It often happens that a person who leads a healthy lifestyle suddenly discovers unpleasant symptoms in himself: his stomach hurts, his heart is naughty ... And this is despite the fact that he does not drink, does not smoke, does sports. The vagus nerve can be a cause for concern. Where he is, what it is, how it functions and what kind of problems with well-being can create - let's try to figure it out!
What is the vagus nerve?
Medicine has 12 pairs of nerves emanating from the base of the skull. Each of them has its own functions and transmits signals to certain organs. The tenth pair was called the vagus nerve, because it signals from the brain are transmitted to almost all vital organs. The vagus nerve begins at the base of the skull and passes through the neck, chest and peritoneum.
First of all, the vagus nerve regulates the functions of:
- stomach work;
If the work of the vagus nerve is impaired, even cardiac arrest and death are possible.
Causes of disease
In diseases of the vagus nerve, symptoms and treatment are interrelated. And the main reasons for the development of pathology can be:
- injuries that put pressure on the nerve;
- surgeries during which nerve damage or pinching occurred;
- diabetes mellitus (elevated sugar levels negatively affect the functioning of the vagus nerve);
- viral diseases of the respiratory system;
- chronic diseases (HIV infection, Parkinson's disease);
Depending on which department of the vagus nerve is affected, the doctor determines the symptoms and treatment for each case:
- headache (severe headaches and discomfort in the ear);
- the cervical region (the function of swallowing due to paralysis of the pharyngeal muscles, change of voice, suffocation is disturbed);
- Thoracic region (dysfunction of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, which manifests itself in difficulty breathing, feeling of lack of air, chest pain; weakening of the cough reflex and, as a result, pneumonia);
- abdominal section (indigestion and intestinal pain, abdominal pain, gag reflex).
If the vagus nerve is damaged, the cardiovascular system suffers most. This is expressed in the following states:
- pulse decreases;
- pressure drops;
- shortness of breath appears;
- felt pain in the heart;
- lack of air is felt;
- It seems as if "there is a lump in the throat."
With the defeat of the nucleus of the vagus nerve, the tone of the autonomic system increases or decreases. Vegetative disorders make themselves known as lethargy of the body, apathy in human behavior with increased tone and irritability, short temper - with reduced.
Learn also about the causes of newborns and why there is a hiccup all day.
Diseases of the vagus nerve
When the vagus nerve is pinched, the following groups of diseases develop:
- angioneuroses (diseases of the vegetative system, in which the work of the vessels is disturbed);
- neurasthenia (disorder of the vegetative system, in which anxiety increases and exhaustion occurs).
Among these groups, the most common:
- migraine headaches, episodic in nature;
- Meniere's disease - the parts of the periphery of the nervous system and brain are affected, as a result of which you feel dizzy, hearing is reduced;
- Raynaud's disease - the nervous system is affected, as a result of which the limbs and parts of the face turn pale and become cold, emotional irritability appears.
The vagus nerve is almost not treatable. In this regard, you should always be careful and consult a doctor at the first symptoms of a nervous disorder.
Traditional medicine offers the following remedies as a treatment:
- hormonal drugs (prednisone);
- multivitamin complexes with B vitamins;
- anticholinesterase drugs (drugs that inhibit the activity of the enzyme, which transmits a signal of excitation to the nervous system);
- antihistamine drugs.
In severe cases, can be applied:
- surgical methods;
- plasma exchange (blood purification at the cellular level).
Traditional treatment should take place exclusively under the supervision of a physician. With improper or late treatment, death can occur due to the cessation of work of certain organs of the body.
With lesions of the vagus nerve, traditional medicine is ineffective. It only allows to alleviate some of the symptoms, but in no case cures the disease. As a prevention and to enhance the effect of the methods of traditional medicine, you can offer some infusions of herbs.
- 1 tbsp. l dried herbs thyme pour 50 ml boiling water and infuse for 15 minutes. Drink during the day, breaking the dose into 4 doses.
- Mint mixed with melissa, pour a glass of boiling water and leave for 20 minutes. Drink during the day for 2 doses.
- 1 tbsp. l clover pour 200 ml boiling water and leave for 20 minutes. Strain and drink in 2 doses. Herbs and fruits can be infused to treat the vagus nerve:
- 50 g thyme pour 1.5 liters of white wine. Insist for a week in a dark place. Consume 10 drops, adding them to milk 4 times a day.
- 50 g of belladonna root pour 0.5 liters of vodka. Insist 7 days and take 15 drops 3 times a day.
It should be remembered that it is almost impossible to cure the vagus nerve. You need to be attentive to the health of the nervous system. If a disease of the vagus nerve is suspected, only a doctor will determine the symptoms and treatment. Self-medication and late appeals for medical care can be fatal.