Headache of a different nature may be the result of excessive fatigue or a precursor of developing pathology. And what do we get the signal of a throbbing pain in the back of the head? Let's talk on this topic.
Why does a throbbing headache occur in the back of the head?
If the pulsating pain syndrome occurs infrequently and does not cause you discomfort for a long time, then most likely the manifestation of such a sign is a result of excessive overwork, emotional tension or stress. The appearance of pulsations in the back of the head is associated with vascular dysfunction. Blood vessels under the influence of various factors can quickly and sharply shrink or, conversely, relax, resulting in a person experiencing discomfortable pain.
If the vascular walls contract, then this is primarily due to spasms. Consequently, the blood through the vessels does not arrive in the right places. And with the expansion and weakening of the vascular walls, on the contrary, there is a rapid and excessive release of blood to a specific area of the head.
Optionally, the appearance of a pulsating pain in the back of the head will be associated with the development of a disease. If the attacks of pain are single and short, then there is no cause for concern. In a healthy person, a ripple in the occipital region may appear for the following reasons:
- Due to a sharp rejection of coffee. In this case, the pulsation in the back of the head will appear if you previously consumed daily caffeine in excess of the established measure. Due to the rejection of it, the vascular walls begin to rebuild and change the already usual way of functioning.
- While smoking. Such a bad habit causes a lack of oxygen, with the result that headache can appear as a pulsation in the occipital region.
- As a result of the stress situation. Any psycho-emotional upheavals adversely affect our health. During experiences or excessive stressful situations, the blood vessels begin to narrow and expand more quickly, resulting in pain syndrome with a characteristic pulsation in the back of the head.
- Incorrect neck position during night rest. Often people complain after waking up to a throbbing pain. It can occur if you use a hard and uncomfortable pillow for sleep. In addition, the cervical spine, which is in a dream under constant stress, affects the functioning of the vascular walls and nerve endings, as a result of which the painful pulsating syndrome may appear.
- Throbbing pains can occur when sitting in the wrong position or reading books in an uncomfortable position. The pain syndrome in this case will be due to the constant tension of the cervical spine.
If painful attacks, which have a pulsating character, pass arbitrarily without taking pharmacological preparations, for example, as a result of changing habitual life conditions, then you have no reason to fear for your health. In cases where such pain syndrome is permanent, systematic and long lasting, suspicion of the development of pathology arises. To eliminate this symptom, you need to contact your doctor, undergo a full-scale examination and cure the cause of the pain.
Treatment specialists are of the opinion that pulsating headaches in the back of the head can be associated with the development of a number of diseases:
- intracranial hypertension;
- vegetative dystonia;
- vascular spasms;
- the development of inflammatory processes in the occipital nerve;
Often the occurrence of pulsating headaches is associated with professional activity. In medical practice, this condition is called stress pain.
Pain in the nape of the right
Addressing to the attending specialist, we, as a rule, tell about the place of localization of a painful attack. If the attacks of pain appear on the right side of the head and are pulsating in nature, this may be due to the development of cervical osteochondrosis. In the event of a malfunction of the spinal column, the occipital nerve can be pinched, as a result of which a person experiences a pulsating pain syndrome.
In the future, the pain can change its character and become acute or shooting. If you noticed that the pain syndrome appears or increases after excessive physical exertion, do not overstay a visit to the doctor. This is the first sign of the development of pathology of the cervical spine.
The appearance of pain on the right side of the neck can be associated with a sharp pressure drop. As a rule, the pulsation in the back of the head is associated with hypertension. In this case, you should immediately consult a doctor, otherwise this condition may trigger the development of a stroke. In some cases, when a pulsating type of painful attacks occur in the right back of the head, doctors diagnose migraine, which requires complex treatment.
What do pains on the left side of the head?
The appearance of a pulsating type of pain on the left side of the neck can be associated with the development of a disease such as spondylosis. With the development of this pathology on the cervical vertebrae, growths are formed, as a result of which the movement of the neck is hampered and pain appears at the slightest physical exertion. The pain in this case can give to the left side and even behind the ear.
Another common disease that is accompanied by the appearance of a pulsating pain syndrome in the occipital region on the left is considered to be myositis. This pathology develops as a result of hypothermia and inflammation of the muscle tissue of the neck. The most common attacks of pain occur when bending the body. The pain syndrome gives in the scapular part and the shoulder girdle.
As you can see, there are an uncountable number of reasons for the appearance of throbbing pain symptoms in the back of the head. They may be associated with the development of serious pathology or your habitual way of life. Try to adjust the diet, do sports, choose the correct orthopedic accessories for sleep, and massage the cervical vertebrae. If the attacks of pain intensify and do not go away on their own, do not delay the visit to the hospital. Be healthy!