a trace.