People's omen says: "Whoever finds a golden root, good luck and good health will accompany him for the rest of his life, and he will live in this world for two centuries." Rhodiola owes her popular name “golden root” not only to the color of the roots, but also to their incredibly powerful effects on the human body.
Help - Rhodiola Rosea
Rhodiola rosea is a herbaceous perennial of the Crassulaceae family. It is rare and included in the Red Book of the Russian Federation. The taproot of the plant forks off multiple fleshy side roots. Stems about Rhodiola straight, reach a height of 45-50 cm. Leaves are alternate, oblong elliptical shape, scaly in the lower part. Small flowers of yellow color (and not at all pink, as many people think by name) are gathered in corymbose inflorescences. Fruits are red or yellow-green leaflets about 10 mm in size. Flowering time: June-August. The fruits ripen in early autumn.
Where to look for Rhodiola Rose?
Rhodiola rosea is distributed mostly in the north of the European part of Russia and in Siberia, in the mountains. Rhodiola grows in the valleys of mountain rivers and streams, on stony placers, in cracks of rocky outcrops, in coniferous forests among stones, and also on damp sands of mountain and plain tundra.
Growing Rodioda Rose
- Rhodiola grows well in culture, light sandy soils are preferable for it, but it will also grow on ordinary garden soil with good drainage. After adding sand to it (approximately 10 kg per 1 sq. M), heavy clay soils also become suitable for growing Rhodiola rosea.
- To cultivate a plant, an open sunny plot of land is needed, which should be regularly and evenly moistened while growing rhodiola.
- Rhodiola reproduces in two ways: vegetatively and seeds.
- For vegetative propagation, you can prepare segments of rhizomes 50-60 mm long with 2-3 buds of renewal, they should be placed at a depth of 1-1.5 cm when planted, not lower. Most often, Rhodiola is propagated by seed, as it is much easier. It is best to do this in the late fall, at home in boxes with prepared soil.
- Rhodiola seeds need a temperature of 15-20 degrees for germination. Try not to sow the seeds too deep.
- After the first year of growth, the rhodiola stems reach 8–12 cm in height, and by the end of summer or in the spring of the second year of life they are ready for transplant to a permanent place. Seedlings should be placed with a distance of 60 cm between the rows and 30 cm between each plant in a row. Rhodiola, planted from seeds, begins to bloom for 2-3 years.
- Harvesting rhizomes can begin 3-4 years after planting.
For other useful information about planting and growing Rhodiola Rosea, see Rhodiola Rosea’s article: Growing and Using.
Features of the collection of Rhodiola Rosea
Medicinal raw material of Rhodiola Rosea is its rhizome.. Rhodiola should be harvested in the fall, after the fruit has ripened and sown its seeds. When digging up the rhizome, in no case do not uproot it completely - break down only a part of the root, leaving 10-20% intact. This is necessary for further reproduction of rhodiola. The more roots remain in the soil, the greater the chance of restoration of rhodiola thickets.
To dry the raw material of Rhodiola Rosea should be quick, so for this purpose it is necessary to use a stove or oven, heated to 34-40 degrees. Before drying, the roots must be cleaned of dirt, rinsed and podsit slightly, and finally, cut into small pieces up to 5 cm in length. Ready raw materials are stored in cardboard boxes. Shelf life - 1 year.
- Contraindications: hyperexcitability, feverish conditions, hypertensive crisis; Pregnant and lactating mothers, as well as children under 12 years old, Rhodiola Rosea drugs are also contraindicated.
- Side effects: Allergic reactions, insomnia, headache are possible.
Rhodiola Rosea Recipes
Rhodiola rosea with diabetes
100 g fresh root rhodiola pour 1 liter of vodka, insist 2 weeks, then strain and squeeze. Tincture should be taken 20 drops before each meal for 30 minutes.
Tincture of Rhodiola Rosea
50 g of dry chopped root pour 500 ml of 40% alcohol, leave for 10-15 days, strain. Take 20 drops before each meal for half an hour. The course of treatment is 14-21 days.
Rhodiola rosea extract
Liquid extract of Rhodiola Rosea should be drunk 5-10 drops before each meal for 20 minutes. The course of treatment is 14-21 days, in psychiatry - up to 60 days. The use of rhodiola extract may be accompanied by individual hypersensitivity to the drug (for example, irritability, insomnia, headaches may occur).
To enhance immunity
Mix in a ratio of 1: 5 erased into powder the root of Rhodiola rosea and 40% alcohol, put in a dark place and leave for 21 days. After this time, strain and squeeze the raw material. Take 20 drops before each meal for 20 minutes.
Mix in a ratio of 1:12 dry crushed raw materials of rhodiola and 70% alcohol, insist the resulting mixture for 14 days at room temperature in a dark place. Strain the prepared tincture and take 10 drops before each meal.
Rhodiola rosea for the treatment of purulent wounds and bedsores
1 tablespoon of the dry crushed raw materials of rhodiola pour 300 ml of boiling water in a thermos and leave for 4 hours. Strain the infusion and use within 2-3 days in the form of lotions and compresses.
Infusion of Rhodiola Rosea
1 tablespoon of the dry crushed raw materials Rhodiola pour 1 cup of boiling water, leave for 4 hours, then strain and squeeze. Take 125 ml of infusion before each meal.