In my life, almost everyone was confronted with a state of vertigo. In itself, this phenomenon is not a sign of illness, but this does not mean that we should neglect the visit to the doctor. According to statistics, every 2nd person refers to doctors with this symptom.
The scientific name of this state is vertigo. There are about 80 reasons for its occurrence. Establishing an accurate diagnosis is almost impossible if a specialist is based only on this symptom. When getting up, the head may become dizzy in an absolutely healthy person, but at the same time such a manifestation may be a precursor of a serious disruption of the body’s work - orthostatic hypotension (collapse). At the same time, the patient feels unwell when there is a sharp change in body position, or, vice versa: while staying upright for a long time. At the very beginning of the attack, the patient begins to feel dizzy, and then darkens in the eyes. If during this time the person does not sit down, thereby not ensuring the flow of blood to the brain, then he may lose consciousness.
Causes of dizziness on rising
There are bouts of dizziness when rising for various reasons. We can distinguish the following:
- disruption of the normal functioning of the vestibular apparatus;
- sudden drops in blood pressure;
- finding the body for a long time in a lying or sitting position;
- nervosa, depression, stress.
The brighter the symptoms, the more reason for going to the doctor is.
With reduced pressure, a change in the position of the body causes outflow of blood from the head and oxygen starvation of the brain. This symptom applies to patients who have problems with the cardiovascular system. It can also be observed in adolescents during puberty. Often, in this way, the body reacts to a lack of fluid, dehydration, which can occur after a large loss of blood, the use of diuretic drugs, as well as during prolonged bed rest.
Vertigo can also be a physiological response of the body to taking certain drugs, for example: antidepressants or drugs that lower blood pressure. If, due to the medication prescribed by the attending physician, the patient is dizzy when changing posture or turning the head, you should consult with a specialist.-
Most often, those who experience vertigo are prone to heart and vascular disease. In addition, this kind of dizziness may indicate the presence of diabetes, anemia, atherosclerosis, pheochromocytoma, and more. other diseases.
We also read:
- Causes of dizziness in women
- Signs of dehydration in a child and causes
- It gets dark in the eyes when I get up sharply: why does such a symptom manifest and what to do?
Dizziness when rising from bed: treatment
The treatment of this condition is most often symptomatic. Perhaps the use of etiological therapy, but only with a limited range of diseases, for example: temporal epilepsy, basilar migraine, bacterial labyrinthitis, stem stroke, basilar migraine, cholesteatoma and other tumors that affect the vestibular apparatus.
- For the treatment of vertigo, vestibuleolytic drugs are used that affect the level of the vestibular receptors or the central vestibular structures. In the histaminergic system there is a significant role for the functioning of the vestibular structures. For this reason, antihistamines are used to treat dizziness when standing up, since promethazine, meclozine, tranquilizers - lorazepam, diazepam, to reduce anxiety. Vomiting and nausea will help eliminate metolopramide. Recently, such tablets as betahistine hydrochloride have been most commonly used for the treatment of vertigo, they have a similar structure to histamine, and also increase the release of neurotransmitters from the nerve endings. The positive effect of this drug is also observed in Meniere's disease. Tablets reduce the frequency of attacks of vertigo and eliminate imbalance.
- But it is worth knowing that the treatment will primarily depend on the causes of the condition. Sometimes only one procedure can help, which is carried out by an experienced specialist. But no matter what the vertigo is caused, there is no need to be afraid of serious consequences, everything is not so bad. It may be due to a slight defect that will be easily removable. In some cases, this state ceases to torment a person after completing a course of gymnastic exercises for the vestibular apparatus, thereby the patient learns to coordinate his movements. When in a state of neglect, the treatment will be serious, consisting in constant treatment under the supervision of a physician.
Anyway, to panic if you experience dizziness when getting up is not worth it. The best way out in this situation is to visit a qualified specialist. He will be able to identify the cause of this condition and prescribe proper treatment.