Exotic fruits and berries have long been available to almost everyone, and very often they are a source of valuable nutrients and vitamins. Of course, nothing compares to the sweet heart of apples and plums grown in their own gardens. But trying something new is always a pleasure, and sometimes it is useful.
Jujube (unabi) is an exotic berry with high nutritional value. Like any food product, Unabi has beneficial properties and contraindications. This marvelous berry comes from Southeast Asia, where the shrub was originally cultivated. Subsequently, the fruits became widespread - both as part of culinary dishes and in medicine. However, not only in the subtropics, but also in a temperate climate, it is quite realistic to grow it. Some gardeners practice planting and get good results. Buy Chinese date can be in supermarkets, in the markets, ordered online. Here it is most often sold in dried form.
Useful properties of unabi
Unabi, a Chinese date, is useful for the prevention of avitaminosis, effective in the treatment of certain diseases. The nutritional value of this product is very high and is represented by a large number of valuable substances: vitamins (group B), mineral substances (magnesium, calcium, potassium, phosphorus), pectin, useful carbohydrates and several types of amino acids. And all this with a small caloric content - about 80 kcal per 100 g.
Studies have shown that regular consumption of this product in food (in fresh, dried or dried form):
- helps to restore strength and immunity after infectious diseases, colds;
- improves the gastrointestinal tract, especially the stomach;
- helps to normalize the work of the kidneys, bladder;
- reduces the inflammatory processes in the oral cavity (for example, during stomatitis);
- reduces the manifestations of toxicosis during pregnancy, and during the feeding period it improves the quality and quantity of milk;
- normalizes blood pressure;
- lowers blood cholesterol.
The most popular and effective recipes based on unabi:
- decoction of bark and leaves (for weight loss, normalization of the gastrointestinal tract): 10 g of crushed raw material is poured with boiling water (1 cup), boiled for 30 minutes, filtered and another 1 cup of boiled water is added. Drink a decoction should be 30 minutes before meals 3 times a day. The course of treatment is 2 weeks;
- decoction of fruits (treatment of hypertension, anemia, cholesterol reduction): 10 fruits are poured with a liter of boiling water, boiled for 30 minutes over low heat, and the mixture is cooled. You can use at any time. This is a great natural source of vitamins;
- for external use (treatment of acne, wounds and other skin lesions) use the ointment of zizifus leaves: in a crushed form, they are poured with olive oil (in a ratio of 1: 5), insisting 10 days.
Thanks to the antibacterial and cleansing properties, Chinese date is included in some medicines, and the leaves and roots are components of many cosmetic ointments.
Who doesn't need a Chinese date?
As with most products, in addition to the beneficial properties of zizifus, there are contraindications to its use. It can harm in the following cases:
- with hypotension. The use of fresh or dried fruits, as well as decoctions based on them helps to reduce the pressure;
- it is better not to deal with pregnant women with dishes and folk recipes, including leaves and roots of shrubs (including for outdoor use): they can become a powerful allergen. But you can eat the fruits themselves;
- individual intolerance (manifests very rarely in the form of allergic reactions).
Jujube in cooking
Buying a Unabi, it is important to study not only the beneficial properties, but also contraindications, even if they are not to be treated, but just to enjoy it. If there are no restrictions, Chinese date can be included in the diet as a separate dish (fresh, dried, dried), and used as part of different combinations. Most often, it is used in the preparation of jams and other sweet preservation.
You can make very tasty jam from zizibus fruits, which retain all their beneficial properties and vitamins in the process of preparation. To do this, you will need the following ingredients: dense unabi berries (about 1 kg), sugar, citric acid, water and cinnamon. First, the fruit is boiled for about 5 minutes in boiling water, then sugar and citric acid are added. The billet is infused for 6 hours, and then boiled for about 30 minutes and rolled into jars. Very simple and tasty.
In China, the addition of boiled fruits to rice, the use of marinades, sauces, is popular. In the confectionery industry, unabi is used as a filling for buns. Jujube powder is added to flour for baking bread. Due to the high content of carbohydrates from the fruit produce wine.
Unabi is an incredibly useful, but not the most popular product. At the same time, its cost does not exceed the price of basic dried fruits, therefore it is quite realistic to include zizifus in the diet (at least in dried or dried form). It is only important to get acquainted with the list of contraindications, which, however, not so much.