Men always want to stay strong and energetic. To do this, you need to monitor your health. One of the most important indicators of what happens in the body is the erythrocyte sedimentation rate. It can be determined by laboratory blood tests. The rate of ESR in men varies depending on various factors.
ESR indicates the presence or absence of foci of inflammation in the body, as red blood cells react to infection and the development of diseases. The body of the representatives of the stronger sex differs significantly from that of the female, therefore, in order to avoid medical errors, to determine the rate of ESR in the blood of men should be based on physiological characteristics.
How should red blood cells behave normally?
Many people expect to see the same blood test results from healthy men. But this is impossible, because with age, the erythrocyte sedimentation rate increases significantly. In order not to worry about your health ahead of time, you need to compare the ESR indicators at different ages on the table and make sure that they are normal for a man of this age group.
Number of years
8-12 mm / hour
8-14 mm / hour
9-14 mm / hour
10-14 mm / hour
12-20 mm / hour
16-30 mm / hour
22-35 mm / hour
In addition, red blood cells settle faster if a man is constantly subjected to heavy physical exertion, is in a stressful situation, or is malnourished.
What does the ESR report?
If the ESR remains high for a long time, the patient cannot do without consulting a general practitioner and conducting a comprehensive examination of all organs and body systems for accurate diagnosis. The most common causes of accelerated sedimentation of red blood cells in men are:
- acute or chronic viral or infectious respiratory disease;
- fungal infections;
- cardiovascular diseases;
- anemia of any kind and origin;
- allergic reaction;
- metabolic or thyroid function;
- purulent tissue damage;
- the postoperative period;
- autoimmune disruptions;
- pathology of the genitourinary system;
- abundance of fatty foods in the diet;
- overweight or underweight;
- recent vaccine administration;
- malignant neoplasms.
Too low ESR is also not a reason for joy. This indicator decreases due to:
- serious blood diseases for which its viscosity increases;
- chronic inflammatory diseases of the excretory organs or the liver;
- acute heart or respiratory failure;
- cancer of the circulatory system;
- frequent bleeding;
- restrictions on food or refusal to eat for a long time;
- frequent treatment with antibiotics, analgesics and hormonal agents, including sex hormones, contraceptives in pills.
It is important to keep in mind that the ESR in men only changes by 2-3 days of illness, and after successfully completing the course of treatment for a few more months, there will be slight deviations from the norm in the blood test results. The intensity of the pathological processes can be judged by how far the figure you see on the medical form is far from the indicator indicated in the table.
How to donate blood so as not to distort the results of the analysis?
The human body reacts differently to various factors and stimuli that act on it during the day. Therefore, it is important what time and in what condition a person will visit the clinic for blood testing. To make the ESR indicator as accurate as possible, do not make a man get upset and waste time on visiting diagnostic procedures, you need to:
- donate blood for general analysis in the early morning;
- do not have breakfast before the delivery of the "material"; only allowed to drink some water;
- maintain a calm emotional state;
- avoid too much physical work;
- for a couple of days limit the number of fatty dishes on the menu;
- a few days not to use strong tea, coffee, alcoholic beverages and immunomodulatory drugs.
The pledge of physical strength of a man is the timely detection and elimination of inflammatory processes in the body. In order not to miss the onset of the disease, each adult representative of a strong half of humanity must at least 3-4 times a year take a general blood test and visit a local therapist.
The sedimentation rate of red blood cells is an indicator that indicates the state of the whole organism. Knowing what the ESR norm in men depends on, each representative of the stronger sex can learn about the beginning of the inflammatory process and turn to diagnostics specialists in order to start treatment promptly and avoid complete or partial disability.