Solar root - carrots - is present on the dining table in almost every kitchen: from Eastern to European. It can act as a basis for the dish, as well as a light taste note, the final touch. It is used in both fresh and thermally processed form, combined with meat, seafood, fruits and vegetables, added to pastries. But what's more in carrots - good or bad? How to cook, serve and use it?
The benefits and harm of carrots for the body
Even children know that carrot is the leader in vitamin A, known as retinol. Its main function is antioxidant. In addition, it is he who helps prevent the occurrence of "night blindness", maintain skin, hair and nails in tone, improve the functioning of the reproductive system, promote the synthesis of new cells. To a lesser extent, it affects the immune system, protein synthesis, cardiovascular system. An excess of retinol leads to disruption of the menstrual cycle in women.
- The share of retinol in carrots is 2000 mcg or 2 mg per 100 g of the product, while the daily rate for women over 14 years is 700 mcg, and for children - 400-600 mcg. Thus, eating only 100 g of carrots, you can cover the need for retinol almost 3 times. However, there are several nuances associated with its assimilation, which will be discussed later.
- The calorie content of fresh peeled carrots is 39 kcal per 100 g, of which 1.3 g is given to proteins, 0.1 g to fats, and 6.9 g to carbohydrates.
- Carrots are a good natural antiseptic, but its antiparasitic effect is much more noticeable and is most pronounced when using juice. This root has a positive effect on the digestive tract, especially the intestines, due to the high content of vegetable water in its composition (88 g out of 100 g). The amount of dietary fiber is minimal (2.4 g per 100 g of product), as a result of which carrots are not heavy vegetables, but they cleanse the digestive tract well and gently, especially in combination with beets, reducing the likelihood of constipation.
- Separately, it is worth to highlight the salts of potassium, which have a positive effect on the work of the heart, vitamins of group B, folic and nicotinic acids, necessary for the nervous system, as well as pectins and glucose. With the active use of carrots gives a choleretic effect, relieves painful spasm, stops the inflammatory process, increases stamina and concentration, becoming a good source of energy, especially in the period of beriberi and loss of strength.
It is important to affect the properties of the processed, but remaining fresh root vegetables. In particular, carrot juice: the benefits or harm in it more? And how much in its qualities does it differ from a single piece of vegetable?
- Since ancient times, carrot juice has been used as an effective and fast-acting agent for cleansing the liver and kidneys, as a result of which stones are prevented, accumulated sand is removed, it promotes the resorption of bile clots, preventing duct blockage.
- Despite the fact that the proportion of iron in this root is not as high as in other products, it contains ascorbic acid, which improves the absorption of iron from any sources, regardless of whether they are used together or at different times. For this reason, carrot juice has long been part of the drink, curing anemia. For anemia, they drink a mixture of radish, beet and carrot juice, stewed in the oven for 3-4 hours, in tablespoons, for 90-100 days. Single carrot juice works as a preventive measure for this ailment.
- It should also be noted that the juice squeezed out of this vegetable helps with stomatitis (rinsing of the mouth is performed), and also is able to normalize the metabolism, remove toxins, as a result of which it is often present in methods of cleansing the body. A variety of detox diets for 1-2 are created mainly on the juice of carrots and celery, as the most competently working in a bundle of products.
- Carrot juice benefits not only for internal use, but also for external use. They can be treated for frostbite and major skin lesions, for which they use both pure juice and mixed with a portion of the wiped root crop.
As for the direct harm from carrots (juice, fresh or thermally processed product), it is observed only in the case of individual intolerance and abuse of vegetables - a daily excess of 1 kg. In children, the rate is reduced by half.
Heat treatment of carrots - is it useful?
Despite the fact that there is a perception of the dangers of heat treatment for most products, in the case of carrots there is an exception. A boiled vegetable contains 3 times more antioxidants than fresh, as American scientists have proven. However, for maximum benefit from boiled carrots, it is necessary to understand how it should be prepared: first of all, it is advisable not to add a lot of spices and seasonings, and also not to digest the product - no longer than 20 minutes. after boiling water. The longer it will be in the pot, the less valuable substances in it will remain. If you are cooking in a pressure cooker, then 5-6 minutes. - limit.
- The calorie content of boiled carrots with a small amount of salt is 35 kcal per 100 g, as a result of which the product is ideal for dietary nutrition. The proportion of protein in it is 0.76 g, fat - 0.18 g, carbohydrates - 5.22 g. However, the glycemic index of boiled carrots is significantly increased compared to raw ones - up to 85 units, which is important for people with diabetes.
- Pasted carrots are crushed root vegetable oil which is passed through a very hot (120 degrees) oil, which after softening turns into a homogeneous mass and becomes an additive for winter preparations or any side dish. Harm in a similar heat treatment is much less than in conventional roasting, since carrots are not so actively saturated with burning fat (ie, carcinogens), retains the bulk of their beneficial properties, essential oils remain with it. The caloric value per 100 g is 128 kcal, the proportion of fat increases to 10.2 g. Pasted carrots also take place in the diet, because it is taken in minimal quantities as an additive.
As for the directly fried product, it is certainly difficult to speak about its benefits. But bake, even with fats (sour cream, butter) is possible.
- Interestingly, grated carrots have a good effect on the state of the lower respiratory tract, therefore, it is often found in traditional medicine recipes devoted to the treatment of bronchitis, pneumonia, and loss of voice. However, it should not be a fresh vegetable, but boiled in milk, and in the presence of cold symptoms honey is added to it. It is important to remember that in such a situation, carrot gruel must subsequently be mixed with milk in equal proportions.
How to eat carrots?
Speaking of dishes based on this root, first of all, attention should be paid to a variety of salads. Since vitamin A, being fat soluble, needs an extra fat component, it is not completely absorbed in its pure form. Therefore, to mix carrots with dressing or third-party vegetables is not only possible, but necessary. However, what will allow to increase its positive qualities, and what will turn an initially good product into an empty one?
- Butter, sour cream are the 2 main representatives of the "right" fats, which allow the best way to transport vitamin A from carrots to the body and deliver it exactly to the areas that need it. If carrots rubbed and mixed with butter or sour cream do not warm up more than to room temperature, their fats will not enter the carcinogenic stage. The same applies to carrot juice, in which it is necessary to pour vegetable oil: 200 ml of liquid for the complete absorption of retinol, just 1 tbsp is enough.
The benefits and harms of carrots in Korean are still subject to active debate. In addition to the vegetable itself, there is garlic, vinegar, a mixture of red and black pepper, salt and coriander, as well as a small amount of sugar if necessary. Fills the entire mixture with boiling vegetable oil. This taste is typical of Korean cuisine, although the dish itself became Russian long ago, since initially Peking cabbage was present in its recipe, but in the USSR it was replaced by carrots.
In general, the salad is quite spicy, which contributes to the activation of appetite and the digestive process itself due to the release of gastric juice. Positively the dish affects the state of the vascular walls, immunity; in addition, all the beneficial properties of raw carrots are preserved. Calorie portions per 100 g varies from 130 to 150 kcal.
- The acuteness of lettuce has a downside - in those with sensitive mucous membranes of the digestive tract, it can cause heartburn, and in the presence of gastritis, erosions, peptic ulcer disease - exacerbate them.
Despite the fact that, regardless of the method of preparation, the use of carrots for the body exceeds the possible harm, so as not to cause negative reactions, you should know the daily rate. Fresh product is recommended to use up to 150 g, in thermally processed - up to 200 g. At the same time, it is desirable that it is not included in the daily diet - it is enough to prepare dishes based on it 1-2 times a week. Otherwise, it increases the likelihood of provoking yellowing of the skin.
- Interestingly, frequent visitors to the tanning salon are recommended to drink 200 ml of carrot juice after each session. However, even in such a situation, it is assumed that the product is consumed after 1-2 days, but not daily.
Carrots - one of the most useful and safe vegetables, which is worthy of the frequent appearance on the dining table. With proper preparation, it will not harm the body and can be used even in the diet of young children. Do not exceed the daily rate, and you will not have to worry about the negative consequences.