Herbs have long been the main drug, even with the development of the pharmaceutical industry have not been completely forgotten. Natural medicine is still relevant because of its relative safety, which is a smaller number of contraindications and adverse reactions. That is why it is important to know the features of some of the most accessible medicinal herbs. In particular, thyme and oregano.
Oregano: Useful Spice
Oregano tea is an old proven remedy for insomnia; Often it was replaced with warm milk, which was also mixed with oregano decoction and honey. The same herb helped to relieve spasm of headaches, calmed the nervous system, which allows to judge its strong sedative effect. What other value has oregano?
- As part of oregano, not only ascorbic acid and bioflavonoids, but also tannins, as well as essential oils, causing its strong odor. In addition, it contains a lot of fiber, which has a positive effect on the work of the digestive tract.
- The most pronounced diuretic and choleretic action of the plant, as well as its ability to stimulate the secretion of gastric juice.
- The use of oregano reduces the likelihood of the appearance and development of cancerous tumors. It manifests itself more actively in inflammatory processes, which is especially noticeable during a cold. Broths based on it help with stomatitis, toothache and skin diseases, accompanied by the release of pus.
- It is noteworthy that oregano can alleviate the condition of a woman during menopause, as well as reduce the intensity of pain during the menstrual cycle, and normalize pressure.
Italian recipes often feature oregano, and the hostesses are knocked down in search of a mysterious seasoning, unaware that it can be grown on a windowsill. After all, Italian oregano is the very oregano, the positive aspects of which, as you could see, are not limited to the dish and taste.
Divine Herb Thyme
In ancient times, it was believed that this plant can not only improve health, but also save a person from death, and therefore had the unofficial name of “divine” or “resurrection” grass. In fact, there is nothing supernatural in it, but the list of merits of the thyme is really great.
- In the chemical composition of the plant there are tanning and bitter substances, gum, flavonoids, as well as ascorbic acid, vitamins of group B.
- Due to the fact that thyme is a source of thymol, it is prohibited in case of peptic ulcers, inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract mucous membrane, and excessive flow of bile. In healthy people, as well as with low acidity of the stomach, the use of thyme with meat dishes facilitates their absorption and awakens the appetite.
- This plant has tonic and antiseptic properties, relieves weak spasms, destroys parasites (only worms), helps reduce the appearance of rheumatism, relieves the condition of bruises. It is used in expectorants for bronchopulmonary diseases, as well as in complex therapy for the treatment of insomnia.
On the basis of thyme, they not only create seasonings for dishes, but also dry herb for decoctions and infusions — they extract essential oil from the ground portion, in which antiseptics are present: thymol and carvacrol. Most often, the tool is used in cosmetology, for the treatment of non-infectious rash, as well as the restoration of hair follicles.
It is interesting that sometimes the question arises: is thyme and oregano the same or not? Why the confusion started at all, it’s hard to say: if savory and thyme are consonant with the names, then thyme and oregano can only be considered a similarity to their sedative and antiseptic effects on the body, because even outwardly they are not so easily confused. Nevertheless, it is worth emphasizing, finally, that thyme and oregano are completely different medicinal herbs, it is not recommended to replace them with each other.